Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2004 4:42:43 PM EDT
I've had this Colt for several years now and it's been a really good one, I've injoied fixing it up a little along, but yesterday at the range I began to notice that it would stovepipe on the last round at least 50% of the time, I only had 2 mags with me but it did it on both mags...Sound like it's time to replace the spring in her? Are wolff still considered one of the top quality makers?

Or, are there other things that would cause this?

Thanks in advance.

~Crpdeth
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:18:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Give her a new recoil and firing pin spring and a really thorough clean and lube. She's earned it. See if that doesn't cure the problem. Wolff definitely, but don't go too heavy on the recoil spring.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay Ikor:

I dissassembled the "fireing pin housing/assembly" which I had not done before, I had been a little unsure of myself in the past, and had been spraying gun scrubber in the holes as best I could, followed by lube...Not good enough!

The extractor was a bear to get out because of the grit, I'm a little ashamed of this as I like to keep my firearms spotless, but lessoned learned while im still young. :-)

I hope to get to the range tomorrow afternoon, and see if this helped any...Sure didn't hurt.

If it's "back to the drawing board" a recoil and fireing pin spring will be forthcomming.

10-4 on the weight of the spring...I shoot moderately warm hand loads, so I was figuring just above factory at 17-18 lbs....Sound good?

Thanks

~Crpdeth
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I use wolff 18 1/2 pound springs in my goverment models and 20 pound in my commanders.

Work for my light reloads loads and factory loads.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:57:43 AM EDT
[#4]
USA, What Lb do you use for heavy/heavier loads (5.5Grns Bullseye, 230Grn FMJ RN) in a Commander?

My spring sets came in, (16Lb and 18Lb Wolff) but rather than install one of them I just carried them with me to the range along with a Wilson mag I picked up at the gun show Sunday...I was hopefull, but never expected to shoot 50 rounds of warm reloads and 50 rounds of Winchester factory loads with only one stovepipe, which was the very last round all together, and I was doing a "tactical shoot" to burn off the last 5 rounds, and limp wristed badly...I really think my problem is solved, I mean it blows my mind that a total of 5 older mags (Shooting Star, Colt) started letting me down at the same time, but it sure looks that way.

Looks like I have some good back up springs for later.

~Crpdeth
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:35:29 AM EDT
[#5]
If you continue having problems You would benefit from a reliability package having the extractor and ejector tuned for proper ejection. You can check out my website for pricing www.firebladesystems.com

Randy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top