Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2013 6:31:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2013 6:54:25 AM EST by samsgreen50]
Hey guys, a buddy turned me on to this yesterday and since I don't currently own a Colt 1911 I thought I'd ask.

Its a Mk IV series 80, Not sure if I would call it stainless or satin, it seems to be a mix.

It appears to be in what I would guess 75-80% condition.

Disposable income is kinda tight but I'd REALLY like to have 1 nice Colt 1911.

What do yall think?

ETA, not trolling or anything. I see on other boards what people are ASKING for them, which means little.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:58:04 AM EST

Sounds like decent price to me..

Originally Posted By samsgreen50:
Hey guys, a buddy turned me on to this yesterday and since I don't currently own a Colt 1911 I thought I'd ask.

Its a Mk IV series 80, Not sure if I would call it stainless or satin, it seems to be a mix.

It appears to be in what I would guess 75-80% condition.

Disposable income is kinda tight but I'd REALLY like to have 1 nice Colt 1911.

What do yall think?

ETA, not trolling or anything. I see on other boards what people are ASKING for them, which means little.

Thanks
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:31:49 AM EST
Assuming its mechanically sound the finish can be brought back to life with some scotch brite pads. . If its an 80 series it's stainless...if the barrel hasn't been monkeyed with and the feed ramp is unmolested most issues can be resolved with extractor tension and a few Wilson 47 d magazines ..go get it
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:55:39 AM EST
It seems to be mechanically sound, that being said who knows. The present owner claims to have had it looked at by a local gunsmith whom I trust, so that's easily verified.

I should have quoted you when you mentioned the feed ramps, enlighten me please as I have heard that most need to be modified.

I have only owned 2 1911s, a RIA years ago and a Kimber 10mm. The RIA was I thought junk, gave it to my brother who bought new mags and its 100%. The Kimber was finicky and required feed ramp polishing.

I have been thinking about this gun most of the day, I just don't want to make a mistake.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:42:27 AM EST
That's a decent price ,

somebody else said it , but worth repeating - check for "bubba tracks"
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:05:51 PM EST
Assuming someone hasn't monkeyed with it, It's a good price. Gray scotch brite pads can clean up the finish.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:01:07 PM EST
I have a stainless Series 80 Government model. I would gladly pay that to get another one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:04:29 PM EST
I have a stainless 80.

Never had any issues. However the barrel is not ramped so I stay away from polymer tip ammo, Just in case...

For under 600 I would snap that up fast.
Page Handguns » Colt
Top Top