Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 9/8/2013 7:31:46 AM EDT
Hey guys, a buddy turned me on to this yesterday and since I don't currently own a Colt 1911 I thought I'd ask.

Its a Mk IV series 80, Not sure if I would call it stainless or satin, it seems to be a mix.

It appears to be in what I would guess 75-80% condition.

Disposable income is kinda tight but I'd REALLY like to have 1 nice Colt 1911.

What do yall think?

ETA, not trolling or anything. I see on other boards what people are ASKING for them, which means little.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Sounds like decent price to me..

Quoted:
Hey guys, a buddy turned me on to this yesterday and since I don't currently own a Colt 1911 I thought I'd ask.

Its a Mk IV series 80, Not sure if I would call it stainless or satin, it seems to be a mix.

It appears to be in what I would guess 75-80% condition.

Disposable income is kinda tight but I'd REALLY like to have 1 nice Colt 1911.

What do yall think?

ETA, not trolling or anything. I see on other boards what people are ASKING for them, which means little.

Thanks
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Assuming its mechanically sound the finish can be brought back to life with some scotch brite pads. . If its an 80 series it's stainless...if the barrel hasn't been monkeyed with and the feed ramp is unmolested most issues can be resolved with extractor tension and a few Wilson 47 d  magazines ..go get it
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#3]
It seems to be mechanically sound, that being said who knows. The present owner claims to have had it looked at by a local gunsmith whom I trust, so that's easily verified.

I should have quoted you when you mentioned the feed ramps, enlighten me please as I have heard that most need to be modified.

I have only owned 2 1911s, a RIA years ago and a Kimber 10mm. The RIA was I thought junk, gave it to my brother who bought new mags and its 100%. The Kimber was finicky and required feed ramp polishing.

I have been thinking about this gun most of the day, I just don't want to make a mistake.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#4]
That's a decent price ,

somebody else said it , but worth repeating - check for "bubba tracks"
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Assuming someone hasn't monkeyed with it, It's a good price. Gray scotch brite pads can clean up the finish.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a stainless Series 80 Government model. I would gladly pay that to get another one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a stainless 80.

Never had any issues. However the barrel is not ramped so I stay away from polymer tip ammo, Just in case...

For under 600 I would snap that up fast.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top