Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2010 2:25:45 PM EDT
I was offered a Colt Series 70 MKIV in a trade and don't know too much about Colt 1911's. I was told it was mint in box with a custom trigger, sites and ss springs. I was told it had one box of ammo through it with no problems.  Any comments about these guns? What is their value? I want to make sure I'm not getting hosed in the deal. From what I've read they go for just under $1000 but that could be off.  Thanks for the previous responses, any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#1]
An original Series 70 Gvmt in pristine condition, UNMODIFIED, with box and paperwork might bring in excess of $1K to the right buyer, who is looking for the real deal for his collection.  A NIB, apprently unfired, example sold locally at a local shop for $1100.

That said, your post said that the piece being considered has been modified,  (sights, trigger, springs, etc). Depending on the mods, who did them, and what documentation there might be, in my opinion the value has been signficantly discounted unless the original parts are available and the pistol can be restored to a truly original state.  With no more info and no pics, I'd hazard a guess of around $800 for a lightly modified S70, with no bubba smithing, no rust, etc.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
An original Series 70 Gvmt in pristine condition, UNMODIFIED, with box and paperwork might bring in excess of $1K to the right buyer, who is looking for the real deal for his collection.  A NIB, apprently unfired, example sold locally at a local shop for $1100.

That said, your post said that the piece being considered has been modified,  (sights, trigger, springs, etc). Depending on the mods, who did them, and what documentation there might be, in my opinion the value has been signficantly discounted unless the original parts are available and the pistol can be restored to a truly original state.  With no more info and no pics, I'd hazard a guess of around $800 for a lightly modified S70, with no bubba smithing, no rust, etc.

+1

Unfired, pristine condition unmodified in the original box may fetch $1000.

I'd say less than $800 since we know the gun is modified and has been shot and I would assume since it has sights and a trigger job it probably can't be returned to the original state.  I think skipsan is being generous.

$700
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#3]
That's an old-school "custom" job from the '70s or 80s.  The slide was milled to fit a S&W revolver sight, which is irreversible (i.e., you are stuck with that sight).  The front looks like a Millett dual crimp, which also pretty much means you are stuck with it since the slide was drilled with a second hole.

Assuming that nothing bad was done to the barrel/slide/frame, I would say that is worth $500, tops.  Probably closer to $450, and I would want to very carefully inspect it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's an old-school "custom" job from the '70s or 80s.  The slide was milled to fit a S&W revolver sight, which is irreversible (i.e., you are stuck with that sight).  The front looks like a Millett dual crimp, which also pretty much means you are stuck with it since the slide was drilled with a second hole.

Assuming that nothing bad was done to the barrel/slide/frame, I would say that is worth $500, tops.  Probably closer to $450, and I would want to very carefully inspect it.

Would the rear sight area be able to be milled out for an adjustable sight if nothing else?

All the same... as it sits right there, hopefully you take no offense, but for me personally...

I'd trade for it for a discounted rate, then put a .22 conversion slide on it if you are unable to put any other kinds of sights on it...
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#5]
thats one ugly ass 1911
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it looks alright. The right buyer may give you $800.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Now that I see it, $700 may be too much.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 1:49:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
thats one ugly ass 1911

Kinda harsh. I mean, it just has different sights.

Off-beat, yeah, but it's not like someone spray-painted it tie-dye and put Sesame Street stickers on it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:15:16 AM EDT
[#10]
The original Series 70's also had grip's with the round-gold Kicking Colt emblem in the center of the grip.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 2:27:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Those are pretty well period correct rear adjustables.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 4:14:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks good and if it works good and makes you happy then I am delirious.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 5:56:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I sold one not too long ago, not in that good of shape and got 700 on g-broker...  I had no box either..

Quoted:
I was offered a Colt Series 70 MKIV in a trade and don't know too much about Colt 1911's. I was told it was mint in box with a custom trigger, sites and ss springs. I was told it had one box of ammo through it with no problems.  Any comments about these guns? What is their value? I want to make sure I'm not getting hosed in the deal. From what I've read they go for just under $1000 but that could be off.  Thanks for the previous responses, any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn158/danfri81/blackberry002.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn158/danfri81/blackberry001.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn158/danfri81/blackberry003.jpg

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the info everyone.  I decided not to make the deal after all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top