Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2006 4:16:43 PM EDT
I just bought a brand new NRM Colt 1911;  when I took it out of the box, I noticed on the far side of the frame, where the slide stop goes, a factory defect.  It appears that when this side of the hole was cut out out that the machinist started too high in the frame, so the hole starts bigger than it is and angles down to make the hole complete.
Isn't this part the weak link in the chain?  I don't know if I'm gonna have a hard time from the dealer or not when I take it back, I'm worried with Colt changing hands that it'sll get lost in the transition if I sent it back..
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Got a pic?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's a steel frame, no worries, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I'm hoping you're not talking about the notch cut out of the left hand side of the slide... the notch for removing the slide stop?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I'm hoping you're not talking about the notch cut out of the left hand side of the slide... the notch for removing the slide stop?

No it's on the frame, I'm not sure of the nomeclature;  on the frame, where the slide stop goes in on the left side of the frame, you know it comes out on the right side.  On the right side of the hole it comes out, it looks like the drill started too high so they angled the drill down to where it was supposed to create the hole for the slide stop to come through.
I don't have pictures yet, I bought it from a reputable dealer here in Dallas, hopefully they'll exchange it tomorrow.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1..I have read this 4 times with with my 1911 in my hands trying to understand what he is saying and I still cannot...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1..I have read this 4 times with with my 1911 in my hands trying to understand what he is saying and I still cannot...

(sigh)...the hole where the slide stop comes out on the right side of the frame looks like it's been reamed to make the post on the slide stop fit the hole.....
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I think you are talking about the slide stop hole in the frame. If the gun is pointed downrange, you are refering the the hole on the right side of the frame, yes?

With the slide and barrel removed,  does the slide stop pin have excessive play?
Is the hole alot bigger than the slide stop pin?

If so, I wouldn't fire the gun.

The slide stop on a 1911 is a very important part, it holds the hole gun together, and is responsible for how well the barrel fits in the gun.

I'd take the damn thing back and look closer when shopping for a 1911.

PS - I sure would like to see a pic,   any chance you could take one before you return it?

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:54:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Ryann - sometimes the right side of the frame, ejection port side, (where the slide stop proturdes out of the frame) is countersunk to make the slide stop removal easier.  Normally this is accompanied by shortening the slide stop so that certain kinds of jams are minimized during use.  I personally don't remember seeing this feature on a new Colt but I certainly haven't seen them all.  Hope this helps.  JD
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#10]
All now a moot issue-I took it back to Bachman Pawn & Gun and exchanged it for another one.

Thanks for all the replys
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
All now a moot issue-I took it back to Bachman Pawn & Gun and exchanged it for another one.

You did what?  Dude!  If you were describing what I think you were, its normal and actually required.  You're talking about the cut out where the slide stop actually engages the magazine follower right?  That hole starts up around the frame rail and nesltes down next to the plunger tube.  The top has to be a bit larger as that is the way the slide stop is shaped.  Beyond that, it doesn't even really matter.  Some guns have that cut all the way through the frame rail.  It doesn't hurt a thing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You did what?  Dude!  If you were describing what I think you were, its normal and actually required.  You're talking about the cut out where the slide stop actually engages the magazine follower right?  That hole starts up around the frame rail and nesltes down next to the plunger tube.  The top has to be a bit larger as that is the way the slide stop is shaped.  Beyond that, it doesn't even really matter.  Some guns have that cut all the way through the frame rail.  It doesn't hurt a thing.

I know I'm probably not describing it right, but rest assured it was a factory defect.  The best way I can describe it is, the hole on the right side of the FRAME where the slide stop comes through looked like the machinist started the hole too high on the frame, and angled the drill bit down to the correct position and made the hole.  At the top left side of the hole, it looks reamed out to a downward angle to where the hole is supposed to be.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#13]
And you wonder why Colt can't sell shit
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I know I'm probably not describing it right, but rest assured it was a factory defect.  The best way I can describe it is, the hole on the right side of the FRAME where the slide stop comes through looked like the machinist started the hole too high on the frame, and angled the drill bit down to the correct position and made the hole.  At the top left side of the hole, it looks reamed out to a downward angle to where the hole is supposed to be.

Holy crap.  On the right side?  Yeah, you did the right thing in exchanging it.  That's a strange one.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy crap.  On the right side?  Yeah, you did the right thing in exchanging it.  That's a strange one.  

From everything I know about the 1911 (which is very little) it's my understanding that the holes in the frame for the slide stop are kinda the weak link in the chain....
It wasn't right, I dunno how it got out of the factory...........
Anyway, the dealer was real good about exchanging it (if you go to the Texas Home town forum, you'll see folks bad mouthing Bachman Pawn and Gun, but my dealings have always been nothing but positive, and at least half of my guns have came from there) and it's now a moot issue.

I'm still a Colt dude when it comes to 1911's or AR's, but that's just me.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top