Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2009 11:22:36 AM EDT
I'm tossing around the idea of getting another .22 pistol just for fun, in addition to my SP22.  One thing I'm curious about is noise from the cylinder gap, since I've never owned a .22 revolver before.  Can I expect Colibri or CB's to remain quiet when fired from a revolver, or would there be more noise from the cylinder gap?
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I used  to shoot the super colibri all  the time through my Ruger single six. it was of course louder than through a rifle but still quiet enough for indoor range use without hearing protection.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#2]
They are obviously louder than in a rifle.  About as loud as a capgun, maybe a little louder.  Not the odd silence you get in a rifle.

I have noticed zero difference shooting CB or colibri out of my S&W revolver or colt autos.  I only notice any pressure / blast escaping from the cyl gap on the revolver as you get up into the higher pressure ammos.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot the Colibri's out of my revolver all the time. They sound about as loud as a Black Cat firecracker.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 4:01:29 AM EDT
[#4]
That's about what I was expecting.  Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 9:17:30 AM EDT
[#5]
how much is "quite"?

are you speaking of a mouse fart or?

why not get a can ?

ive shot CCI CBs thru my DB and they were like a cap gun.

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

how much is "quite"?

are you speaking of a mouse fart or?

why not get a can ?

ive shot CCI CBs thru my DB and they were like a cap gun.

A can is on the shopping list, as soon as I move out of IL and to NFA-friendly IN.  I already have the threaded adapter on my SP22 waiting, and you can bet that I'll have the trust set up and the form 4 in the mail before I'm unpacked.  

I was thinking along the lines of an NAA mini or perhaps a .22LR derringer, and whether or not Colibri would be quiet enough that it would rival a can.

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot problem squirrels from time to time with my Beretta Bobcat (Model 21A) and Colibri .22's, and it isn't LOUD, but it will attract attention, even potentially unwanted attention. I do it only when I have no choice and the critter is doing damage that has to be stopped. Those little suckers can chew like rats!

I have a little 16" single shot wire-frame .22 pack rifle (It's called a "Bronco", made in the '60s, doesn't even have a serial number, it didn't come with one) that I use when I don't need absolute concealability and it's much quieter than the Bobcat with Colibri loads, but still loud enough to garner attention when it goes off. It'll sure take care of a pest squirrel, right quick & in a hurry, though.

I was shocked that a "primer-only" load would be so loud.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#8]
i tried the CB cabs in my bolt action rifle and it was much quiter.  

im not sure about you, but as the previous posted mentioned, bring unwanted attention to you.  

btw, im thinking the CBs or any shorts will be loud(er) in your NAA/Derringer.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 3:35:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i tried the CB cabs in my bolt action rifle and it was much quiter.  

im not sure about you, but as the previous posted mentioned, bring unwanted attention to you.  

btw, im thinking the CBs or any shorts will be loud(er) in your NAA/Derringer.

Anything is louder in a Derringer.

the .22magnum ones will make you deaf, even with hearing protection on.  WAT?

Yeah, my example above shooting the CBs and colibris from a S&W K-17....that was a 6" barrel with the cyl gap being about as tight as you can get.  Report was still noticeable.  One or two cracks on land with neighbors spaced 25 to 50 yards apart, and they will catch on after the one or two.  Make it 100+ yards and they wont know unless they have really good hearing.  Subdivision sized plots?  forgetaboutit.   On the other hand, the same rounds coming out of a 16" rifle barrel.  Well the hammer dropping is louder than the report.  My first thought was "oh nice, missfire on first round"  Then you hear the impact "thud" of the slowwwww-ass bullet smacking the treeline.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I love the super colibri out of a 20in barrel single shot. I can't seem to be able to hunt squirrels with anything else this year.  It's just too much fun.  Are the regular colibri any quieter than the supers?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, but they can stick in a rifle barrel. Both types have the warning on the box, but regulars are so slow they have a higher chance of inconsistency in a rifle barrel.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a S&W 317 and a suppressed Ruger MkII––I shoot Colibris in the Smith as much as the MkII––they're both a blast!

The suppressor (integral SRT 7.8" "Professional") is quieter, and the CCI 40gr bullets have more oomph! But when I'm picking apart clay pigeons at 25 yrds, the S&W Colibri combo is just as much fun––more so on some days as it chips away a a clay pigeon, rather than smashing it, like the 40gr CCI load does thru the Ruger.

Before someone else says it––get both like I did it's the ARF.com way!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top