Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2004 5:55:31 PM EDT
It was 8 degrees this morning.  As I was putting on my usual layers (tshirt, flannel shirt, fleece lightweight jacket and heavy outer coat, gloves and boots), it occurred to me that I couldn't carry!

For starters, no good place to put the pistol.  Can't belt carry--two layers to get through, not enough room to do a fast draw.  Pockets aren't really built to put anything like a pistol in them.  Ankle holster--HAH!  Not with a pair of Wolverine boots on.

But the biggest problem I noticed was....gloves.  I don't think any glove good enough for those kind of temps would fit in the trigger guard of any firearm I own.  To me, this is the most serious problem I see.

Anyone put any thought into how to do this?  For you guys in the northern tier--how do you do it?
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 6:14:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2004 6:16:08 PM EDT by SGB]
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 6:16:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2004 6:19:55 PM EDT by twonami]
My winter coat has a big external map pocket with a zipper.
My G35 fits in it nicely
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 7:25:43 PM EDT
I use a zipper pull on my coat I can easily  grab with my gloves on. Yes ya gotta pull the coat away to get to the pistol. Also I use Hatch insulated gloves. Warm  with thinsulate but i can still operate the controls on my pistol.  I carry strong side almost always.
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 7:28:11 PM EDT
I never really button up my coat all the way, I like in the winter I can wear a gun with less printing problems.

I normally hold the coat closed with my left hand as I walk,
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 7:32:43 PM EDT
One of the Cabelas outfitter down parkas has a side zip, thinking about getting this
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 10:15:02 PM EDT
If you can afford to try a few different brands, a shoulder holster system might work for you.
This depends on how you are dressed when you get to where you are going.
I like them.

It doesn't take much to alter clothing for carry.

One of the easiest ways is to take an Uncle Mike's soft style holster and use snaps, buttons, etc. to create a means of securing it inside your coat, a pocket, etc.

Not knowing how you dress, here's an idea that may help.
Try a Patrolman's coat.  The one with a side zip specifically for a belt holster.
You won't want to wear the holster exposed of course, but it may provide you with access to one.

For gloves, try a pair of lightweight gloves like the Isotoners that were mentioned, or a pair of 'liners', inside a loose pair of mittens.  If the mittens have some of that sticky rubber on them (like the Ice-climber's mitts), you can use this to drag the mitten off your hand and still have protection with the thinner glove to draw and shoot your firearm.
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 10:28:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2004 9:11:40 AM EDT by rifle-cop624]
The 5.11 line of new winter/ foul weather coats are outstanding.  I just ordered one after trying one at a trade show.  It has multiple storage for every type of weapon that I'd normally have on my duty belt.

The coolest thing, is that they are coming out with a dress blazer, a barn coat, and a denim jacket that all have the same 5.11 storage capabilities!  Can't wait to get one of each!

Oh yeah, almost forgot.  My S&W 442 fits nicely inside the front pocket of nearly every coat I own.  Pistol is worn underneath, strong side.
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 10:40:12 PM EDT
How do you feel about an ankle holster or wear a bag rig or shoulder rig, ISOTONERS THAT is what I would use
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 2:58:41 AM EDT
for warmth and grip I like the Hatch gloves better. Also they come with Spectra shiels , so are cut resistant too.  They also look sharp.  A friend had a holster pocket sewn into his jacket.  Shoulder rigs are ok but not nearly as easy for use  when ya take a coat off , say in a reastrant.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 12:45:59 PM EDT
Well I live in Traverse City and if I'm all bundled up I use my paddle holster over my right hip and its covered by my jacket.  I never really zip my jacket closed because i'm always in a car or on my way into a store, so its never an issue.   I also use my IWB holster under my sweatshirt and again my jacket is always open.  I don't think I have gone anywhere in 3 1/2yrs of CCW where I encountered a situation as you stated.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 1:33:44 PM EDT
Where I live in Ct it usually isn't  to bad but the last couple of days makes me sorry for you folks in WI and That area.
It has been so cold here you could have strapped a m4 with a bayonet to your chest and no one would give a crap. (well,maybe not)
Some of the thin gloves will work ok but they aren't really warm enough unless you can walk around with your hands stuffed in your pockets most of the time .
I think I could yank a big fluffy glove or mit off and dive into my pocket or under my jacket about as well as trying to shoot with medium weight gloves and cold hands. It would be slow to get started but I know I could get hits once I got started. It could be slow and ugly either way. Takes some thinking and planning to come to your own personal solution. (or best possible plan under the circumstances)
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 4:58:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2004 4:58:33 PM EDT by Rocky9_5]
hey gtcpl2, your close to where I live . I'm bout 70 miles from ya right on the 45 parallel.  IWB or belt holsters are my choice in the winter or late fall.  I don't worry to much for fast draw , just want reasonable access.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 5:20:59 PM EDT
I carry compact guns in the winter in the right front pocket.  If somebody tries to stick me up, I already have the gun pointed at them and my finger on the trigger and they don't even know it.  The perfect gun for this is a five-shot small frame revolver with a shrouded hammer.  It can be fired from inside the pocket without even drawing it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 8:06:00 AM EDT
Im gonna try these for a while..

www.hatch-corp.com/lawpages/mte75all.html
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 4:22:54 PM EDT
Hatch FM2000 Friskmaster with Cut-Resistant Spectra - Click for larger imageHatch FM2000 Friskmaster with Cut-Resistant Spectra

No. 12-1002  These are what i am using. Work fairly well as I have shot with em on.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 5:45:58 PM EDT
I had that problem too living in MA. My solution was to move to AZ and now I stick to single layers
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 9:42:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Redbone:
I had that problem too living in MA. My solution was to move to AZ and now I stick to single layers

Would love to, but I think the Air Force has other ideas on where I'm supposed to live.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 2:52:05 AM EDT
as a resident of the terminally sticky state of florida, i'd like to be the 1st to declare:
<­BR>

HA! HA!

do you know what it's like to conceal a functional size gun in heat that causes profuse sweating in 8-10 seconds?  your tank top or tshirt immediately shrink wraps around your pistol's butt.  you can tell i'm carrying a 3rd gen glock because the sweat has gotten stuck to the finger grooves.

i'd love to be able to wear covering gear.  i wore a jacket to a wedding and my buddy says, "cool!  you could carry all your guns under that thing!"

if i lived up north i'd probably carry an m4 under my parka.  quit yer bitchin!
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:29:51 PM EDT
The only gun I found that a large thick glove will fit into is a HK Mark 23.  Now you just need a coat with a BIG pocket to fit that in.  Another option is cut the front of the trigger guard off a S&W 625 or Tauras 455 Tracker.  Both take full moon clips.  In a pocket holster, with the front of the trigger guard removed, a double action trigger seems safe enough for me.  Once you remove part of the trigger guard you made it almost impossable to resell later if you do not like it.  Thats why I chose the Tauras.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:03:01 PM EDT
it's not too had if I know I'll  be able to keep my jacket on the whole time, in that case I just use an owb holster, often in a cross draw position, or I use a shoulder holster
but ccw in winter when I might be removing my jacket after I get inside sucks since it'd take forever to get to the gun while the jacket is on
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:08:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By lu380:
I carry compact guns in the winter in the right front pocket.  If somebody tries to stick me up, I already have the gun pointed at them and my finger on the trigger and they don't even know it.  The perfect gun for this is a five-shot small frame revolver with a shrouded hammer.  It can be fired from inside the pocket without even drawing it.

eventually I might get a small revovler just for this
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:26:33 PM EDT
The only gun I found that a large thick glove will fit into is a HK Mark 23

All the USP series have enlarged trigger guards too.  Like mine for mid winter carry. M23 are too big for anything  IMO.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:02:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2005 10:06:05 PM EDT by pcsutton]
Try some mechanics gloves. They are warm, and grip like a champ with lots of tactile sensitivity in the fingers...no they ain't condoms before somebody suggests it.

You can pick these gloves up at Autozone or out of the U.S. Cavalry catalog.

www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=8547&tabID=&categoryID=24&pos=16

M65 field jackets have big ol cargo pockets and you can get a lot of colors including black. I have carried some LARGE pistols in the pocket of mine.

Sua Sponte
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:24:06 AM EDT
hey... I know what your talking about with regards to cold weather gloves that have enough dexterity to operate a weapon. As far as the CC aspect, I can only suggest a coat such as the 511 tactical series that has a side slit/opening. Gloves.. Try a pair of nomex flight gloves w/ some of  those "flip-top  gloves /mittens. I have some from Eastern Mountain Sports.  Their fleece mittens , but the thumb and main mitten cover flip off and attach to the back of the glove via a small magnetic attachment. When wearing both in  the flight gloves and fleece mittens  you should be "good to go" in  most weather situations. I live in the NE on the coast and so far the combination has worked well! http://www.ems.com/products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442047437&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302854032&fromTemplate=navigation%2Fsubcategory.jsp&bmUID=1105377554765
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:27:06 AM EDT
sorry my computer skills are lacking! Look for EMS wind pro conversion mittens. they are maid by other companies and by different names. Basicall they are mittens that fold back so the half covered fingers are exposed!   Hope this was a "little" help... AA
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:20:46 PM EDT
The pockets on my Filson are big enough for a 1911.   I've got a Langlitz motorsickle jacket with a built in leather lined pocket.  Most of the time in western Oregon the Langlitz and a sweater is more than enough.  

I am going to try Hatch again.  I got a pair but my dog ate them before I could ever use them.  Are they warm in serious cold?  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:42:04 PM EDT
go to the range and practice - see what works for you. My coats are still flexible enough that I can do the "Hackathorn rip" and get to my IWB pretty quick. Leaving the coat open helps too, and Ive heard shoulder holsters are great for heavy jackets.

Practice shooting with gloves on. I have no problems with my USP - the trigger guard was designed so it could be easily shot with gloves on.

You gotta remember - you don't get something for nothing. It would be nice to walk around in tactical gear with an open top quick draw kydex holster, but you lose concealability and retention. I think to a certain extent, you just have to accept the fact that it will take a little longer to draw your gun with lots of clothes on. Pay extra attention to your environment, and be ready to grab cover first (a good idea anyway).
Top Top