Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
2/21/2020 11:35:28 PM
Posted: 10/19/2004 4:37:49 PM EST
I will ask this question here since it pertains to 1911-style handguns, and because some one else recently asked a similar question in GD and got roughed up pretty good!

I understand about chambering a round and locking the hammer to the rear, but wouldn't it take less time to bring the weapon into action by carrying it with a round in the chamber and the hammer down? That way all you have to do is cock the hammer and let fly.

Before the flames start flying, I am a firm believer in having a round in the chamber; the gun is useless any other way.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:13:54 PM EST
Condition 2 is indeed a valid method of carry. I used it when I carried my 1911. I did use the half-cock notch though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:48:19 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:25:25 PM EST
The "Half cock" is not a safety. I remember reading and article in American Handgunner years ago and the author used the half cock and the weapon went off. while hosltered. John M. Browning designed it to be carried cocked and locked. The man was a genouis, unlike me with my spelling.

On the older Colts, Series 70, they do not have a firing pin disconnector so if you strike the hammer when it's down on a loaded chamber it can fire. However this would be hard to do in a holster. Other side of the argument, if you can hit the hammer hard enough you can also disengage the safety. Depending on your grip it can be faster to carry it cocked and locked. My grip has my right thumb on top of the safety. It's simpler for me to sweep the safety when I grip the pistol. Just me though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:04:36 AM EST
The 1911 is both safer and faster into action...by a large margin...with the hammer cocked and the thumb safety engaged. The tang on the grip safety protects against a blow from the rear on a cocked hammer, but not so much on a hammer that is fully down, The firing pin is spring loaded and shorter than the distance between the hammer face and the breech face and is light enough that without being "backed up" by the hammer in a down position, it will almost never fire the round if the pistol is dropped...even from a great height. If, however, the hammer is down and the gun is dropped hard onto the muzzle, it may fire...I haver seen this happen, but the round simply went into the asphalt.

There is, in fact, no reason to ever lower a hammer over a chambered round. The more you fiddle with a firearm the more the chance for an inadvertant discharge. Chamber the first round, lock the safety "on" and holster...remove the mag, top it off and reinsert in the holstered pistol and leave it the Hell alone unless you need it. If carrying C&L really bothers you, carry it how you choose...just realize that the gun is a bit less safe in any other condition...unless you are planning on carrying with an empty chamber ("Dead Man's Carry") and a whole lot slower into action.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:57:45 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:17:24 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:08:16 PM EST
No matter what type of gun you use for carry, one should be doing dry-practice drills; I'm sure we all agree on this.

With practice, you can draw your 1911 and flip the safety down (from C&L) in one smooth motion going into target aquisition. It isn't that hard to do, and it doesn't take time off the life clock when compared with other options.
Page Handguns » Colt
Top Top