Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2014 12:15:04 AM EDT
Well I have the 1911 bug again. Started shooting handguns thirty plus years ago with a 1911.

During my collecting and carrying years to date, I have been carrying sig p series pistols, xd' sand a Glock 19 but since the first of the year I have got the 1911 bug again.

Picked up a sig Tacops, Kimber pro carry 2,and a s&w scandium framed commander. The smith was used never fired for five bills under msrp from a neighbor who needed the money.

Now my birthday is in two weeks and I would like to add another one. At my gunshop I see high dollar 1911's marked down in the used case. So buying used does not bother me.

My choices that I am looking at are

1. Kimber eclipse like new with few rounds for 800
2. Springfield range officer for 799.
3. Springfield loaded for 800
4. Sog 1911 c3 for 805
5. Ruger 1911 commander used for 695. Customer bought for his snl who hated it and wanted a plastic gun.

Colts are priced out of my price range.

Opinions on my choices and pictures are welcome. Gun will be a working gun for concealed carry and open carry on my family's ranch( comes in handy when a hog takes a dislike to you.).
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:34:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Of those choices the Springfield ro would be a solid choice. Heinie makes an ez fit  fixed rear sight if the adjustable one bothers you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:54:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Of those choices the Springfield ro would be a solid choice. Heinie makes an ez fit  fixed rear sight if the adjustable one bothers you.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
Or the Springfield Loaded.  As I understand the tradeoff, the Loaded has a better rear sight for carying, the RO had more hand fitting from the Springfield Custom shop.  If the Loaded has a nice feel/fitting and you like the rear sight better, I'd look at that one as well.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#5]
The Ruger is priced about $100 too high, especially as a used gun.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Go with the Loaded.  

I don't think the Range Officer is built any different, the adjustable sight kills it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Loaded or RO.

The RO with a Harrison rear is a better choice as the barrel and bushing are better from what I've read.

The flip side is that the loaded I had was a beast and shot anything I put thru it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Or the Springfield Loaded.  As I understand the tradeoff, the Loaded has a better rear sight for carnying, the RO had more hand fitting from the Springfield Custom shop.  If the Loaded has a nice feel/fitting and you light the rear sight better, I'd look at that one as well.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or the Springfield Loaded.  As I understand the tradeoff, the Loaded has a better rear sight for carnying, the RO had more hand fitting from the Springfield Custom shop.  If the Loaded has a nice feel/fitting and you light the rear sight better, I'd look at that one as well.  

The RO does not receive anything from the Custom shop. Newer SA basically all receive the same fit and finish, out side of the trp trophy match line. The RO is a good gun as is the loaded. both can be had in the $700-800 range from Buds.

I owned a newer production loaded (had to sell it due to financial reasons, wish I hadn't). it was just as accurate as my RO, the only thing I hate about the loaded's is SA silver outlined night sights. I prefer a white outlined tritium sight.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I never understood where more hand fitting or Custom shop touches came into the equation when talking about the RO.
As far as I understand all of the SA production line pistols receive the same amount of attention.

Perhaps someone can direct me to concrete evidence I failed to see.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#10]
It was just people jizzing in their pants over the newest cheap 1911.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My choices that I am looking at are

1. Kimber eclipse like new with few rounds for 800
2. Springfield range officer for 799.
3. Springfield loaded for 800
4. Sog 1911 c3 for 805
5. Ruger 1911 commander used for 695. Customer bought for his snl who hated it and wanted a plastic gun.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I never understood where more hand fitting or Custom shop touches came into the equation when talking about the RO.
As far as I understand all of the SA production line pistols receive the same amount of attention.

Perhaps someone can direct me to concrete evidence I failed to see.
View Quote

I believe it comes from SA literature when the RO first came out stating that the RO received the same fitting as the TRP/Trophy match line w/o the bells and whistles. While the older N marked guns, in general, were not fitted as nicely, with all SA sourced from the US now the quality seems to be the same throughout. Although, I think the TRP/Trophy match line still receives a little more attention than the other production lines.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Ruger is priced about $100 too high, especially as a used gun.
View Quote

Yes. I see them new for a hundred bucks less. If I decide to buy another 1911 it will be another Ruger. It's loose where I want it, and tight where it needs to be. It goes bang every time and I can shoot lights out with it. It's made in America by the only American gun company making a full line of guns in house. I've never had to use their CS but see nothing but glowing reports from those who have. All these add up to a win in my book.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I would choose Springer  #3  ....

Also, try and negotiate a bit on the price.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:45:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Loaded

Still don't understand the fascination with the RO...

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Loaded

View Quote

It's a matter of features you want, & don't want.  With a loaded first thing i would have to do is ditch the FLGR, and Ambi safety,  also ro looks cleaner with no FCS.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I would MUCH rather have front serrations and a Novak rear sight cut than no serrations and big nasty LPA or BoMar rear.  

The fixed sights that fit in the adjustable dovetails are absolutely hideous.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would MUCH rather have front serrations and a Novak rear sight cut than no serrations and big nasty LPA or BoMar rear.  

The fixed sights that fit in the adjustable dovetails are absolutely hideous.
View Quote

Or you could just save up &buy a colt series 70  and not have to change out FLGR, Ambi stupid ils msh, have decent  sights and when all said and done spent the same amount of $$$ after correctly setting up a Springfield.  like I stated earlier to each their own.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Seems like a good price on the Eclipse.  Mediocre price on the others.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#20]
The Ruger is a reliable piece, often selling for under $650 if you look around online.
The Colts aren't too far from your price range--check out palmetto state armory.
They had a new 1991 colt commander for $800.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#21]
If that RO is used for 799, no way I would pay that. It's $50 less new at Buds.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Loaded

View Quote

You would have too shoot one to understand.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I've handled and shot multiples of both.  On average, the RO's seem to be better fit to me.  

Perhaps they're not, but it seems that way to me.  

I'd take the RO and switch out the rear sight...again...if it were me.

...and my money.

Oh...and samuse...there's no "jizz" involved in my decision...but thanks for bringing "jizz" into the tech forum...

Is that how you say baby batter in your family?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#24]
For carry... tha C3 would be great.  But for that amount of money you could get a Colt series80 fie 700+
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top