Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 5:42:04 PM EDT
I'm in the midst of overhauling my early 1990's Springfield gov't model (as described here).  So I'm at a point where I need to decide how to serrate the top of the slide.

I've been practicing on some 3/4" schedule 40 pipe because it's very close, dimensionally.  I'm going with horizontal serrations instead of longitudinal because I think they look better.

So what are the pros and cons of the different checkering & serration densities?  I've tried a 10 lpi sawtooth pattern that has way too much bite in one direction and tonight, I experimented with 20 lpi and 40 lpi "V" grooves.  I really love the 40 lpi, but will that have disadvantages?  I'm wondering if 40 lpi will show wear sooner or be too easy to ding.

Here's my 10 lpi sawtooth pattern:

And the traditional V-shaped grooves; 20 lpi on the left, 40 lpi on the right:

All this will come into play again later when I checker the front strap.  I think I'll go with 20 lpi there for grippyness, but I'm curious what the downside may be to other densities.

Oh, FWIW, I'm using a 1/2" carbide end mill with the head of my milling machine angled 45° (or 14.42° in the case of the sawtooth pattern).

[Edit:  Holster wear on the slide serrations  is a big consideration for me -- this will be a daily carry & IDPA gun and I'm planning to use a Milt Sparks VMax II.]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:50:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump for the day crew.

Oh, and ignore the tool marks -- the final version will have much cleaner cuts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top