Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2004 8:31:04 PM EST
I've got a Kimber Classic Stainless, and I've got a brand new set of night sights.

Anybody ever changed their sights out? Do I need to invest in special fixtures or am I better off going to a 'smith? It sure looks like the 'smith option is the less expensive one.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:36:24 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:18:40 AM EST
Kimber will do it, and I think their prices are fairly reasonable.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:39:38 PM EST
I installed a set of bomars on my Classic last month with the help of a friends mill. Scary, scary, scary hour worth of work. I am very pleased with the results. No scratches on the slide. Some filing of the sights was necessary to fit the dovetail. I saved enough by doing it myself to pay for a good supply of Wilson mags, I learned a lot, and I got to do some serious bonding with my Kimber. There was a half hour period where I was cutting through the hardened steel plate around the firing pin that I was questioning my judgement, but all is well now. After taking on the bomar's, I would not hesitate to do a set of regular sights myself. However, if you can find a smith to do it for < $20, I say go for it.

BTW, I used a brass punch and a small hammer to drift the factory sights out, and to install the bomar.

Top Top