Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2014 7:24:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/27/2014 7:36:09 PM EDT by Litwin2015]
I had Jack Keister in Harrisonburg Va Cerakote my Gen4 G23 frame in FDE. I got it back today and I quickly Noticed that the mag is harder to insert and it does not freely drop when released as it did before. I assume it is because the Cerakote needs to be worn in from the particles, but is it possible they heated it to much and messed up the polymer frame.

I will try to post a picture, it looks amazing and a very nice finish.

" />
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:20:56 PM EDT
I had a CZ P07 poly frame go Salvador Dali on me. Not fun.

If you put a fine layer of chalk or other powder on a fully loaded mag and insert it carefully without tapping the sides, you will find where it's binding.
As long as it's even up through the magwell, you're GTG.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:39:41 AM EDT
How hot do they bake it for the cerakote?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:21:48 AM EDT
Because of the ceramic chemistry of Cerakote, parts coated with H-series Cerakote must be baked. Oven is a shielded element type, as open element ovens can have uneven temperatures and can ruin parts. Steel and Aluminum are baked at 300 degrees for 45 minutes and polymer, synthetics, and wood are baked at 180 degrees for 2 hours.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:33:44 PM EDT
Thanks for the info. He baked it at 150 and I took the gun to him today to see what he thought could be possible problems. He noticed that he had made it alil too thick in the upper parts of the magwell and offered to take it down some, but I will just have it wear down naturally with mag changes. So my Babygirl is ok and ready to get back in the holster where it belongs.
Top Top