Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/8/2003 11:41:44 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy a pistol for Conceal carry and home defense. I can't afford to get two pistols so i need a gun that will do both. I'm leaning toward a Walther P99. I just love how it fits. How well does it conceal? It would likely be used IWB with a vest or untucked button up shirt. How about t-shirt/jeans? I'm considering a Glock 26 as well, but really prefer the Walther.

Atvar
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 4:09:07 AM EDT
i personally think that you have made a great choice,i carry the p99 in an iwb in a high noon leather holster called mr softy its a good set up.i dont think you will be dissapointed in your choice.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 8:30:16 AM EDT
I own both a Walther P99 & a Glock 19. They are virtually identical in size. Both are fairly easy to conceal, but not "mini-9's" that feel too small for other than conceal carry. The Glock 19 will run a bit less than the Walther P99. That's my .02

F.A.S. Out
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 1:33:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2003 1:34:40 PM EDT by thedr13]
I would highly recommend the P99. I own one in .40 with the titaniun slide. I love the look and the feel. I'm sure it would be perfect for CCW.

Takes a little practice to get used to the trigger but after you do, you'll love it.

Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:22:02 PM EDT
I have a P99 in the 40S&W. Great pistol!
You might want to check into the SW99 compact. I haven't held one yet but I'm looking.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 2:00:12 PM EDT
I love mine. Nice smooth non-snagging curves, good feel and relatively compact make it a nice CCW.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 1:48:14 PM EDT
I have a P99 in .40 S&W and a SW99 in .45 ACP, my wife has a P99 in 9mm. It conceals as well as a Glock 19 and I carry it when I don't need deep concealment. You might want to get something more concealable later but I think the P99 is a good choice to fill both roles you mentioned. You definately want to have a IWB holster to conceal it. I cary mine in a IWB holster at 4:00 with a button up shirt worn unbuttoned and tail out over a regular T shirt. This setup works great for me and their seems to be alot of people wearing similar get ups so I don't look like I'm carying. (Maybe everyone else is carying too)
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 1:56:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2003 1:57:11 PM EDT by cobra-ak]
Just bought SW99 in 9mm I have small hands and opted for the smallest backstrap. I was carrying a Taurus PT-92 (Beretta clone) in a fanny pack. I have to buy a new smaller fanny pack for the SW99. SW99 much smaller and narrower than Taurus and there are hi-caps available from Mec-gar. Been busy and dry fired only first trigger pull is long but after you get used to it it's OK. Good choice for CCW...
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 2:06:30 PM EDT
I too have both a P99 (green) and a Glock 19. I really like the Glock, but I love the P99. IMO, it is as much a leap forward in firearm design as the original Glock was.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:03:16 PM EDT
I just bought a cheap nylon IWB holster for my taurus 85. i tried different positions but it still prints through my "retail slave" vest.
the larger p99 would be even worse right?
i'll try to get some pics of this set up so you guys can tell me what i'm doing wrong (besides the crap holster)
I really don't want to go smaller than 9mm but i've been considering .25 and .32!
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:09:27 AM EDT
The Glock 26 and 27 are good options for deep concealment. My biggest prob with concelment was the handle length the 26 and 27 have a short two finger handle and conceal well. I have actually worn my 26 with a IWB at 4:00 with nothing but a T Shirt over the handle. The only prob was getting the shirt tail loose enough around my waste and every time I took a pi$$ I had to readjust the shirt tail. I think your slave vest would hide a 26 or 27 well. I don't know about the SW99 subcompact as it has a longer grip. Take your slave vest to the gun store with you and ask them if you can try out different guns for concealment. IMO the 9mm is the smallest I would go with for protection. About your holster I have a Uncle Mikes (size 15 IWB for 3.5" to 4.5" I think) It might be cheap but I can use it with my P99 SW99 or my G26.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 7:05:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2003 7:07:38 AM EDT by KC0CXA]
dont know about the P99 but I thought I would just give you my $.02 on IWB with a T-shirt.

I have carried a Taurus PT145 and now I carry a SA1911 Micro compact IWB with just a tshirt untucked. And everytime before my girlfriend and I go out she allways asks me to make sure I am carrying. So it must not print if she doesnt notice it because I carry all the time even around the house.

HTH

KC

Edited to add that both of my holsters are High noon Down unders, High noon has excelent products and service check them out when you are ready to look for one.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 12:13:35 PM EDT
T Shirt untucked would be good, but I was talking about the shirt tail tucked in and adjusted so it wouldn't print. My wife feels the the shirt tail out looks too sloppy so I was trying to find a way to do it with the shirt tail tucked it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 3:26:10 PM EDT
I too had been looking for a way to carry inside the waistband with my shirt tucked in, and I finally found it in a hard plastic (kydex I think they call it) holster made by a company called COMP-TAC. They have molded holsters for most models, and the one I got for the P99 is outstanding. It has this type of J-hook that allows it to have the shirt tucked in over it. They call it the shirt tucker and have a standard and adjustable model. I got the cheaper standard, and no-one can tell that I'm carrying, and I no longer have the sloppy shirt untucked look. I've only seem these holsters at gun shows here in Texas, but if anyone wants more info, I might be able to look for my receipt and contact information. Note...just so everyone knows, I'm not affiliated at all with Comp-Tac, I just think the holster is a great idea and wonder why no-one else does it.

-TxAggie
Top Top