Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 3:38:49 PM EST
Just curious about this , I know most if not all companies are putting in their manuals that you shouldn't ever use
their handgun with reloaded bullets. I also have read about a few guys with glocks using reloads having
significant failures.

Never the less, I really would like to be able to reduce my cost of shooting via reloading + cast bullets. I use
a fnp in 45 as my carry pistol, and want to get more proficient with it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:59:04 PM EST
you may want to check you manual and if it states anything about using reloads. some gun companies say that it will void the warrenty if you use reloads, some dont.

i belive the Glock issue is with its polygonal rifling. it doesnt like lead. and if you use jacketed afterwards. However, there are aftermaket barrels with lands/grooves type rifling that will handle lead.

if youre an experience reloader, you will now that you will have to work up a load for your gun. so if you gun mfg states taht you will void you warrently using "reloads" then its up to you.

have fun and good luck.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:33:15 PM EST
If your gun has an issue with with lead (like Glock), run copper plated like Berry's
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:34:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/13/2009 4:44:17 PM EST by JHMC79]
O.P.

Three weeks ago I shot over 100 reloaded cast lead bullets through my FNP 45. in a USPSA match with great results.

100% reliability, 0 failures of any sort.

Don't hesitate a minute to run good quality, lubed cast lead bullets through your FNP 45. It has traditional rifling unlike the polygonal rifling in Glock and H.K. barrels.

ETA: The FNP 45 is a great choice for a defensive pistol but I'm curious to know if you carry it concealed on a daily basis?

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:49:37 PM EST
The "DON'T USE RELOADS!!!" warning in the manual is simply the manufacturer's escape hatch for when some window-licker blows up their gun with a double charge.

Most of my guns have never seen a factory round, and many of them have never seen anything but lead bullets.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:08:22 AM EST
Originally Posted By ken_mays:
The "DON'T USE RELOADS!!!" warning in the manual is simply the manufacturer's escape hatch for when some window-licker blows up their gun with a double charge.

Most of my guns have never seen a factory round, and many of them have never seen anything but lead bullets.

Ditto, it is CYA practice for many manufacturers for when reloaders make a mistake. Lead should be avoided in guns with polygonal barrels,for lead can build up quickly in them, causing increased pressures which lead to failure. Aftermarket grooved rifled barrels are available for guns which have polygonal rifling (HK, Glock).
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:29:31 PM EST
Yes most if not all manuals say that. Doesn't matter. If you know how to reload properly, are doing it correctly and safely, you won't have any problems. I haven't had any problems. Even putting thousands of reloads through my Glocks............even the dreaded fohtay!

The issue with Glocks and cast bullets is excessive leading, due to the polygonal rifling. If your FNP has standard type rifling (pretty sure it does), you're just fine with lead bullets.

Alot of people shoot their own cast bullets in a variety of different modern firearms...................go look in the reloading forum.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:15:35 PM EST
I don't have CCW yet , but I do plan on carrying the FNP daily as my gun , there's just too much goodness with
this pistol.

Good to know someone has run cast through their FNP without problems, I figured using lower pressures
(but enough to cycle) should be pretty safe.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:00:12 PM EST
Just follow the correct data for lead bullets, reload as you normally would (safely, taking into account the data, OAL, etc. etc.) and you shouldn't have any problems.

That's why I reload too....................to shoot more for less, or shoot way more for the same amount, so I can get as much "trigger time" as possible, within budget.
Top Top