Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 10:30:17 PM EDT
I live in Washington and was wondering about the legality of carrying while hiking/backpacking...

It would be on an established trail in a national forest.

According to packing.org, in washignton

Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

That seems vague... Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:15:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Basically, if you are outside the cities, doing outdoor/forest activities, open carry is allowed.  Where you do these activities can add rules (national parks vs national forests).
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:36:37 AM EDT
[#2]
My understanding is:  Nat Forest OK,

Nat Parks, not OK  (does anybody know what the penalty would be if caught?)

anyone know if that is correct?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:23:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My understanding is:  Nat Forest OK,

Nat Parks, not OK  (does anybody know what the penalty would be if caught?)

anyone know if that is correct?

Nat Parks NO
Nat Forest Yes
WA State Park?  (In GA, NO.)

I think they have you drawn, quartered, then let the spotted owls eat your entrails in the NW.  In the Smokey Mtn Nat'l Forest, they let the Black Bears eat ya.  

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I think they have you drawn, quartered, then let the spotted owls eat your entrails in the NW.  In the Smokey Mtn Nat'l Forest, they let the Black Bears eat ya.  

rofl!  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Basically, if you are outside the cities, doing outdoor/forest activities, open carry is allowed.  Where you do these activities can add rules (national parks vs national forests).

What about concealed carry?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I suspect the state rules apply.  If you have a permit to carry concealed, go for it.  Personally, I'm more worried about 2 legged varmints than the 4 legged variety.  I like the idea of carrying concealed.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]
ok, so i live in South west VA, i'm not sure i get this, and i'm not being smart i just dont know.

I can carry in a national forest but i cannot carry in a national park? what is the difference, and where can i read these on like... a gov web page type thingie?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:35:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Concealed carry is good everywhere firearms are allowed, assuming the license.  With the CPL you can be open or concealed out in the wild.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok here's what I gather for washington:

Open carry is legit without any licenses in the outdoors.

Concealed  carry is legit without a licence in the outdoors (according to exceptions from above)
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:17:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
ok, so i live in South west VA, i'm not sure i get this, and i'm not being smart i just dont know.

I can carry in a national forest but i cannot carry in a national park? what is the difference, and where can i read these on like... a gov web page type thingie?

Look up the web page of the particular area you will be visiting.  

But yes, National Parks are federal property and guns are almost always a no no.  An exception would be if you were packing through to hunt a non-park area and the only reasonalbe route was through a park.  When I worked at Crater Lake NP hunters could break down their guns and transport them through the park.  I think they might have needed permission for this.  Ask the local Park Law Enforcement Ranger for guidance.

National Forests are public land, different than a park.  They can still institute special rules regarding weapons, but many just go with state law.  Ask the local Forest Law Enforcement Ranger for guidance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top