Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2003 4:12:25 PM EDT
Waiting any day now for my pistol license. I've read the manual, and that I can only carry to and from the range, is this correct or am I understanding it wrong,it seems like everyone carries all the time(at least in all the posts I read on here)
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure what a pistol license means in NY, but in UT you need a concealed carry permit to carry a firearm all the time.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
...it seems like everyone carries all the time(at least in all the posts I read on here)

That's because so many of us live in free states instead of fascist police ones (j/k - I'm originally from the Bronx and still bitter ).

Seriously, you might want to check on the Hometown/NY boards to see about the details in your area. Here in CO, you pay your $152.50, you pass your background check and you get your carry permit. Nothing needed just to own and transport 'em and - *in theory* - open carry is legal (if not always well-advised).

Not bad but not Vermont or Alaska... yet....
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of us live in "Shall Issue" states meaning that if you pass a background check and a safety class (at least those are the requirememnts here in Michigan, they vary from state to state) you can get a permit to carry concealed 24/7.  To get one in NY you usually have to be a celebrity or grease the right palms (sad but true) to get a CCW.  Without a CCW the general rule for transporting a firearm is unloaded, in a locked case, out of the drivers reach (in the trunk or hatch if it is in a car or behind the seat in a pick-up) and the ammo has to be stored seperately (ie glovebox).  DO NOT carry the gun in the passenger compartment of a car with a trunk without a CCW as this contitues the weapon being within the drivers reach and even if it is unloaded and locked in a case, you will still get busted for a weapons violation
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:50:37 AM EDT
[#4]
goto Packing.org and look up what the story on NY is.

Yes, I'm in a Free(r) state - Pennsylvania, and I carry all the time I know I'm staying in state.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#5]
here you can carry a pistol anytime if in a vehicle and pulled over have it unloaded and the pistol in the open ( or in a real damn good hidin place;) ) never know when ya get searched and these cop more croaked then the backwoods roads here. but round here ya can always tell who has a pistol cause everyone with one its in a boot... just look for cowboy boots and a bulge and you found the gun. mine i would hide in inner coat,, either pocket of the coat already made or a self made pocket... but i got used to carryin throwin knifes and learning my body and the limits of it... had pistol pulled twice on me both times i took it away and beat the guy till the handles fell off
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 11:51:13 PM EDT
[#6]
A good IWB holster will beat that self made pocket in terms of a speedy positive draw any day and be just as concealed.

If you feel the need for a back up gun, nothing wrong with pockets in my veiw for a little Seecamp/KelTec type semi-auto or lightweight snubbie, although I'd still have a pocket holster to keep snagging out of the picture.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top