Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2006 10:37:02 AM EDT
I am trying to figure out if in NY if your weapon has to be concealed while driving in your vehicle or remain on your person?  I can't find a clear answer anywhere I have read.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#1]
im not possitive on NY lawss , but im almost sure you can have it concealed anywhere in the vehicle  and you can also have it in plain view inywhere int eh vehicle,

in maine you can drive in your car with it on your lap, or on you dash, for vehicle use, i would use a hardmount vehicle holster, it mounts to your floor, or anywhere you want and has a kydex roto holster on it, i love it have it mounted  under my dash to the floor
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Your pistol permit info packet doesn't have the info?

I would say you are protected if the weapon is concealed on your person if you have an unrestricted handgun permit or are currently in an activity which your permit allows you to carry (hunting/fishing/target shooting...). Depends on the limitations of your counties handgun permit.
I don't think you can have it loaded or accessible in the vehicle if it is not concealed and on you. You cannot transport loaded long arms in your vehicle either. NY sucks for guns. Glad I got away.

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menugetf.cgi

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

http://www.packing.org/state/new_york/
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#3]
as general principle, if your gun is loaded you should never let it out of your immediate control, so keeping the gun on your person concealed if it is loaded is the right answer. if not loaded secured any way you want is fine but it is best to NOT leave it lying in plain view to freak out a passer by or police officer at a roadblock or such. out side of NY city all permits say liscence to carry a pistol- as long as you have an unrestricted permit (if your county does that sort of thing-thank god mine does not)or are gonig to or from a proper place of use as another poster said you are fine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I assume you're talking about a pistol. You can open carry in your home, or on property you own, but out in public it must be concealed. In the case of a vehicle, I would assume that the pistol must be concealed because there is no open carry in NY. If you call the NY State Police in Albany they will be able to answer your question.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top