Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 1/23/2006 11:26:13 AM EST
I just got my FL carry permit a few months ago, but will be going to pilot school soon in a different state. I will either be in TX, MS, GA, or OK, so all these states are gun friendly and have reciprocity with FL. What I am wondering is if my FL permit will be good there since I will be a resident of the state, or if I will need to get a new permit once I move?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:47:21 PM EST
not a lawyer, but I'm 99% sure if you legally change your state of residency you'll have to get a new license in that state. But if you're just living there, but still legally are a FL resident I'd think the reciprocity with your FL license would be enough
but I'm not an expert or lawyer
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:11:28 PM EST
Since your temp in the state no issue with carrying with your FL license.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:12:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 6:13:01 PM EST by Srigs]
Duplicate! Oops...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:53:57 PM EST
I'm not sure how the residency thing works. I enter active duty this May after commissioning, and some time after that I will PERMENANTLY change station to my UPT base; however, my home of record (used for taxes and other things) will remain FL throughout my career. I was hoping I'd get someone in the military with experience in this to help me out.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:56:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 6:57:24 PM EST by USAF_Hop_N_Pop]
dupe- deleted
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:20:25 PM EST
I have the same problem. I just moved to PA from Indiana. I have a FL license but with my IN address. I didn't get a duplicate IN drivers license before I moved and since have changed my license to PA. I'm in the process of applying for my PA carry license so I'm waiting. I went back to IN and tried to get a new drivers license by saying that I had lost it, but the computer said that my license had been changed already to another state. A couple of years ago, this wouldn't have happen, but computers are making the process of keeping track a lot easier.

The cop down at the Philly PD said that I could carry as long as I don't do anything stupid while my license was getting process because I have a FL license, but I thought this was a stupid comment because technically my addresses don't match on my permits. I don't want any hassle with the PD, especially, if I get some dumb as racist or reverse racist police officer or better yet a liberal one that is stuck on him or herself.

Don't even bother changing your driver's license unless you have to. My suggestion. If you are in the armed services, you'll probably be able to get away without changing your license. I'm a student now and I could have gotten away without changing my license, but I was buying a new gun so I had to get a new license in PA.

Be Safe.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:37:28 PM EST
In Texas you are fine. If your Florida license expires and you are a Texas resident, you will then need a TX CHL.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:10:54 AM EST
I'm retired Army and live in OK. Unless things have changed recently, you'll have to get an OK CHL. They are easy to get anyway. I was a FL resident until I retired last year too. FL is one of only a couple of states that your drivers liscense stays good for up to 90 days after ETS.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:43:04 PM EST
It's a little bit of a hassle to get your driver's license in PA when you come in from another state, but not really any big deal. Once you have your driver's licence and residence established, it's just a matter of filling out the paperwork to get your carry permit. It's easier to get your carry permit than it is to get your driver's licence. I'd go through the little bit to get it all legal just in case you actually get into a situation. Regardless of the reasons and the facts and circumstances involved, it will be a very big plus if you have your "paperwork" in order.
Top Top