Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2003 5:55:11 AM EDT
I was trying to remember who and where the XD-9
pistols originated prior to Springfields name being on the gun?
Any hi-caps available?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Bulgaria.  I can't remember the trade name either.

None that I am aware of.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#2]
^wrong, it was Croatia under the HS 2000....and yes, their are high caps available
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
^wrong, it was Croatia under the HS 2000....and yes, their are high caps available

Oh yeah.  Forgive me.  One former commie eastern european country kinda blends in with the other.

it's "there are" BTW . . .

Where are these high-caps and how much?  Never seen 'em.  I might be interested in one of these if I could ever find mags for it at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#4]
XD 40 mags will hold 9mm and the XD9 will accept them....not sure of capacity, but it is more than 10.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
XD 40 mags will hold 9mm and the XD9 will accept them....not sure of capacity, but it is more than 10.

That probably would buy you a couple more rounds than 10.  How about 17-rounders a la Glock?  I have stuck with Glock because (a) I like Glocks, and (b) you can find full-cap mags for them.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#6]
the .40's hold 15, and the XD will also take Berreta mags
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Wow.  I didn't think you would be able to stuff that many in.  And they fit and function fine?  Cool.

Re the Beretta mags, wouldn't you run into the problem same as steel aftermarket Glock mags, that your steel mag chews up your plastic mag catch?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#8]
The XDs have steel mags anyway. 15 9mm rounds in a XD-40 mag works fine in my XD-9.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I could have bought a truck load of HS 2000 pistols not very long ago for $250 each.

At that time you could not even give them away to the average shooter so that did not seem like such a good deal.

Along comes Springfield and they put their name on them and now the same gun sells for $450 and people are fighting over them.

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#10]
The XD is a great gun and would still be underpriced at $600.00. You just can't go wrong with it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow.  I didn't think you would be able to stuff that many in.  And they fit and function fine?  Cool.

Re the Beretta mags, wouldn't you run into the problem same as steel aftermarket Glock mags, that your steel mag chews up your plastic mag catch?

The magazine latch/catch on the XD is steel... not plastic...

One nice thing about the XD is that with a little work to make a mag catch hole on the front of the mag, you can use SW 59/69 series magazines, bretta magazines, and a few other steel bodied magazines. Followers may have to be modified to hold the slide back.

Personally, I'm hoping the AWB ends and we can get regular caps for as cheap as the 10's...

Be nice if my Subcompact XD-9 held 13+ rounds with a magazine that fits flush.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 5:47:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Personally, I'm hoping the AWB ends and we can get regular caps for as cheap as the 10's...

What is regular capacity for the full size XD9?
If it's only 15 then they are available, it's just that the floor plate is marked .40 or .357.

That will be a great day.

17 rd beretta magazines are great, now if only someone would make a magstop to slide on the bottom where it sticks out of the XD grip.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 7:41:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

when they release the .40 subcompact next year, you should be able to do that
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#14]
The HS2000 and the XD-9 both came out after the AWB, so there are no "true" full-caps available, except LEO magazines (which SA will switch out full-caps for the 10 rounders if you have proof of LEO status ...IIRC). SA was pushing some modded Bretta 92 magazines for a while, and the XD could use just about any all metal double stack pistol magazine, Sig, bretta, S&W 59/69...

The XD-40 magazines are VERY close to the same but hold a full 15 rounds of 9mm. They also, like glock, work in the subcompact sized pistol, while sticking out some. Supposedly the .40 Sub mags will hold a full 10 rounds of .40... so maybe, just maybe I'll have a 15 round Subcompact 9mm soon... I think the LEO cap magazines listed on SAs website list the 9mm Sub as holding 12+1, and the regular size being 15+1.

Someone over on HS2000talk.com had some pics of and claimed to have an XD-40 Sub... not photo shopped or anything, and claiming a full 10 rounds of .40 fit in the magazine. I think its a pre production dealer sample... but SA is rumored to be bringing the Sub 40 out within the next few months, so who knows.

I'm not a big fan of the .40 S&W round, but obviously it works for MANY people. I want a Duty (4") size and a Tactical (5") 9mm to go with my Sub... Someone also said they want a .45... and 10mm...

A 10mm Tactical size in a drop leg holster would BE(!!) my backpacking gun... if they made one.

I picked up the XD-9 Sub back midsummer, and have shot it a bit (maybe 1k rounds?). I LOVE it and its my CCW. I almost bought a Glock 26, but the XD's ergonomics, trigger, and sights appeared better. The finish dosnt bother me... some people have had rust problems, but I only had a little bit of rust show up on the cuts on the slide after riding my hip all day in a cheap nylon IWB hoslter while hiking for 12 hours one day last summer. Little oil and a soft cloth and it was gone. I think the only thing Glock has over the XD is the tenifer finish. I think an XD with Armory coat, or other synthetic finish would beat a Glock hands down.

BTW: ignore my horrible grammar and long run on sentances...
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#15]
If you pay a visit to CDNN (www.cdnninvestments.com), you can find pre-ban 17 round Beretta 92F magazines, which can fit the Springfield Armory XD9, for $7.99 each.

It sure beats the $22 for OEM magazines, either XD9 10rds, or XD40 15rds, and you have a full capacity on par with the Glock 17's.

You just need to add a hole for the magazine catch, and play with the follower if you want last shot, hold open.  You just need to be careful about slamming the magazine into the pistol, as you might break the ejector.

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks gents, some really good information here.

So pick up an XD9 and a couple of XD40 mags and I'll be good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top