Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 4/28/2015 4:30:31 PM EDT
I am not interested in buying one. I just keep seeing them advertised and it blows my mind because it doesn't even protect the trigger. Might as well not use a holster. Am I missing something?

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:35:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/28/2015 4:51:31 PM EDT by ajm1911]
Here Breaks up the outline of the gun without being an NFA item
Immediate access, and easy to shoot. This holster is designed to look like a wallet in your pocket.
The additional finger hole beneath the trigger gives you a better grip when firing, and the magazine release
button is recessed so that the magazine will not come out when sitting with the holster in your pocket.
The gun actually shoots above the holster, not through it, and does not conceal the fact that is a gun once it is drawn.
It is actually considered a modified grip, and therefore, it does not fall into the AOW category.
Complies with ATF regulations on wallet holsters
View Quote

From my understanding a wallet holster that allows you to fire the gun without exposing the pistol (hence the slide cutaway) is considered an AOW by itself.

ATF Website
Holster letter from the Firearms Technology branchhere

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:35:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/28/2015 4:37:37 PM EDT by Andrew_Henry]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ajm1911:
Breaks up the outline of the gun without being an NFA item
View Quote

What NFA classification are they trying to avoid?

I don't know a lot about NFA. Is a square shaped gun considered an AOW even if it's still designed to be fired with one hand?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:49:18 PM EDT
It is not the shape.  It is the appearance.  You can build a pistol that looks like a smoker's pipe or a paperback book.

Both would be NFA items, like the wallet which conceals the pistol.  A wallet which only helps to break up the outline is just a pocket holster.

So would a gun designed to look like a camera, (showing my age there), or a cell phone.  (Need to get one of them cell phone thingies, they look mighty handy).

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:51:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By grendelbane:
It is not the shape.  It is the appearance.  You can build a pistol that looks like a smoker's pipe or a paperback book.

Both would be NFA items, like the wallet which conceals the pistol.  A wallet which only helps to break up the outline is just a pocket holster.

So would a gun designed to look like a camera, (showing my age there), or a cell phone.  (Need to get one of them cell phone thingies, they look mighty handy).

View Quote

Oh ok. So a gun disguised as a cane would be under similar classification? What about if someone carries around their SBR in a violin case as I have seen people do. Is that NFA regulated or is it not because it is a case not the actual gun?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:55:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/28/2015 5:04:46 PM EDT by ajm1911]
Originally Posted By Andrew_Henry:

Oh ok. So a gun disguised as a cane would be under similar classification? What about if someone carries around their SBR in a violin case as I have seen people do. Is that NFA regulated or is it not because it is a case not the actual gun?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

If the SBR can be fired from inside the case then yes, the case is an NFA item

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:58:35 PM EDT
got it
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:44:48 AM EDT
Utility? Mostly separate the buyer from their money.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:49:22 AM EDT
I can already see some idiot saying "I can shoot sitting down without drawing, derp, derp"
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:14:45 AM EDT
It's just another type of pocket holster that breaks up the outline of the gun and puts it in a muzzle down position for drawing.  The trigger on guns like the LCP are heavy enough with enough travel it's not going to go off just sitting on the thing.  Never owned one, don't plan to but some folks like them- options.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:39:50 AM EDT
I carried a S&W bodyguard in one of these for a year in my rear pocket.  It breaks up the outline of the firearm, and maintains its position in your pocket.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:47:09 AM EDT
I know a guy who carries one (no, not me) and it seems pretty effective. It does not print (well, prints like a wallet) and it does keep the gun orientated in the pocket for a proper and predictable draw. The leather gives my friend a better hold on the gun while shooting as well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:58:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Makarov:

I know a guy who carries one (no, not me) and it seems pretty effective. It does not print (well, prints like a wallet) and it does keep the gun orientated in the pocket for a proper and predictable draw. The leather gives my friend a better hold on the gun while shooting as well.
View Quote

The leather gives a "better" hold on the gun than what?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:04:42 AM EDT
How is that safe? The LCP doesn't have a safety and that "holster" leaves the trigger exposed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:40:35 AM EDT
Have you shot an LCP?  It's not exactly a hair trigger and it has pretty long travel.  As long as you don't carry anything else in your pocket that could get in the trigger guard- which you shouldn't with any pocket gun- and you don't finger it, it's not really that unsafe.  Plenty of folks carry J-frames or other pocket guns without holsters in their pockets; not my recommendation but folks do it without shooting themselves.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:14:23 AM EDT

This is the prototype High Standard wallet holster.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:24:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
Have you shot an LCP?  It's not exactly a hair trigger and it has pretty long travel.  As long as you don't carry anything else in your pocket that could get in the trigger guard- which you shouldn't with any pocket gun- and you don't finger it, it's not really that unsafe.  Plenty of folks carry J-frames or other pocket guns without holsters in their pockets; not my recommendation but folks do it without shooting themselves.
View Quote

Not yet, but I have the old DAO LC9 which is probably similar. Definitely not my choice, I have constant problems with my phone somehow unlocking itself and then either taking pictures of my pocket, sending emails, or shutting down, all in my pocket without user input! I don't dare keep an uncovered trigger in a pocket.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:38:27 PM EDT
I pocket carry an SP101 all the time when I can't pull off a belt gun and it has quite the trigger pull. I think it's 12 pounds. I'd still never pocket it without a holster. It just seems an unnecessary risk.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:29:37 PM EDT

View All Quotes

They must have worried about The Day of the Jackal type assassinations so they put a tax stamp on it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:59:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/29/2015 8:00:59 PM EDT by cruze5]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:43:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By M4:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4:
Originally Posted By Makarov:

More to hold onto than just that thin, short grip. The finger hole under the trigger helps keep the gun in the hand when fired.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:20:41 PM EDT
I prefer a holster that protects the trigger but that is just me.  I would not get it as I could see it getting hung  up in your pocket.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:08:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cruze5:
i would feel completely safe carrying that holster  

what on earth do you carry in your pocket that could pull a 8 lb trigger
View Quote

Honestly I could see a countertop corner or something else that you bump into pulling the trigger. Although highly unlikely it's something I'd rather avoid.
Top Top