Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/16/2005 6:33:37 PM EDT
I've been browing across internet gun forums, reading various articles, etc and it has come to my attention that GLOCK seems to have quite a bit of problems with their guns.

GLOCK 19 - What's up with the NYPD situation?
GLOCK 21- I read this model would go kaboom.
GLOCK 22/23 - I also read this model would go kaboom, even with factory ammo.

What is up with GLOCKS? Have this issues been worked out yet? I am thinking about getting a GLOCK 17/19/26 for myself, how am I going to trust & depend my life on it?

What brand ammo works best with GLOCKS?

Please convice me to get a GLOCK!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#1]
convince yourself. shoot one. who cares what anyone else thinks.

i own a G21, G22, and G27. they are the only pistols i own.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Have owned a G23 for 10 years now and have many many many many rounds through it.  At least 20K . . . and I have never experience a misfeed or failure.  It is as close to perfection that a mechanical device can aspire to.

Here's the secret - buy one and shoot the shit out of it.  You won't regret it.  I just wish that I had a G17 . . .gotta love the full size 9mm goodness!

Disconnector
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 25k rounds through my Glock22.  No malfunctions at all. What else do you need to know?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Ask a cop. Not the fat nasty one with a doughnut stain. The one with a high and tight and polished shoes. Glocks are like AK-47s, not perfect, but reliable, accurate enough, and durable. In 10 years I have fired 10s of thousands of rounds from several Glocks. I have witnessed millions(?) of rounds fired fom Glocks. I have never had, seen, or had first hand knowledge of a KABOOM. In, fact I have had very few malfunctions ( FTF/FTE). I wouldnt want to shoot a bullseye match with a Glock, but for duty or defense work it is a perfectly fine option.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]
could someone post a link to the G21 abuse thread?

I own some very nice 1911's and love to shoot them.  I carry a G19 because for some odd reason I shoot it the best.  I have carried one for almost 10 years.  I own a couple of them.  The only issue I had was a front site coming loose.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It was more the NYPD then anything. Trying to make the transition from a revolver to an auto.

Yes, any hand gun can have catastrophic case failure. With 3.5 million Glocks out there, the percentages are very, very, small. Mass media and the internet seam to make the few problems bigger then they are. So far all have been ammo related, bad reloads and bad factory ammo.

See above

Try whatever is available in your area. Glocks will eat just about anything. Just stay away from reloads & lead bullets.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#7]
First, judging by some of the "characters" posting on the internet I'd take everything with a grain of salt. If you spend a little time here you'll figure out who is full of it and who you can trust.

Instead of reading about what happened to some Glocks why not shoot one, and I'm not talking 100 rounds through a rental, and find out for yourself. I for one have 10K through my G19 & G17 so far and several here like HotRod9mm have 45K through his G23. If you are wondering about the G21s then read this thread: Bigbore's G21 .  

As for NYPDs G19s I believe their armorers made several modifications to those and that was the root of the problems. If you are truely concerned IM Wave and ask him for the scoop. He's posted it several times and as a NYPD officer he'll be able to give you the truth.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a G35, 21, 20, and 17L and none of them has ever had a malfunction of any kind.
I can't say that about any of my other guns.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine have malfunctioned.  

I just have to take a guess at around 10,000 rounds thru my G19.  Maybe more like 15k.  Hell, now that I think of it, it is probably closer to 20k.  I typically buy ammo 1 to 3k at a time.

There was a time when my G19 would light strike on a case of Greek 9MM grain surplussed.... that had subgun primers and were harder then hell.... so yeah, it choked on those.... bad ammo.

And 90% of what I have shot has been CCI blazer or WWB.  Maybe on three occasions, the WWB box failed to feed correctly, and I think I had one FTE in all those rounds.  I finally wore the spring cups out in that gun.... it never stopped, but I changed them because they were so thin.  Nothing else has been changed.

One time I was practicing in the mud.... and after several mag drops, I got enough dirt inside the mag that I got a fail to feed in my G17.  Only malfunction I recall, and that was due to extreme abuse.

My G34 has never failed.... but I only have maybe 1000 rounds through that one.

I hardly ever clean any of them.... honestly, they dont really get very dirty.

If there is a more reliable pistol out there..... that can take abuse like that and keep going..... I havent found one.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've been browing across internet gun forums, reading various articles, etc and it has come to my attention that GLOCK seems to have quite a bit of problems with their guns.

What is up with GLOCKS? Have this issues been worked out yet? I am thinking about getting a GLOCK 17/19/26 for myself, how am I going to trust & depend my life on it?

You forgot about the problems the DEA classroom instructors have had with the Glock "40".  Glocks are VERY dangerous.  I think there's a video somewhere out there but it's been so long since I've seen it.  You should probably start a post about it and someone will surely provide a link.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope you're kidding.  Blaming that incident on the gun is rediculous.  He pulled the trigger without checking the chamber, that goof asked for it and had no business teaching a class about guns.

The down and dirty answer to the original question is:  Yes, you can trust your life to a Glock.  Hundreds of thousands of military and Law Enforcement Officers do every day.  There's a reason for that.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I hope you're kidding.  Blaming that incident on the gun is rediculous.  He pulled the trigger without checking the chamber, that goof asked for it and had no business teaching a class about guns.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Geeze not this shit again!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice troll.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Dont you remember the video?  He took the mag out, and when he went to holster it, it fired.  Those guns have a way of retaining bullets in the chamber even AFTER you remove the magazine.  That DEA guy had no idea there was a bullet loaded in the chamber.  What a terrible thing that happened b/c of those dangerous guns.  And he was a "professional" too.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:11:09 AM EDT
[#17]
yes you can

i will leave it at that, thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:29:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Just get one.  I bought a Glock 22c as a "throwaway", a cheap gun that I wouldn't care about if it got dropped/scratched/broken, whatever.  It has never jammed in about 4,00 rounds.  It is the most accurate pistol I've ever owned, it quickly became my favorite handgun of all time, and now Glocks are all I will buy.  

In Glock we trust.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:22:47 AM EDT
[#19]
it's not if you can trust a Glock its can you trust yourself with your own life. the Glock like any other handgun is a machine or tool if you don't train with it then it won't be reliable.

I own 2 Glocks, a G19 and G37.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:42:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:02:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Gotta love internet legend.
Glocks or any pistol will be trouble free IF you maintain properly
and don't use junk factory ammo or poor reloads/lead.
BTW my Glocks are perfect and go boom everytime. Best value in Pistols...Period
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:34:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Dont you remember the video?  He took the mag out, and when he went to holster it, it fired.  Those guns have a way of retaining bullets in the chamber even AFTER you remove the magazine.  That DEA guy had no idea there was a bullet loaded in the chamber.  What a terrible thing that happened b/c of those dangerous guns.  And he was a "professional" too.

hr

I've seen the video and that guy was anything but "professional."  In fact, I'm very concerned that he was allowed to work for the DEA at all.  That entire incident was shooter negligence.  His incompetence was the problem not the gun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:36:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

All guns have issues.  It's how you work around them that determines their effectiveness.  Stock Glocks, with quality factory ammo will be extremely reliable.  Have you shot a glock yet?  If not, try one out to see how it feels.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:33:40 AM EDT
[#24]
There are only two gurantees in life, taxes and death.  The rest is up to you.  Glock is a damn fine weapon.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:47:19 AM EDT
[#25]
There is no such thing as a perfect firearm model.. It's just not possible.  Glocks run like a top, and if they have an issue, the company  takes care of it the best they can.

Guns work in a world of very high pressures and extreme wear.  Shit happens.

Glocks are still in use by what I would guess is a majority of PD's in the US, and they sell like hotcakes to the rest of us.  Out of a sample set that large, NOT finding problems here or there would be more suspicious to me than finding a few.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Glocks are simple durable weapons capable of acceptable combat accuracy.
Like anything mechanical, they can fail.   I've seen many Glocks fail.    The majority of the problems I've personally witnessed were problems with aftermarket parts, and improper reassembly of trigger mechanism.    I've seen one Kaboom.  (handload) Mag blew out the bottom and guy reloaded and finished stage at IDPA match before anyone knew what had happend.

I've witnessed many really strange things with other pistols.   Probably the weirdest was when half the slide of a like new Stainless 1911 Springfield blew off (broke off clean) and also launched the guide rod down range.  This was at the Oklahoma State IDPA match.   With proper ammo selection usage, care and cleaning They are good guns.    

I trust my training and abilities. The Glock is just a tool.   A damn fine one though.

I carry a 22 and a 27 almost daily.   If I'm out of the house  on or off duty I most likely have one on me.  

I'm not going to try to talk you into anything.   Only you can make that decision.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Personally I don't think you can be convinced of anything that you are already against on an internet forum.  If you are really that interested then please take the advice of those that suggested going to a local range and renting a couple and finding out for yourself.  Personally I've only shot a couple of Glocks but I think I'm going to end up buying one for CCW here pretty soon.  They shoot well, are reliable, easy to use and the trigger is nice IMO.  

About that video, is that the one where the guy says something like "Don't do this at home, I'm a professional."  and then continues to shoot himself in the leg?  As sad as that was I have to admit that it was funny in an ironic kind of way.  I don't think I would have gone back to any class that that guy was teaching.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Are you going to ask this question in every handgun forum on this site?  Fucking seriously, nearly all of the guns listed in the hangun section can be trusted with your life.

Also try reading around before you post, you will be able to answer many of your own questions.  You could also try a search here or google search to find out the deal on the NYPD Glocks.

Read before you post!

ETA:  Yes you can trust a Glock to save your life.  

Do you also post at www.akfiles.com as LittleBoy?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#29]
No, I post as "LittleGirl".

Dumb troll.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
No, I post as "LittleGirl".

Dumb troll.

Seriously just try reading.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm not afraid to ask questions. It's much better to get a human response/personal opinion.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I'm not afraid to ask questions. It's much better to get a human response/personal opinion.

Agreed, and I encourage you to keep asking questions.  But many of your questions have been answered here before.  By researching on this site a little bit you could find out most of what you ever needed to know about any gun.  If you dont find your answer by looking back a few pages in whatever category you are in, then ask.

Just by reading the threads around here I can tell you that people who own Glocks would definitely trust their lives to them.  Before I had shot my first Glock, I knew from reading that they are a super-reliable weapon, and are very tough.  Check out bigbore's G21 torture test, yeah I'd trust my life to that for sure.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I do every day! G22 duty carry.

The-Duck
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I do every day! G22 duty carry.

+1.  Won't carry anything else, and have tried about everything out there.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:28:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#36]
+1 to all that was said. Have a G23 with only 2500rds through, but not one FTE or FTF.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#37]
All points made here in favor og the Glock are accurate and factual.  There are more PD's using Glocks in the US than all other handgun types combined.  I personally will only trust my life to two types of handguns, Glocks and 1911's.  That is just my personal preference.  There are many good handguns on the market today.

But seriously, if you want the BEST, most RELIABLE handgun being produced today, buy a Glock.

You will not be disappointed!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#38]
I own a G21, G30, G23 and am thinking of getting another
they are like an ak47
bury it freeze it stick it in mud
pull the trigger and bang it goes
Ive never had any malfunctions ever!!!
its accurate especially with a match barrel and Speer Gold Dots
I trust my life with it
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I own a G21, G30, G23 and am thinking of getting another
they are like an ak47
bury it freeze it stick it in mud
pull the trigger and bang it goes
Ive never had any malfunctions ever!!!
its accurate especially with a match barrel and Speer Gold Dots
I trust my life with it

I have to agree   . . . . . . . . .  . . . .
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Well here goes my first post Hi all.

Now with that out of the way on to the topic. Glocks, just like any gun if you use it enough things will happen (good and bad).

My Glock family members consist of 22,27, and a 34. Both 40's are for carry so they do not see the use my 34 gets. The 40's have never failed in any way. The 22 was used when I got my hands on it back when gas was cheap (8 years back).
But the 34 is another story. I have for the last few years been a firearms coach. And I have used the Glock 34 as one of my teaching tools. So it is safe to say it has seen many a rounds thru it. I have had only one 100% stop me in my tracks failures.

#1 broken firing pin (tip broke off). I did about 5mag changes and who knows how many tap/rack/Quiet. Replaced on my dime
#2 upper cracked just below the ejector port. Gun would still fire but rounds landed about 4 feet to the left at a range of about 30 feet. Glock replaced no questions asked.
#3 Left rear rail broke off. But the gun was still shooting fine and on target! It is now in the hands of Glock.

Would I trust my life with a Glock? Yes
I have seen all kinds of guns go down for a million reasons. That is why we train to have a backup plan. Life is a game of odds.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#41]
I have Glock 21, 30, 17, 19, and 26. If I am not carrying a Glock, then I am carrying a wheel gun. I am a super-tactical bartender and I trust my life to the Austrian wonderpistol. I have had malfunctions, but nothing that wasn't  an issue of  care and cleaning.  Don't buy a nice firearm and try to feed it crap and then wonder  about it's reliablity.  If you are truly concerned about autopistol reliability, get a revolver.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:55:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Well here goes my first post Hi all.

Now with that out of the way on to the topic. Glocks, just like any gun if you use it enough things will happen (good and bad).

My Glock family members consist of 22,27, and a 34. Both 40's are for carry so they do not see the use my 34 gets. The 40's have never failed in any way. The 22 was used when I got my hands on it back when gas was cheap (8 years back).
But the 34 is another story. I have for the last few years been a firearms coach. And I have used the Glock 34 as one of my teaching tools. So it is safe to say it has seen many a rounds thru it. I have had only one 100% stop me in my tracks failures.

#1 broken firing pin (tip broke off). I did about 5mag changes and who knows how many tap/rack/Quiet. Replaced on my dime
#2 upper cracked just below the ejector port. Gun would still fire but rounds landed about 4 feet to the left at a range of about 30 feet. Glock replaced no questions asked.
#3 Left rear rail broke off. But the gun was still shooting fine and on target! It is now in the hands of Glock.

Would I trust my life with a Glock? Yes
I have seen all kinds of guns go down for a million reasons. That is why we train to have a backup plan. Life is a game of odds.

Great first post! Welcome

Fglocker_Plz - Check out my Medic! Medic!! post on this board. Yesterday my slide release spring and my slide release went MIA on my G19 at some point but she kept on trucking.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:35:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Thanks M4arc heMerry Christmas
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#44]
I did... and my Glock 23 loaded with 165gr Golden Sabers saved my ass... can't go into the details (pending civil suit) but I'd take a G23 to work (L.E.) any day.....
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:11:56 AM EDT
[#45]
i have a g23 and g27 and they have been a part of me for some time now, dont leave home without them.

both have close to 9k rds through them ea. without a single malfunction or failure
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:16:06 AM EDT
[#46]
they are personally not my favorite, although i plan on getting one soon after i get some more cash...i am a big fan of the 1911's and dont go anywhere w/o my kimber tle, but i would like to get a glock in either 9mm or .45

if your gonna get one make sure to get some goodies too, like trijicon or some sort of nite sites, and a rubber hogue grip...one main drawback for me is the handle and grip of the glock, it feels like i am trying to make friends w a 2X4...with that hogue grip on there it makes the pistol a much better fit

as to reliability or extended use i have no expirience...although many of my friends have them and love them, say they never have misfeeds or ejection problems...they certainly seem to be reliable, however another drawback is that they have no workable safety action..accidental discharges and/or a badguy taking it away from you in a critical situation could be bad, as there is no requirement for a badguy to figure out how to shoot the weapon, just take it from you and squeeze the trigger...thats if the badguy can take a few rounds and a full power shot from you before hand to hand combat and contact is established (an assumed credit to your survival skills)  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Sure you can, along with a SIG, HK, Colt whatever. Treat it right, clean it regularly and make sure it works every time you pull the trigger and with your carry ammo. All manufactures have guns that don't work reliably all the time. Even with 2 of the same manu/type, 1 may need work out of the box. Each firearm depends on the proper working of many components. Some of those components get through the QA without being noticed and can induce failures in a weapon.

Personally, I have 2 Sigs, 3 Hk's and 1 G19. I would trust my life with any of them, they all work flawlessly, every time I shoot them.
If they don't work, every time, like the G36 or Kahr I had, I 86 em and trade them for something that works.
My P228, and USPc both have over 15k rounds through each, and I've had one self-induced malfuntion, between the two. The P2000 has approx 2000 through it without a stoppage, include several squid rounds of MagTech which still functioned the slide.
My USP9SD and P229 .40, both have approx 1000 rds through each without a malfunction. My G19 has had approx 700 rds, without a hiccup.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#48]
This is a 30 round grouping from 40 feet from my Glock 22 that I have owned for 5 years. I have put 30k rounds through the barrel at this point and it still groups like this. I carry this gun everyday as a CCW with a G27 as a back-up. I have and will always trust my life to this gun. Period.
community.webshots.com/photo/530010799mqggao
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:10:40 AM EDT
[#49]
I have a 21, 30, 17, and 26.  I bought the 26 for my wife.  All were purchased new but the 17 which I got barely used, two hi-caps and a Galco Paddle for $325.00.  

They have never failed me.  I have loaned them out (not all at once though - never want to be without a Glock) and have never had a problem.  My 21 went to Glock several years ago for some factory recall work, but I had no problems with it prior, and no problems since.

They eat anything but lead, and go bang every single time unless the ammo fails.  

All are factory box stock pistols, and I'd trust my ass to each one.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#50]
I owned a Colt Goverment Model 45 that I spent a lot of money to modify to a carry gun. I now own a Colt Gold Cup that cost at leat twice the amount of my Glock but when I shoot I shoot my Glocks. I had a very nice Browning High Power but felt that the 9mm Cal was too small for serious business and traded it for a 357 mag for my wife. All my life I have been a fan of STEEL and would not even consider any other frame material but after reading an article that a  Glock 17 had survived over 350,000 rounds had to take notice. I ordered  Glock 17 and found it very accurate and 100% dependable. I liked it so much I ordered another so that I have a matched pair of Model 17's. I love my glocks and when I travel at least one and often two go with me. I would not choose 9mm if I was in a position of having to defend myself every day but I now consider it is better that I have a 9mm with me than my 44 or 45 on the shelf. I buy the best serious ammo I can find and do a lot of shooting with the cheap Blazer to keep in practice. Good luck
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top