Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 4:06:00 AM EDT
Ok well as I mentioned in another post , my dad was burglarised and his S&W 2" 38 was stolen along with his badge and retired ID. (CHP)  
I decided to replace his gun and money is very tight right now, well team member  drobs sent me some links  showing a S&W model 60 for sale at a local pawn shop($229).  Well I went to inspect it  and man it looks good, well I was so happy I had found a new gun for my dad and that's when the dealer informed me that I could not purchase it because its not on the approved list of guns that are legal to sale in California,  I said well that only applys to new guns and thats when they informed me that since they are a dealer, all the guns, even used ones they sale have to be on the approved list,  ( they sale on gunbroker auctions out of state)
another local  gun shop also has a Mod 60 used for $350 and its not nearly as nice as the first one, but since it's on consighnment and it would be considered a private party sale its legal for me to purchase?   same gun , both in stores that sale guns, same state, one I can buy , one I can't

absolutly ridiculous!!!!!
This state sucks butt!!!!

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:19:32 AM EDT
[#1]
All guns I've ever bought on consignment required a 4473, but that was in TX. Might want to visit a gunshow and find one there. You do still have gunshows there, right?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes we do have gun shows and I went to one on sunday . I paid eight  bucks to get in and I'm not kidding when I say I saw probably tweny hanguns total at the entire show,   At one booth a dealer from my home town ( I had driven 110 miles to go to this show) had about seventeen and at another booth a guy had three,  the rest of the show was mostly junk and surplus parts.   there was about 100 booths at this show. I did find one Taurus model 85BUl, a light weight 2" 38 for $ 350 but I can get that gun locally for $329.
I was pissed,  
But I dont know about the legalities of purchasing hanguns there , that was before I found out about the laws regarding dealer sales so I didn't know to ask,
 I've been to shows in Utah and Ohio and their great but here their a joke.
I guess I'll just keep looking.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Was this the show in Ventura?  If so, glad I didn't go.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#5]
No the gun show was in Paso Robles. I drove from Fresno to go there.

And It's our laws that suck, not our beautiful state or its people! I should have been more clear.

People like Diane Finestein for one. (maybe thats just my opinion)  

And as far as the dealer  with the guns on consighnment,  I wonder if he even knows ?  our laws are so stupid and hard to understand, honest law obeying people are often breaking the law without even knowing it because our laws are so hard to interpit .  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep..CA laws suck.

Have you been by Fresno Firearms yet?  I bought a S&W 617 there last month.

What range do you shot at?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes it is true most of Kalifornias Polititians are Marxists Pigs. Pure Swine.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:07:11 AM EDT
[#8]
have you been to calguns.net?
you might find someone selling what you want there, or they might know of where you can find one PPT.CalGuns.net
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Just supposing..................... one had a cousin or uncle or something in another state????????????? Say a state that had decent gun laws. Suppose you had a family gathering for a reunion or Christmas or birthday or something?????????????????????????????????????

Just wondering?????????  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey thanks for teh link to calguns, I'll keep my eye out on that sight also.
And of course Bob, my daughter and son in law live in utah where I often shop for things like Gun magazines but of course since I live in cali I will only buy the ones that hold ten rounds, I would never buy the box of  10 G3  30 rounders  for 20 bucks,  no not me. but when it comes to a fire arm to me its not worth it.  I wouldnt want to risk the chance of never being able to legally purchase another gun, If for some reason uncle Buck left his hand gun at my house in Cali
Thanks for the idea though.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#11]
What, did S&W not pay up to keep the model 60 on the "not unsafe" list.
By the way, where are you at in Fresno? Looks like my family and I are moving back. Maybe we can all round up a Fresno group for a get together.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:01:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm in Clovis near sheppard and temperance.
Why would any one move back to Fresno once they have left?   Just kidding I know  jobs , family and such can decide where we all live.  
You would be supprised with what is on the list and what's not on the list.  I think alot of older stuff is not on the list, I believe every gun has to be submitted for testing as fas as I understand it.
for example  a Taurus model Millinium pro is available here in blue, blue with night sights and stainless but the stainless one with night sights is not on the list?  Probably because that specific model was not tested.  
Im sure I'm one of the least informed people here  on this subject but the one thing I do understand is , this is absolutly rediculous!!!  
I truly believe that eventually it will be illegal to own a gun in California,
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#13]
wow...I live like a mile away from you.

And your right..they already tried to make ammo unavailable to us. Banning all handguns can't be to far off.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:04:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Would that qualify as a "straw purchase"?  I'm not Johnny gun laws or anything, but I think you meant to say that you are looking for a fine pistol that resembled one your father owned, and if there were any gun you were to present your father as a gift- from your collection, way off in the future you understand, that said pistol would probably be it.  Yeah.... that's it.

Cheers
(rehabilitated Californian)
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Well actually when we find the gun for my dad, We'll tell hem we are going to buy this for him and give him the money as a gift,  he can then use it to buy the gun and comply with all the legal stuff.
If I was able to purchase the gun at the pawn shop I was going to leave a deposit on it and have him come in and buy it and fill out all the necessary paper work?   that's legal isnt it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife of 11 years is from Cali.. and just the other day she said something about us moving there... My reply was well no chance baby, why she said, well any place that limits my magazine count and won't let me have my Barrett .50 cal. is no place I want to live...  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My wife of 11 years is from Cali.. and just the other day she said something about us moving there... My reply was well no chance baby, why she said, well any place that limits my magazine count and won't let me have my Barrett .50 cal. is no place I want to live...  

Right on!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Ah man, I grew up in Fresburgh back in the day, when you could legally purchase the fun stuff.  I remember going into the local dealers & seeing HK94's, G3's, CAR-15's, hanging on the wall...

Man, things have gone down the sh!tter in CA.  I'd like to think the people will take it back someday, but then it's the people that've voted the fruit loops into office.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top