Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2009 12:08:46 PM EDT
I am thinking of purchasing a NON-Glock pistol(I have 6) and I have narrowed it down to two guns chambered in 9mm.

Sig Sauer 229 in 9mm

CZ  P01 in 9mm

I will use it for SD, HD and range time. Money set aside which one would you choose and

WHY
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#1]
CZ, hands down.  Better ergonomics(opinion), and Sig's quality has fallen over the past few years.

I would trust a CZ with my life(and do), but not a new Sig.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am thinking of purchasing a NON-Glock pistol(I have 6) and I have narrowed it down to two guns chambered in 9mm.

Sig Sauer 229 in 9mm

CZ  P01 in 9mm

I will use it for SD, HD and range time. Money set aside which one would you choose and

WHY

Have you handled/shot any of them?

if not, then i would at the least handle them and go from there.

imo, any would be fine.  it comes down to personal pref.

Link Posted: 5/28/2009 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the czp01 phantom and a 229 in 40 s&w . The phantom trigger is not as smooth as my 229 ,both guns shoot better than I can . My 229 is a more polished weapon ,but the phantom has performed just as good . Price wise my 229 was slightly cheaper  ,c.p.o.  $525 2006 , the phantom was $605 this year . A friend has a cz 85 which also been great . Both are great weapons ,can`t go wrong with either
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I've owned both (although the Sig was a 40).

I still have the CZ.

Link Posted: 5/28/2009 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a 228 and traded it.  I have two PO1's and my buddy who loves sigs is always trying to get me to trade him one.  Both the cz and the sig are reliable, well made guns.  The PO1 beats the sig easily in ergos for me.  The grip shape is perfect and I prefer the cz style decocker over the sig version.  Much easier to manipulate.  For me the PO1 is the better overall package.  Magazines are plentiful and cheaper for the cz also.  Easy to get 14 rounders and 16 rounders with some extension of the grip (in 9mm).

Pete
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#6]
IMO, it boils down to which one is more comfortable and ergonomic.  Can you reach the controls on both equally well?  If so, which one feels better in hand and points more naturally?  That is the one you want.

I'd consider them equal in terms of quality, with the Sig probably having more choices for sights, holsters, etc.
Link Posted: 5/30/2009 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Had both, here are my observations.  The Sig has a better trigger and sights.  The overall finish is better and mags are easier to find.  The drawback to the Sig is that it is a very chunky gun and I did not like it for IWB carry.

The CZ is a very comfortable gun to shoot because of it's ergonomics and is very accurate.  Both guns are on the more accurate side for service pistols, but the CZ was exceptional.  The P01's size make it a nice carry gun.  Drawbacks to the CZ are the sights (serviceable but could be better) and the black epoxy finish.  Also, mags for the P01 / 75 compact are harder to find in stock.

The P229 has been traded off but the P01 is my wife's carry gun.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Had both, here are my observations.  The Sig has a better trigger and sights.  The overall finish is better and mags are easier to find.  The drawback to the Sig is that it is a very chunky gun and I did not like it for IWB carry.

The CZ is a very comfortable gun to shoot because of it's ergonomics and is very accurate.  Both guns are on the more accurate side for service pistols, but the CZ was exceptional.  The P01's size make it a nice carry gun.  Drawbacks to the CZ are the sights (serviceable but could be better) and the black epoxy finish.  Also, mags for the P01 / 75 compact are harder to find in stock.

The P229 has been traded off but the P01 is my wife's carry gun.

You can use the hi-cap SP-01 mags in the P-01. so I carry the P-01 mag in the gun and my back up mags are all 19rds.  

Another nice thing is that the holsters from Galco for the sig 229 will fit a P-01 and vice versa.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 6:46:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I have had a p01 for a while that i like alot and is fairly accurate.

I bought an older 229 last week in 40. i have not shot it yet but dry firing the trigger is better in both DA and SA but i think it might have been worked by a previous owner.

The p01 fits my small hands better.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:36:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Have both guns in 9mm. Both are great guns and both have their pro's and con's. The front sight on the PO1 is much thinner then the Sig and there for better in my hands for accurate shooting. The Sig 229 has a smoother trigger out of the box but I have small hands and had to install a short trigger. As for the PO1 trigger, out of the box it was heavy and gritty. After some home gunsmithing the PO1 trigger is far better then the Sig but you are in for real trouble trying to do a trigger job on the PO1 unless you are very good at gunsmithing. The Sig is much easier to brake down and reassamble for cleaning. After the trigger job, the PO1 is by far my favorite but I would never sell either and would trust my life with either gun.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#11]
My P01 Duty has now about 270rnds and it 'wore-in' . It has less recoil than it did initially, and is quite more accurate.

After buying it, I did have to get the extractor spring replaced wit ha tighter one but since 0 issues.

Last Friday, we were shooting it at 25 and 50yard steel targets and it had a good 80-90% hit rate.

Up close at 21feet, most shots are touching.

Considering it's one of the cheapest guns I own, it's one of my daily CCW guns.

Shooting the CZ P07 9mm at 25yards
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I had CZ PO-1 and it was a great gun. Sold it to my son for peanuts. I would buy another one if the prices were not so high.

Never had a malfunction with it. Great ergonomics, engineering and finish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top