Page / 14
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 8:22:50 AM EST
[#1]
PWS
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 8:24:09 AM EST
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:

Yes, it is still open. No they have not stated a closing date.

I think they had a low number of applicants and they are fishing for more buyers.
View Quote

I don't know why they don't open it back up for repeat buyers. They would have a ton more people come back for another one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 8:25:53 AM EST
[#3]
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:

I don't know why they don't open it back up for repeat buyers. They would have a ton more people come back for another one.
View Quote

Yeah, I think you are right.  I'm not saying that I definitely would buy a second one, but I would at least consider it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 8:29:02 AM EST
[#4]
Originally Posted By sf46:

Yeah, I think you are right.  I'm not saying that I definitely would buy a second one, but I would at least consider it.
View Quote

I had to talk my wife into getting one.

I have two kids so i wanted one for each.

She's a shooter so it didn't take that much convincing, but I would probably still buy another one if I could.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 8:51:33 AM EST
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 9:10:30 AM EST
[#6]
I'd buy another one or two if they'd open it up for repeat buyers.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 10:49:44 AM EST
[#7]

I'd imagine after this round's lack of interest, they will open it to repeat buyers. But then again, some of the stuff the CMP does makes me scratch my head.
View Quote

No kidding.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 1:47:39 PM EST
[#8]
Originally Posted By SmokeEater2:

So only 1341 more to go until they get to me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SmokeEater2:
33567 reported being called today on the CMP forum.

So only 1341 more to go until they get to me.

Could be worse

36338.  I want to think they skipped to 36000 after the deadline.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 4:59:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: Polupharmakos] [#9]
http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.php?p=2172505&postcount=55

I suspect there will be a future offering of a second 1911 to folks who have already purchased their one.

ETA: picked this up yesterday:

Link Posted: 10/27/2022 5:45:59 PM EST
[#10]
Originally Posted By Polupharmakos:
View Quote
That's a nice Field Grade.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 5:52:21 PM EST
[#11]
If they allow a second I am definitely in. Below is my Field Grade, Ithaca Receiver and Remington Rand Slide. I’m happy with it no arsenal marks. Commercial barrel.

Link Posted: 10/27/2022 8:06:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: Polupharmakos] [#12]
Originally Posted By Dolomite:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dolomite:
Originally Posted By Polupharmakos:https://i.imgur.com/rEaAuPh.jpg

Totally, I opened the box and had to check the tag to make sure they hadn't sent me a Service Grade

Anniston rebuild, January '73.  Crazy to think the rebuild was going on 50 years ago.  Based on the perfect match of the repark, I surely think it's been together since then.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 9:25:06 PM EST
[#13]
http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.php?p=2172505&postcount=55

I suspect there will be a future offering of a second 1911 to folks who have already purchased their one.

ETA: picked this up yesterday:

https://i.imgur.com/rEaAuPh.jpg
View Quote
I would almost hate to oil that one up.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 9:32:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: Polupharmakos] [#14]
Originally Posted By kentucky_smith:
I would almost hate to oil that one up.
View Quote

Yeah, this one is staying very much as is.  No slide swapping.  But...it'll get shot eventually.

Link Posted: 10/27/2022 11:14:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: MiG-21] [#15]
Saw an interesting rack grade somebody on the CMP forum got today. A M1911, not an A1, all Springfield Armory manufacture. Another had a 1938 manufacture Colt, apparently Colt only made less than 1300 1911s that year both military and commercial. There are some real gems going out this round.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 6:31:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: HighlanderI] [#16]
Originally Posted By MiG-21:
Saw an interesting rack grade somebody on the CMP forum got today. A M1911, not an A1, all Springfield Armory manufacture. Another had a 1938 manufacture Colt, apparently Colt only made less than 1300 1911s that year both military and commercial. There are some real gems going out this round.
View Quote

I saw that SA 1911. That was one lucky pick. Surprised that one wasn't an auction pistol. Maybe someone will end up with a Singer....
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:42:07 AM EST
[#17]

Yeah, this one is staying very much as is.  No slide swapping.  But...it'll get shot eventually.

https://i.imgur.com/cGFFukH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2Q9cu12.jpg
View Quote

So that is the arsenal stamp? If you dont have one on your pistol then it wasnt arsenal rebuilt? Is that good bad or neither?
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:11:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: Polupharmakos] [#18]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

So that is the arsenal stamp? If you dont have one on your pistol then it wasnt arsenal rebuilt? Is that good bad or neither?
View Quote

Not sure all rebuilds were marked.

Collectors historically turn their noses up at arsenal rebuilds, but collecting sentiments can change.  The Circle of Life of collecting seems to follow some typical steps:

1. The military squeezes every bit of use they can get out of the weapon, including upgrading it to later specifications, refinishing, rebuilding, mixing parts.  This results in the rarity of the "factory original/correct" piece that collectors drool over.

2. When the military is finally done with it, it gets out into the wild, still presumably in the final configuration in which the military had it.  Collectors, shooters, and everyone in between gets ahold of them.

3. Realizing that collectors want "correct" pieces, a great deal of effort is then expended in "correcting" guns.  Parts are bought, sold, and swapped.  A few bucks, some pleasant evenings on Ebay, some time with references that may or may not be accurate, and voila! A crappy mixmaster becomes a valuable, rare, and desired "correct" (actually "corrected") example!

4. The weapons in that final arsenal-rebuilt configuration in the military eventually start drying up, as they get torn apart as organ donors in the correcting process.

5. Given enough time, the field ends up with:
a. A few factory original correct pieces that got "liberated" early on and remained unmolested.
b. A few more rebuilt pieces that also remained unmolested, and begin to develop small cult followings of their own.
c. A whole bunch of parts guns.

At the end of the day folks should do what they want with their guns.  And you can find plenty of folks doing slide swaps on these 1911s so the frame and slide manufacturers match.  

Me?  This one is staying just how I got it.  The more folks swap parts on their guns, the more my kids (and maybe grandkids someday) will appreciate this one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:17:33 PM EST
[#19]
Any more pics of range grades, please?
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 1:52:05 PM EST
[#20]

Not sure all rebuilds were marked.

Collectors historically turn their noses up at arsenal rebuilds, but collecting sentiments can change.  The Circle of Life of collecting seems to follow some typical steps:

1. The military squeezes every bit of use they can get out of the weapon, including upgrading it to later specifications, refinishing, rebuilding, mixing parts.  This results in the rarity of the "factory original/correct" piece that collectors drool over.

2. When the military is finally done with it, it gets out into the wild, still presumably in the final configuration in which the military had it.  Collectors, shooters, and everyone in between gets ahold of them.

3. Realizing that collectors want "correct" pieces, a great deal of effort is then expended in "correcting" guns.  Parts are bought, sold, and swapped.  A few bucks, some pleasant evenings on Ebay, some time with references that may or may not be accurate, and voila! A crappy mixmaster becomes a valuable, rare, and desired "correct" (actually "corrected") example!

4. The weapons in that final arsenal-rebuilt configuration in the military eventually start drying up, as they get torn apart as organ donors in the correcting process.

5. Given enough time, the field ends up with:
a. A few factory original correct pieces that got "liberated" early on and remained unmolested.
b. A few more rebuilt pieces that also remained unmolested, and begin to develop small cult followings of their own.
c. A whole bunch of parts guns.

At the end of the day folks should do what they want with their guns.  And you can find plenty of folks doing slide swaps on these 1911s so the frame and slide manufacturers match.  

Me?  This one is staying just how I got it.  The more folks swap parts on their guns, the more my kids (and maybe grandkids someday) will appreciate this one.
View Quote

Thank you.
This is my first CMP gun so every little stamp is a wonderful mystery for me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 3:48:01 PM EST
[#21]
Saw where 33778 got the call today. Thinking I'll get the call either late this week or early next week.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 6:29:23 PM EST
[#22]
Saw where 33778 got the call today. Thinking I'll get the call either late this week or early next week.
View Quote

That’s me!  I’ll post pics on here when I receive it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 6:51:04 PM EST
[#23]
In regards to my quest for OEM GI grip panels, I found some at Numrich for $6.44 per panel.

I ordered a couple and got one with the identical markings inside (a star with a "K" inside and the "13") that was an exact match for my loose panel, except it fits nice and snug.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:39:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: HUCK70] [#24]
Got the call Tues 11/1, it shipped 11/1, it will be here tomorrow, will post pics when it gets here.

ETA picked it up 11/2, field grade RR frame, USGI replacement slide and barrel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 2:26:55 PM EST
[#25]
If anyone is tracking, 33687, got a call today, requested a field grade.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:10:43 PM EST
[#26]
Mine came in yesterday.  Field grade with a 1943 colt frame and GI replacement slide….
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 5:10:31 PM EST
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 6:17:54 PM EST
[#28]

Your pics are not loading.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Semper_Firearms:
Mine came in yesterday.  Field grade with a 1943 colt frame and GI replacement slide….

To be honest I’m pretty disappointed in the replacement slide and it’s ruined the experience for me.  Say what you will, I knew it was a possibility, I’m still pissed.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 7:01:41 PM EST
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 7:18:01 PM EST
[#30]

I get it, I would be bummed over that as well. You can easily sell that gun and have your significant other try for one. Or find a slide on ebay.
View All Quotes

To be honest I’m pretty disappointed in the replacement slide and it’s ruined the experience for me.  Say what you will, I knew it was a possibility, I’m still pissed.

I get it, I would be bummed over that as well. You can easily sell that gun and have your significant other try for one. Or find a slide on ebay.

I appreciate the empathy.  She did submit a packet in late September but never received a RNG.  There’s still hope the email she provided was misread/misspelled.  We’re doing as instructed and waiting 60 days to contact them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 7:34:41 PM EST
[#31]

View Quote

The replacement slide is simply part of its history.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 10:13:59 AM EST
[#32]

View Quote

Are those replacement slides less quality? Or is it just the fact that it's a "parts" gun? Where did those replacement slides come from?

I'm brand new to the world of CMP and GI 1911's. I guess I got lucky with my Remington Rand slide and frame but I doubt they started life this way in 1945 when the frame was made. My gun DID NOT see any conflict, at least in it's current configuration. The only thing on the gun that looks used is that one grip panel that is very worn and loose.

I think (this is my first foray) that unless someone gets really lucky, or gets a very beat up gun, the parts will not be original to the frame.

If I get the chance to buy another one from the CMP, I'll get a lower grade and maybe get more original parts. Maybe. But most important to me is that the gun functions.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 11:12:06 AM EST
[Last Edit: mlin] [#33]

Are those replacement slides less quality? Or is it just the fact that it's a "parts" gun? Where did those replacement slides come from?

I'm brand new to the world of CMP and GI 1911's. I guess I got lucky with my Remington Rand slide and frame but I doubt they started life this way in 1945 when the frame was made. My gun DID NOT see any conflict, at least in it's current configuration. The only thing on the gun that looks used is that one grip panel that is very worn and loose.

I think (this is my first foray) that unless someone gets really lucky, or gets a very beat up gun, the parts will not be original to the frame.

If I get the chance to buy another one from the CMP, I'll get a lower grade and maybe get more original parts. Maybe. But most important to me is that the gun functions.
View Quote

US didn't buy any new 1911 after WWII. As the result, those existing pistols required new parts to extend their service life. Replacement slides, barrels, and parts were procured through various vendors. All of those were made per military drawings/blue prints, and awarded via normal contract process. Those parts are USGI, not commercial. USGI replacement slides usually have CAGE code of the manufactures. Barrel usually have marking stamp as well. Other small replacement parts are not marked, except for the packaging.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 11:32:44 AM EST
[#34]
I'd be in for another 1911 if they opened up to previous purchasers. As long as they don't jack prices up even more. I was going to get my wife on board for one but hesitated after I saw the new pricing. For the price, original used parts only. I'm not good with replacement slides, small parts I understand.

I have an all RR not from CMP, Colt Colt from round 2. I'd love to get an Ithaca.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 1:05:02 PM EST
[#35]
I’ll jump in, why not. I enlisted in 1981 as a Marine 0331 machine gunner. OK, you enlist as an 0300, you get assigned in ITS as either an 0311, 0331, 0341, or 0351.

An 0331 machine gunner was assigned a pistol in addition to the main gun, in my case a M60.

We were issued 1911’s in the 80’s, you wanted a rebuilt pistol, we never had them in the USMC. We went down range with old 1911’s, and M16A1’s.

A rebuilt 1911 is a Cold War icon, sell or trade, but they did the job. Army got the rebuilds. Anyone who carried a 1911 in uniform won’t be unhappy with a CMP pistol. Range grades…..these are LEO turn ins that were loaned to law enforcement agencies. Still good guns, but looks like they are not GWOT guns.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 5:57:09 PM EST
[#36]

View Quote
For a shooter, those postwar replacement slides are actually better than the originals.They are fully hardened, while the originals were only hardened around the slide stop recess and the front third of the slide. The originals can develop cracks under high round counts.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 1:40:33 PM EST
[#37]
For a shooter, those postwar replacement slides are actually better than the originals.They are fully hardened, while the originals were only hardened around the slide stop recess and the front third of the slide. The originals can develop cracks under high round counts.
View Quote

Very interesting. Thank you. I guess that is consistent with those dark "waves" or discoloration marks near the front 1/3 of my Remington Rand slide. As per the poster who informed me it was part of the hardening process.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 1:12:31 PM EST
[#38]
Just got the phone call from CMP. RGN# 33943. All grades available, went with Field.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 1:54:16 PM EST
[#39]
Originally Posted By Saablook:
I’ll jump in, why not. I enlisted in 1981 as a Marine 0331 machine gunner. OK, you enlist as an 0300, you get assigned in ITS as either an 0311, 0331, 0341, or 0351.

An 0331 machine gunner was assigned a pistol in addition to the main gun, in my case a M60.

We were issued 1911’s in the 80’s, you wanted a rebuilt pistol, we never had them in the USMC. We went down range with old 1911’s, and M16A1’s.

A rebuilt 1911 is a Cold War icon, sell or trade, but they did the job. Army got the rebuilds. Anyone who carried a 1911 in uniform won’t be unhappy with a CMP pistol. Range grades…..these are LEO turn ins that were loaned to law enforcement agencies. Still good guns, but looks like they are not GWOT guns.
View Quote

Lol ain’t that the truth.  The 1911 I fam fired at Parris Island had wood grips and virtually no finish......in 1987.  It rattled if you shook it.   My unit had Berettas but saw the 1911s again in the guard (and A1s).  The guard 1911s were in excellent shape, lots of rebuilds with good park.  Changed units and they had a couple 1911 not 1911a1s in the Christmas tree rack.  They were mixmasters at that stage.

A rebuild is more likely the better grade you buy.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 11:16:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: MiG-21] [#40]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

Lol ain't that the truth.  The 1911 I fam fired at Parris Island had wood grips and virtually no finish......in 1987.  It rattled if you shook it.   My unit had Berettas but saw the 1911s again in the guard (and A1s).  The guard 1911s were in excellent shape, lots of rebuilds with good park.  Changed units and they had a couple 1911 not 1911a1s in the Christmas tree rack.  They were mixmasters at that stage.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
Originally Posted By Saablook:
I'll jump in, why not. I enlisted in 1981 as a Marine 0331 machine gunner. OK, you enlist as an 0300, you get assigned in ITS as either an 0311, 0331, 0341, or 0351.

We were issued 1911's in the 80's, you wanted a rebuilt pistol, we never had them in the USMC. We went down range with old 1911's, and M16A1's.

A rebuilt 1911 is a Cold War icon, sell or trade, but they did the job. Army got the rebuilds. Anyone who carried a 1911 in uniform won't be unhappy with a CMP pistol. Range grades ..these are LEO turn ins that were loaned to law enforcement agencies. Still good guns, but looks like they are not GWOT guns.

Lol ain't that the truth.  The 1911 I fam fired at Parris Island had wood grips and virtually no finish......in 1987.  It rattled if you shook it.   My unit had Berettas but saw the 1911s again in the guard (and A1s).  The guard 1911s were in excellent shape, lots of rebuilds with good park.  Changed units and they had a couple 1911 not 1911a1s in the Christmas tree rack.  They were mixmasters at that stage.

And that's what my Field Grade is. 1943 Remington Rand frame, 1980s replacement slide and barrel. Came in today. Is at  my FFL for the weekend while I'm out of town visiting family.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/14/2022 4:55:35 PM EST
[#41]

1943 RR, Colt slide, Field grade. Pistol is tight, no rattle at all.  Slide has some burrs, someone dropped the slide, frame has a few blemishes, but looks like this pistol was rebuilt, and put in storage, or in an armory.

USGI magazine, exact same lot number as the two I kept from the USMC. I know some are getting aftermarket mags, I think they are Checkmate, same ones that came with my Tisas. If CMP opens up orders for multiples, I’ll jump again. Right now it’s one and done, unless you convince your “wife” to hook you up….
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 5:27:21 PM EST
[#42]
If you guys are interested in your 1911/1911A1 path to your hands - I did mine and got some interesting info (Freedom of Information Act Request).
In full disclosure, this boilerplate letter was given to me by someone from another forum.
Send a Freedom Of Information Request (FOIA) for more info on your pistol and your slide.

Your request must say that you’re willing to pay for the search - but you will not be charged at all. I offered to pay 5 bucks.

The email address to use is:
[email protected]

Here is the text of the email that I used (insert your S/N).
Email sent April 29; reply received from Ms. Mickelle Penn on May 3.
I sent one email for each S/N.
Good luck! KJT

Dear FOIA Team:

I hereby request any and all information found in the Army File of the Department of Defense (DoD) Small Arms/Light Weapons Registry pertaining to M1911A1 Pistol, NSN: 1005-00-726-5655, Serial Number XXXXXX.

In accordance with Section 3-6(e) of AR 25-55, I hereby state that I am willing to pay fees associated with processing my FOIA request in an amount of up to US$5.00.

In accordance with Section 3-6(g) of AR 25-55, I provide the following detailed contact information:

Name
Street Address
City, State, ZIP
Phone
Email

Post'em up...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 5:45:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: trio] [#43]
A note about replacement slides erc.  Colt did provide a small number of colt commercial slides for rebuilds after Korea. My service grade in round 2 was a 1944 Essex frame with a colt commercial slide on it

Edit:  sorry. Had been a long day. It’s an Ithaca frame with a colt commercial slide. There will be pictures next page
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 7:32:58 PM EST
[#44]
Originally Posted By trio:
A note about replacement slides erc.  Colt did provide a small number of colt commercial slides for rebuilds after Korea. My service grade in round 2 was a 1944 Essex frame with a colt commercial slide on it
View Quote
Essex wasn't around in 44 and wasn't a mil supplier that I know of?
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 12:33:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#45]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By trio:

Trio built, IIRC 2 or 3 clones using GI slides. One colt and one 779 replacement slide.  Using new frames not of GI origin. Did a build thread i think.

Kinda like the two I have built on Brazilian colt slides with GI parts on new frames.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 7:14:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: redleg13a] [#46]
Uh, Essex?  That would be a first. That's rarer than a Sjnger right there.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 7:21:50 PM EST
[#47]
I noticed the CMP forum thread is lacking lately. What number are they on this week?
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 7:26:24 PM EST
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 7:32:50 PM EST
[#49]
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
Trio built, IIRC 2 or 3 clones using GI slides. One colt and one 779 replacement slide.  Using new frames not of GI origin. Did a build thread i think.

Kinda like the two I have built on Brazilian colt slides with GI parts on new frames.
View Quote

I've done some of that

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 9:05:48 PM EST
[#50]

It has been super quiet over there.
View Quote
I think the 1911 group took a vacay last week.  No auction sales.  Going back at it it this week.  Saw a 34000 rgn called today.  

only 2000 more to go.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top