Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 7/3/2008 6:30:16 AM EST
I have to make a trip to Dallas tonight. Most of my time will be spent at the hospital visiting my father. For numerous reasons it is not practical to leave the pistol looked up in the rental car while I am at the hospital. So what says the hive-mind leave it two states away or lock it up in the hotel room?
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 7:12:29 AM EST
I don't like the leaving it home option at all..

Honestly I don't like the idea of leaving it a hotel room. I'd rather leave it in the rental car if I couldn't carry it. You know someone is going to be coming into the hotel room.

I bought an inexpensive pistol lock box off the EE that has a cable so you can secure it to a car seat frame or something. It isn't anything that will stop someone with tools and time, but it would stop a smash and grab.

Might be a good time to have an inexpensive carry piece.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 8:02:50 AM EST
I use a lock box normally but am concerned about it being discreete enough considering some of the family issues on this trip. And I really dont like the idea of leavingit home either.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 8:06:16 AM EST
why not just carry it?
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 8:09:05 AM EST
Does the hospital post 30.06?
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 8:24:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By ORinTX:

It is a VA hospital so covered by federal rules. Probably should have mentioned this as it is one of the complications that make this decision so complicated.
The other two issues is that my fathers wife is mildly anti gun especially CCW, and I might be sharing the car with an uncle that is a convicted felon.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 8:41:58 AM EST
If you haven't already booked a hotel room, call ahead and find out if any in the area have an in-room safe. That's your best bet.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 8:59:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By anjan9:
why not just carry it?

Why not just carry it. If you are discrete and use appropriate attire no one will be the wiser! When I travel I just keep it with me or locked in the trunk of my vehicle/rental .Don't doubt yourself and your ability to discretely carry your weapon, just plan ahead.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 8:59:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By 53vortec:
If you haven't already booked a hotel room, call ahead and find out if any in the area have an in-room safe. That's your best bet.

Great idea, thanks.
I really should have thought of that.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 9:19:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By Donnchaid:

It is a VA hospital so covered by federal rules. Probably should have mentioned this as it is one of the complications that make this decision so complicated.
The other two issues is that my fathers wife is mildly anti gun especially CCW, and I might be sharing the car with an uncle that is a convicted felon.

Do federal rules prohibit carry in a VA hospital?
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 9:28:00 AM EST

according to the signs posted at the one here in Tucson, yes
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 9:43:03 AM EST

+1 even most of the hilton garden inn, hamptons, etc $75 rooms now have small in room safes.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 10:06:11 AM EST

according to the signs posted at the one here in Tucson, yes

As much as I would hate to say it, you have 2 real choices: Carry a pocket gun in a NPE or carry alternative force tools like knife, light and OC. Please note, I am not encouraging or suggesting you do any illegal activity, simply pointing out that it is one option to you. May be safest to go "sans gun" on this trip for all the security risks involved.

Good luck with your Dad!
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 11:00:47 AM EST

Test the safe before you lock anything important in it. You want to make sure you can get it open again. Trust me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 11:18:55 AM EST
The VA hospital in Dallas is in a shit area. You should could keep it on you at all times. As they always say "It is better to judged by 12 than ......"
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 11:53:14 AM EST
Thanks for the information and well wishes everyone.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 2:34:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By SoFlaDeputy:

why not just carry it?

Why not just carry it. If you are discrete and use appropriate attire no one will be the wiser! When I travel I just keep it with me or locked in the trunk of my vehicle/rental .Don't doubt yourself and your ability to discretely carry your weapon, just plan ahead.

It's my understanding that it's totally illegal to carry on hospital property. That means in the hospital as well as the parking lot. You can't even leave your gun locked inside your car (provided you park on hospital grounds). The reason I say this is because in my CCW class there was a paramedic who wanted to carry while he was working (IE. in the ambulance). He said that he goes into some bad areas and he would feel more comfortable if he could carry. The instructor, a retired police officer and his friend, another police officer who was learning how to teach the CCW class, both said that "you can not have a gun on hospital property; period!" That included the building the parking lot, the ambulance or any place else owned by the hospital.
While SoFlaDeputy seems like he may cut you a break if he caught you, I think it's better not to chance it. Some police officers are pretty cool, but as for the others .....
Best wishes for your dad!
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 4:49:33 PM EST
You are in FL, TX is different. Certainly not illegal here in AZ.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 5:09:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By JKirk:

Originally Posted By SoFlaDeputy:

why not just carry it?

It's my understanding that it's totally illegal to carry on hospital property. That means in the hospital as well as the parking lot. You can't even leave your gun locked inside your car (provided you park on hospital grounds). The reason I say this is because in my CCW class there was a paramedic who wanted to carry while he was working (IE. in the ambulance). He said that he goes into some bad areas and he would feel more comfortable if he could carry. The instructor, a retired police officer and his friend, another police officer who was learning how to teach the CCW class, both said that "you can not have a gun on hospital property; period!" That included the building the parking lot, the ambulance or any place else owned by the hospital.
While SoFlaDeputy seems like he may cut you a break if he caught you, I think it's better not to chance it. Some police officers are pretty cool, but as for the others .....
Best wishes for your dad!

I think only applies to hospitals with some sort of psyciatric ward/treatment here in FL.

Florida Statute § 394.458 states “except as authorized by law” it is a third degree felony (yeah – felony!) for any person to bring, carry, possess, or transport a “firearm or other dangerous weapon” upon the grounds of any “hospital (or mental health facility) providing mental health services”. Here’s the actual wording:

(1) (a) Except as authorized by law or as specifically authorized by the person in charge of each hospital providing mental health services under this part, it is unlawful to introduce into or upon the grounds of such hospital, or to take or attempt to take or send therefrom, any of the following articles, which are hereby declared to be contraband for the purposes of this section:

1. Any intoxicating beverage or beverage . . . .
2. Any controlled substance as defined in chapter 893; or
3. Any firearms or deadly weapon”.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 6:45:51 AM EST
Your best bet would be to lock in in the car (cable or box to the frame) and take some pepper spray with you like the above recommendation. I hate going to dallas but sometimes you got to go.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 7:16:07 AM EST
Never, ever, leave valuables in a hotel room. Lock in trunk of car or carry in.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 7:21:43 AM EST
Room safe usually is big enough for even Dirty Harry's S&W
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 11:02:18 AM EST
I heard that room safes can be reset by unplugging them.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 6:27:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By AzNooB:

Or by the staff being curious. Don't ask me how I found this out (Super 8 Motel in Danville, KY).

Carry it or lock it in the car as discreetly as possible.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 6:30:17 PM EST
One time out of despiration I decided to stick a CCW inside a ziplock bag into the tank of the toilet in my hotel room. Not sure if it was a good idea, but it was there when I got back.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 7:12:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By wgjhsafT:

Originally Posted By AzNooB:

Or by the staff being curious. Don't ask me how I found this out (Super 8 Motel in Danville, KY).

Carry it or lock it in the car as discreetly as possible.

Not funny, but I just had to post ...

I travel a lot with my job, and I have never stayed there, but I "steal" WiFi from them about every two weeks while I am in town. I just park in the parking lot and connect there. Does that make you feel better ... didn't think so. That place seems kinda shady to me anyway.

To the original question, I wouldn't leave it the room. If it is stolen out the room, there is really nothing you can do. If it is stolen from the car, in some cases you can report it on insurance and possibly get your money back, but it depends. Me personally, I would just feel more comfortable with it in the car.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 7:50:57 PM EST
Pack it. That is why we call it concealed. Unless a metal detector is involved, I always pack. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 8:51:56 PM EST
Just hide it in the rental car, or in the hotel room. Honestly, you are over thinking things.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 7:18:24 AM EST
If your hotel room has the electronic keycard locks you can leave it in there safely. Put the "do not disturb" sign on your door and nobody will come in. If an employee does come in and steal your gun the maintenance guy can interrogate the lock and show the police exactly who did it. All employees know this.
If you have a safe it's even better.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 7:32:25 AM EST

I have to make a trip to Dallas tonight. Most of my time will be spent at the hospital visiting my father. For numerous reasons it is not practical to leave the pistol looked up in the rental car while I am at the hospital. So what says the hive-mind leave it two states away or lock it up in the hotel room?

This may be late for the OP but are you staying at a Hotel or Halfway House?

1. Do NOT leave it in the room. I could tell you some stories but will spare you.

2. I would not leave it in the car either. YMMV

3. If you are staying in a decent Hotel then take it to the front desk and tell them you have something to leave in a Safety Deposit Box (safe). This way it is in secured area and left in a room, etc.

4. If you are staying at a place without these services.....carry the MF'er.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:10:30 PM EST
Another option would be to get a small lock box with a cable to attach it to things. You could tether it to the bed frame or it would be more secure that way if you left it in your car.

I hate leaving guns in cars or anywhere unsecured like that, but I keep a lock box tethered in my cars just in case.

They are pretty cheap and are good to add an extra level of security to other valuables as well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 8:50:01 PM EST
When ever I wanted to leave a firearm in a Hotel room, I removed the bottom dresser drawer, laid the firearm in and replaced the drawer. I found some spaces were large enough for AK's.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 10:21:37 PM EST
Field strip it. Scatter parts between the car, room, luggage, etc.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:08:52 PM EST
Concealed means concealed...

just sayin'
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:26:38 PM EST
If it's concealed who's going to care? Sometimes you have to do the common sense thing.
Top Top