Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 11:53:06 AM EDT
i just visited iowa carry org and read through some of the site.  i knew iowa was a county by county issuance state, but didn't understand all the hereto's and therefore's...  

if i understand it, you can completely fill the criteria for obtaining a permit and be denied a CCW permit regardless.  or the sherriff can issue it with conditions...  if you tell the sherriff you make the night deposit for walmart and you prefer a permit for it, he can issue the permit on the condition you expressed...  ie, your permit would be valid during the coarse of the deposit and then invalid elsewhere.  

i thought being a red blooded american was a good start to using a "right" we have long since earned.  maybe not...

what's the scoop on this?  any comments?

s. tank

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank God for "Shall Issue" states. I live in PA.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#2]
That's what "may issue" is all about. This is the very reason it's so bad.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#3]
. Oops, double tap
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe in VA any LEO that objects to you having a CCW permit is grounds for denial or revocation.

I've never heard of that happening though.  Just don't piss off any LEOs and get on their radar screen.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats crazy, in a stupid wayh.gif. Sounds like a bunch of lawers got ahold of that concealed  cary law. In arizona you can cary whatever you can conceal and when ever you want. Its just certain places you can't carry i.e. bars, court houses, schools, and things like that.
Is Iowa a right to carry state?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thats crazy, in a stupid way. Sounds like a bunch of lawers got ahold of that concealed  cary law. In arizona you can cary whatever you can conceal and when ever you want. Its just certain places you can't carry i.e. bars, court houses, schools, and things like that.
Is Iowa a right to carry state?

iowa is a "may issue" state instead of a "shall issue" state.  you can get a permit if the sherriff deams it ok, of course it may or may not come with conditions.

my particular county, so i'm told, isn't a county that will issue you a permit.  i understand there are some guys with class III FFL's and the sherriff still won't allow them a CCW.  they can run around all day long with an MP5, but not a four shot ankle gun...  smart...

what the hell?

i guess i'm going to have to get my "ass kissing" mode on...  any suggestions?

s. tank
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I believe in VA any LEO that objects to you having a CCW permit is grounds for denial or revocation.

I've never heard of that happening though.  Just don't piss off any LEOs and get on their radar screen.

May have been true in the past, but not anymore.  VA is now a "shall issue" state, meaning you have to disqualify based on those issues specified by law, not by some LEO saying "I don't like him."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top