Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2003 2:37:53 PM EDT
I'm looking for some holster and belt suggestions from some of you bigger guys on here. Personally I'm 5'10" and about 285lbs. 42" waist. I cant seem to find a comfortable carry holster. Now that winter is here, I can possibly get away with a shoulder rig but don't know whats out there that has the adjustment I need as I have a 60 inch chest. I have pissed with a few fobus paddle holsters but they're not to fun. What I have that I shoot well and would stake my life on for carry is as follows, Glock 22, XD .357, Para P14, and a PT92. Need advice on a good belt as well as possible holster combo's. The belly is in the way up front so nothing's going to get tucked away there. Dropping weight as we speak but I'm not gonna hit 200lbs any time soon. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you're doing as I did & confusing a regular belt for a gun belt. Huge difference.

Go to Dillons & order their catalog, they seem to have some of the better belts for CCL out there, IMO.

As for holster, that's a never ending search, IMO. IWB type is not for me, I don't want to have to buy all new pants in a bigger waist size.

Small of the back is way too uncomfortable for me too.

Crossdraw seems to fit me best although I seem to really use a fanny pack more often than not.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Go with a Wilderness Products Instructor's belt.  They are great.  You can buy them thru Dillon or go direct on the web.  They also make an interesting looking holster too.  If their holsters are half as good as their belts, you will be happy.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, we have somewhat different proportions, but at 6'4" tall and 295 lbs, with a 44" waist and a 56" chest, I carry a full size 1911 in a Safariland Model 23 IWB everyday.

The point about a good belt is an important one. Stop at a local leather store and check out their selection. You'll want one that is at least 1/4" thick, though a 3/8" will hold up better. I'm talking about the thickness of the leather, not top to bottom, though I prefer 1 1/2" if your pant loops will work with that.

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Aaahhh, I see I am not the only one suffering belly interference. I have found IWB small of the back most comfortable for me. Next is strong side IWB. Note: absolutely nothing stops my grips from becoming painfully obvious to anyone within eyesight if I need to kneel or bend over for any reason. Shoulder rigs do not work well for me nor do any rigs where I would have to wear the gun outside of my pants, because then I can't conceal it. Jackets ride up, or flap open, and bulge obviously due to the large gut I am carrying.

Best solution, lose weight all will be better. (Yeah, I've been working on that one for years)
Or have your outfits tailored to you. That gets a bit expensive though.

For any big boys out there that have a good idea, pictures are appreciated. Always looking for a better way.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the Milt Sparks NLG , it's a belt scabbard. This might sound weird but i wear it just infront of my side seam, no printing & pretty comfy ( for full size 1911 )

.........Paul
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I usually carry outside the waistband on a good leather slide holster.  Wear a sport coat over, and i'm good to go.  Sometimes I carry a .38 on an ankle rig.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got my CCW about 6 months ago and I am still working on methods.

I use an Uncle Mike IWB with a spare mag holder.
When I wear BDU's, I can carry a Glock 17 or a SIG 229 to the right of my belt buckle. I do wear long t-shirts mainly to cover the holster clip. I use a heavy duty leather belt.

When wearing jeans or more formal wear, I have to use a PPK with a IWB holster. The spare mag is held in a pocket.

I tried wearing it in the small of the back but it printed too well. Should be easier with a jacket.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:03:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm looking for some holster and belt suggestions from some of you bigger guys on here. Personally I'm 5'10" and about 285lbs. 42" waist. I cant seem to find a comfortable carry holster. Now that winter is here, I can possibly get away with a shoulder rig but don't know whats out there that has the adjustment I need as I have a 60 inch chest. I have pissed with a few fobus paddle holsters but they're not to fun. What I have that I shoot well and would stake my life on for carry is as follows, Glock 22, XD .357, Para P14, and a PT92. Need advice on a good belt as well as possible holster combo's. The belly is in the way up front so nothing's going to get tucked away there. Dropping weight as we speak but I'm not gonna hit 200lbs any time soon. Any ideas?

I am 6 feet tall and weigh 240 lbs. 36 inch waist, 52 inch chest. Shoulder holsters don't work well for concealment and they are uncomfortable for long periods of time. (They tend to make my neck hurt.) I am just not shaped properly for them.

The best suggestion I can give is to get a good quality belt like the aforementioned instructor's belt, or one of Eagle Industrie's BDU belts. The BDU belt is rigid enough to support all sorts of weight (flaslight, 1911, four spare mags, cuffs, knife, cellphone, .38 revolver and a spare speed loader in the pants pockets...) and it is still comfortable. Re-enforced belts aren't a bad idea either.

As to holsters, I use mainly Blade-Tech holsters for carry. I use their straigh drop hip holsters and their IWB holsters. Galco also makes nice IWB holsters too, especially their top of the line models. I only carry strong side hip or IWB for a primary gun, as I have found all other carry modes slow down the draw and are far less comfortable for me, not to mention that they print like a mofo almost anywhere else. My backup piece is usually in the pocket or sometimes carried beind the strongside hip in an IWB holster.

I never use paddle holsters as I find them uncomfortable and they shift around too much requiring constant discreet adjustment. (Which is sure to get your weapon spotted...)

The best advice I can give is resign yourself to spending a lot of time and money figuring out what works best for you. Buy good belts and good quality holsters until you get a feel for what works for you. I have been carrying for almost 5 years now and have developed an instinct for what works and what doesn't.

I have adjusted all my clothing purchases to accomodate a handgun. I buy pants one waist size larger than my waist to accomodate IWB carry. (Though with these new Royal Robbins 5.11 pants I have been wearing lately can comfortably fit IWB in my proper waist size) I also look at every reflective surface I pass to get a quick visual on what I look like to make sure no one can see my piece. Some people might think I am being vain, but what they don't know won't hurt me....

You can never be too aware when carrying a concealed handgun...
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:59:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I am a holster afficianado. All of your choices are fairly large handguns and this does complicate matters. Why? Contrary to what others will tell you it is easier to carry a smaller weapon. I mostly carry a Kahr K40 in a Milt Sparks Mirage. Will this holster work with your weapons? Probably not because of the length of the barrels.

You are better off going with an IWB holster. Which one? My choices for a large handguun are KL Null's UNS or VHH holsters, Milt Sparks Summer Special, or Lou Alessi's CQC-I. All of the holsters work well for me in the 3:00 position. I can even drive with them in that position.

Regards,

Richard:D
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Visit the Milt Sparks web site and call them to discuss your needs.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#11]
A friend of mine is about your build with maybe afew inches on ya but he carries a full frame 1911 45 with the belt clip grip in the small of his back. During the summer all he wears is a photogrphers vest (guess hi job) and he rarely prints at all.

The first time he was visiting He had it on him for 2 days before he pulled it out. I complemented him on it, but of course all friendlys are welcome in my house while carrying

Also another friend is about your build to the T and he carrys a G23 in a hiride hip holster all year

I myslef am alittle heavier then you at 6'2" and plan on going with a G23 or G22 with one of these holstering devices.

hope this helps
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top