Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/12/2002 3:42:09 AM EDT
At which ranges do you practice?
How do you stay in shape?
What do you consider to be "accurate enough"?
How do you replicate the stress of a shooting situation?

I guess that I wonder, after all, how you stay tuned.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:09:35 PM EDT
1. Usually on private property (not an official range).

2. Pizza & Beer, no really, just day to day activity.

3. Repeated single shot presentations from the holster at approx. 5 yards, with better than 75% of the shots touching.

4. The closest thing is working under a timer.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:44:46 PM EDT
At the public indoor range that's only 10 minutes from the house, I shot at 3, 5, 7, 10, 15 and 25 yards. I use IPSC silhouettes and try to keep my shots in the "A" zone. I usually draw and fire two, pushing to go as fast as I can and still get good hits. Then from the ready I fire two, again as fast as controlable. I will vary this with a single from the holster, then a double from ready, then a tripple from ready.

At the outdoor range I use, I take advantage of the opportunity and do multiple target exercises, like El Presidente or its many variations. I also do two targets, working on the transition between. Also while outside, I work on movement, which isn't possible in a shooting booth.

At the indoor range I usually shoot 150 rounds and try to go at least once a week. At the outdoor range, because it is further away and I don't get there as often to practice I shoot 200 rounds or more.

Jeff Cooper said something to me back in 1977 that I have tried to remember. Always shoot as fast as you can and still get good hits. Take only the time needed to hit. And, keep pushing yourself.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:58:04 PM EDT
I worked real slow until I could get 100 out of 100 in a 4-inch circle at 21 feet.

Now I draw from holster, getting first shot off as fast as possible, trying to put it in 4-inch circle at 21 or 75 feet. I'm satisfied if I get it within 8-inch circle. Outside that is bad.

I also move between 3 targets, at different distances, as fast as I can keep it within 8-inch circles.

Sometimes I do 6 shots as fast as I can, without using the sights between shots, so my arm/hand muscles learn how to aim when I don't have time for sights. I also like the noise.

To keep in shape I do decline sit-ups holding AR15.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 1:56:41 PM EDT
3 yds - speed-rock from the holster 3 rounds.
5 yds - Point shoulder from the holster
four rounds as fast as possible
7 yds - Point shoulder from the holster
four rounds as fast as possible
15yds - double taps from the ready.

Accuracy is primary, speed comes from practice.
I use B-5 targets and aim center of mass. In self defense I believe in multiple impacts in rapid succession.

I stay in shape by shooting... + pizza & Beer

Accurate enough for me is an 6" diameter circle
with the center being the center of the chest.

Replicate Stress?.......Good question, I personally prefer to mentally control stress and eliminate Panic. I try to be prepared to act calmly in stressful situation. A level head is you best and foremost weapon.

If you'd like to replicate the adrenaline rush of unexpected combat, try a few wind sprints immediately before firing your weapon

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 3:53:50 PM EDT
Thanks, guys.
Top Top