Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 8/30/2005 12:57:09 PM EDT
The local shop has 3 used ones that have been sitting around for a few months.  I think I'm ready to get one, but I really dont want one that has been rebuilt/refinished?

Is there an easy way to tell?  Factory rebuild stamp or anything?  Anything else to look out for?
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe all of the factory refurbs had their military/police markings removed.   Look for a mill mark on the right hand side of the slide.   Also look for a purple or brownish color slide, and check the sight inserts to see if they are missing or appear shrunken.   When they reblued them, they dipped the whole thing, sights and all.   The plastic sight inserts didn't fare so well in that process...   Also look for any odd import markings.   Shouldn't be anything other than Chantilly, VA (early guns) or Sterling, VA (later/current guns) there.   Some other importers picked up some surplus guns outside the country and their information will be marked on those.

However, it doesn't mean that they aren't police trade-ins.   In which case, they may have seen harder than average use.   Or they may have sat in a holster and never shot more than a couple of times a year.   Keep in mind that the factory refurbs are more than cosmetic - all springs, etc. would be replaced as well, and a non-refurb trade-in probably won't have this done.

Being somewhat of a rare gun, I'd suspect that any place that has three used ones are either refurbs or otherwise police trade-ins.   Which isn't to say that a police trade is would be bad, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for.   I picked up one a couple of years back for a price that couldn't be beat.  Externally, it was showing lots of wear (the factory bluing isn't very durable), but it doesn't appear to have seen much shooting.   I sent it off to be hard chromed.

What shop in PA, btw?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:54:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Target World, north of Philly.

I don't think they are refurbished.  They said the guns all came in individually on trade, and they just don't move well, (selling for $950).  They show just a little honest wear, and the slides are starting to turn plumb color, but they are dry, no oil.   The bluing looks more oxidized than plumb
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:11:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Forgive the question, but are you sure they are P7M8s and not P7PSPs?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:28:43 AM EDT
[#4]
They are p7m8s, they have the ambi mag release.  I'm pretty sure that they are recent production commercial guns, with A_ date codes (can't remember exactly), but not brand new.  I am just trying to make sure that they arent rebuilt, even though I'm pretty sure that they havent been.  I'm more of a S&W revolver guy, don't know much about H&K
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:16:09 AM EDT
[#5]
With a date code that recent, and lacking a mill mark or other importer's mark, you have a regular commercial-type model for sure. Not a bad price if the guns come with all the accessories that they came with from the factory (plastic serial #'d box, 2 mags, cleaning scraper & brush and manual). If they are missing any of these things the cost to acquire them (mags $50, scraper $20, brush $10, box $20, etc.) can add up quickly. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The local shop has 3 used ones that have been sitting around for a few months.  I think I'm ready to get one, but I really dont want one that has been rebuilt/refinished?

Is there an easy way to tell?  Factory rebuild stamp or anything?  Anything else to look out for?
Thanks

Rare is the H&K of any model that required a factory (or anything) rebuild. A factory refurbish only means it was checked out by H&K & deemed ok for resale.

I bought mine as a police trade-in with the plum colored slide & it is a wonderful shooter! These guns are usually a buyers market as they aren't cheap for a single stack 9mm. Dicker with your dealer & you should be able to save some $$$, IMO. Sitting in his case isn't making him any money, from my point of view.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top