Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 5:58:18 AM EDT

I'm looking at blowing a small bonus and am thinking about my next handgun purchase, and since I've never owned a Sig, I thought I would check 'em out. However, there are a few choices out there and thought I would ask all you Sig fans for some input.

PREFERENCES:
$400-$600 range
.45 ACP
Concealability (like a 3" bbl)
More than 7 or 8 rounds
Not a 1911 clone (I already have 1911s, I want something new)

CHOICES:

SIG P245

Springfield XD45

Taurus PT24/7

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I would have to say the P245!

1) I love Sigs
2) They will be discontunuing that line so get one while you can.
3) Excellent quality pistol
4) Has a longer track record than the others.

Unfortunately you need to handle the P245 because you will either like or really dislike the grip length. One last thing you may want to consider is the new P220 Compact (AKA P240) comming out in less than a month.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 on checking the grip length.  It doesn't fit my hand worth a shit.  And to me, the P225 is ergonomic perfection.  Get a P220 Carry when they come out.  More info at sigforum.com and ordnanceoutsellers.com.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:06:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would have to say the P245!

1) I love Sigs
2) They will be discontunuing that line so get one while you can.
3) Excellent quality pistol
4) Has a longer track record than the others.

Unfortunately you need to handle the P245 because you will either like or really dislike the grip length. One last thing you may want to consider is the new P220 Compact (AKA P240) comming out in less than a month.

+10!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]
SIG P239 w/ +P+  a good CCW IMO.....  Dont get stuck on the caliber,  see what shoots best in your hand.  Rent some at the local range if possible before you buy..
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#5]
ANY Sig will make you very happy.  I have 3 and I want more.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#6]
If you like .45 and can conceal a 1911, try a full size 220 or 220R.  If you don't want full size, I highly recommend a CPO 228 (if you can find one).  CPO Sigs are the best deal going IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:16:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
SIG P239 w/ +P+  a good CCW IMO.....  Dont get stuck on the caliber,  see what shoots best in your hand.  Rent some at the local range if possible before you buy..

I agree, its more important to see which fits your hand the best. Since you want it for carry, I suggest looking at the 239, 229 or 245..
I mostly carry the 239-40 and occasionally the 229-40.
I practice with a stainless 226 9mm.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#8]
The XD 45 has a 4" barrel, thats really not close to 3 at all, and if you want the best carry gun with a 3" barrel get a glock 26 with +P+ JHP ammo.

RoseMech
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I absolutely love my 228. It's about three years old, 2500 rounds through it, and shoots like the day it was brand new. I think I'd sell the wife before I ever got rid of that gun. Of Course, theres some days that she makes that decision kinda easy.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I see you mentioned 3" barrel, but if that's flexible really do check out the springfield XD45ACP.  It's a really nice pistol and has solved the main problem with the XDs - Finish (now same as glocks).
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a few Sigs, and can't say a bad word about them, they are great guns. My 228 carry has been well used, and is as good or better than day 1. The fininsh, is showing some wear, but it has been through the ringer. IMO, they get better with age. I guess you could eventually wear one out, but it will take a long time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:09:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Now, I don't own the Springfield Armory XD, but I've shot it and know several people who carry them. That is one sweet weapon. Very accurate, nice tight grouping. But that's all I can offer on it.

Sig is another story. I adore my Sig, I am looking at two others currently, and I swear by the one I own. It is accurate, tight groupings, not too fussy about ammo brands (although I highly suggest sticking to brass casings), and it is one tough little gun. Now, I am speaking of mine, which is a 226, so you can take this in stride, but I assume it says something for Sigs in general. Mine has been through hell and back, like their slogan says! has
So I always suggest a Sig.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I own a 220 and love it, as for the p245 Ive never shot one or heard much about them. Sig make some of the best handguns around IMO. But I do like other brands also, springfield and hk. The best advice I can give is what I tell any new officer who wants to buy a new weapon. Go out and try them (I mean all the brands you are lookingat) pick out the one that best fits you. What ever you do please don't just buy something because its popular. to many people do that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#14]
i have an p220 and love it. i also have a p245. it makes a great back up or CCW. the best part is that the mags from the p220 fit in the p245. i am 6 foot 2 inchs. and both fit in my hands very well. i just put a p229r on my permit and waiting to go to the range. i would recomend sigs over any other hand gun.

jeff
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Get them ALL. I have a:
Kimber Pro Carry II 45 acp
Springfield XD45acp
SIG P220 45acp

I couldn't deciede either so I got them all. No experience with the Tarus, but I have heard nothing but good. The best thing is to get the gun you are comfortable shooting and you can shoot fast and accurate. I am 5' 10" and 220 lbs and can carry concealed all of them albit not at the same time. If you feel the need to have more than 9 rounds then the XD 45acp (14) would be the answer. Most important is which one feels the best amd most sucure in your hands.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I have two buddies that have the P245 Sigs. I talked one of them into buy the P245 and now he is tickled pink with it. He is always bragging on it's accuracy. The P245's believe it or not are just as accurate as my P220 full-sized. The guns are narrow and compact enough to be extremely concealable and the recoil is very tolerable. In this sense I guarantee that you won't be disappointed.

1. Spooky accurate
2. Very concealable
3. Low recoil
4. Its a Sig so it'll last your lifetime

That having been said some people occassionally find the P245 grip a bit short so like others have said, make sure that it fits your hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top