Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2009 4:19:31 PM EDT
I got some cast Keith style bullets off gunbroker and the auction said 255 grain,out of curiosity I weighed a couple when the came in.They came out to 268 grains each! I don't imagine there's 8 grains of lube on them so what is a allowable over/under on bullet weight for cast bullets and should I be concerned about loading them with that deveation of weight? What powder and charge should I look at? Or should I contact sell and see what he will do?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I am guessing from the bullet weights that this is a 45 Colt? New Vaqueero or Vaqueero?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
My bad Rabon your right it's a 45! It's the older Vaquero.I was just looking on reloadammo.com and there's nothing for 265 grain so thats why I'm asking this bunch...lots of good experience in here! I emailed the seller with the same question so waiting to see what he says.8 grains isn't much but modding the bullet base to get them right doesn't sound like a safe option.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably speced out for a different alloy. The harder alloys are lighter.

In a small bore, the difference would be negligible, but not a bullet this big.

I cast round lead balls for my ¼-scale 12-pounder Napoleon. The ball diameter is 1.125"

The difference in weight between a pure lead ball and wheelweight ball is 72 grains.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Not unusual at all. My "250" grain Keith bullets wind up a little over 260 grains when cast out of wheel weights. I just use 250 grain lead loading data and look for pressure signs.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:26:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not unusual at all. My "250" grain Keith bullets wind up a little over 260 grains when cast out of wheel weights. I just use 250 grain lead loading data and look for pressure signs.

+1  I never start out at max anyway.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#6]
You will probably have to try diff bullet weights to find what works with your sights. I use a 335 cast with 24 Grs W 296 in the New Model SA Rugers chambered for the 45 Colt you won't even get close to a maximum load in your Vaqueero.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't think of a need to shoot max loads in the Ruger,I always shoot mid range loads.I may get close to high end with jacketed loads but for cast I go with moderation! I'm just going to start with 255 loads and keep my eye on them! Thanks guys...I got my new grips in and should start checkering on them soon(Dads doing the work actually)!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top