Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2012 5:59:59 PM EDT
I'm thinking about a 2011 sti and can't figure out if I want a bull or bushing barrel. I've read and everyone seems to have a different opinion. Some say the bull is more accurate some say otherwise. Bushing fans claim the bull will have to re replaced and refitted when worn and the bushing barrel only needs a new bushing. How many rounds would t take to make the gun worn enough to merit changing the bushing/barrel.

Looking at uspsa limited, but I'd like the ability to shoot IDPA if the need arise so bushing would be good there. Of course if the bull is that much better ill go with that and figure out something else to do idpa.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about a 2011 sti and can't figure out if I want a bull or bushing barrel. I've read and everyone seems to have a different opinion. Some say the bull is more accurate some say otherwise. Bushing fans claim the bull will have to re replaced and refitted when worn and the bushing barrel only needs a new bushing. How many rounds would t take to make the gun worn enough to merit changing the bushing/barrel.

Looking at uspsa limited, but I'd like the ability to shoot IDPA if the need arise so bushing would be good there. Of course if the bull is that much better ill go with that and figure out something else to do idpa.

I've owned both.  Both are quite capable of accuracy beyond what us humans are capable of exploiting.  The added weight of a bull barrel is a plus I guess but I like the serviceability of a bushing.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Bushing.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a bull for uspsa style shooting.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 2:08:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Bushing.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Bushing and short dust cover if you want to shoot both IDPA and USPSA, basically, the STI Eagle.

I like having a bushing and I can't see that having a bull barrel really tames recoil compared to a bushing barrel.  Accuracy is completely and utterly dependent on A) the quality of the barrel and B) the care taken in fitting the barrel.   Recoil characteristics can be adjusted by trying different mainspring and recoil spring weight combinations.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not like the .45 is a beast to shoot regardless.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Like weight up front: Bull

Dislike weight up front: Bushing

That's about it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#8]
You could buy the gun with a bull barrel and then have a spare bushing barrel fit for it.

That's the route I took after buying this one.  I put the bushing barrel in it for IDPA, and the original bull barrel and magwell can get installed if I need to use it as a USPSA backup gun.   Frankly the bushing barrel stays in it most of the time anyway, there isn't enough of a noticeable difference to me that I feel I simply MUST have the bull barrel installed to shoot a USPSA match.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 3:07:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Missed the IDPA part. That pretty much forces you into a bushing barrel.

Life span of a barrel for USPSA or IDPA can be over 40,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:31:55 AM EDT
[#10]
No one makes non custom 2011 with a full dust cover and a bushing do they? Like the sti EDGE with a bushing instead?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:36:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No one makes non custom 2011 with a full dust cover and a bushing do they? Like the sti EDGE with a bushing instead?

I think you can get the Edge and Tactical with a bushing barrel, if you order it that way, but long dust covers aren't allowed in IDPA.  Too gamey, apparently.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you can get the Edge and Tactical with a bushing barrel, if you order it that way, but long dust covers aren't allowed in IDPA.  Too gamey, apparently.  

Wow, Dumb. Oh well different game so I can't complain too much but alas, idpa should make everyone compete with nothing larger than a g26.

I like the edge look more than the short dust cover.
I guess My GF's cz sp01 isn't legal too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, Dumb. Oh well different game so I can't complain too much but alas, idpa should make everyone compete with nothing larger than a g26.

I like the edge look more than the short dust cover.
I guess My GF's cz sp01 isn't legal too.

IDPA and USPSA has a list of approved handguns and or limitations of a handgun for  each division.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bushing.

Bull is RETARDED for a handgun IMHO....

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Bushing, there just isn't enough advantage to make a bull worth having IMHO. The timer is what tells me if something is worth having and bulls don't give me enough to make it worth it...

Maybe I'm just old school, I dunno.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top