Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2005 8:46:50 AM EDT
Shooting quite a bit of .45 lately, but I dont reload anymore. Finally down to my last case of S&B. Any deals on decent factory .45ACP 230FMJ in case quantities? Ive checked the usual suspects - Ammoman, Sportsman, Natchez etc but I cam across  nothing spectacular. Thought I'd ask before I ordered. Likely need 5k rounds.

Thx
Alac
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#1]
well when you say spectacular what kind of price range are you talking about?  and do you have any criteria--bullet type, casing material, etc?  that way i can keep my eyes open.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Shooting quite a bit of .45 lately, but I dont reload anymore. Finally down to my last case of S&B. Any deals on decent factory .45ACP 230FMJ in case quantities? Ive checked the usual suspects - Ammoman, Sportsman, Natchez etc but I cam across  nothing spectacular. Thought I'd ask before I ordered. Likely need 5k rounds.

Thx
Alac

Beyond that, I'd prefer brass cased, boxer primed.  S&Bs been pretty decent, but I have some concerns about it now. Maybe its fine - 3k and I havnt had issues. But the persistent kaboom threads tell me to spend the extra $30-40.  I bought it previous since Wilson had reccomended.

Looks like American Eagle (which Im not overly fond of), Winchester WB, UMS andSpeer Lawman all seee to go for @ $230 shipped. Just wondering if anyones aware of anyhting better - I always miss the deals.

Thx
Alac

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#3]
CCI Blazer is about the cheapest brass cased factory .45 you can find. I can get it for about .18 per round locally. It's cheaper at Natchez or Midway but shipping pushes the price up to where it's the same to get it locally.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
CCI Blazer is about the cheapest brass cased factory .45 you can find. I can get it for about .18 per round locally. It's cheaper at Natchez or Midway but shipping pushes the price up to where it's the same to get it locally.

yeah blazer brass at natchez is even on sale right now.  it would come to $800 for 5k rounds.  or you can save $10 and buy the aluminum cased and berdan primed blazer.  you will also save 40lbs with the aluminum cases which comes to a difference of $15 in shipping.  as you don't reload anymore i guess that wouldn't be a problem for you.  i have used a few thousand rounds of their 9mm stuff and love it--no ammo related malfunctions.  their bulk prices kick in at 10 boxes so i suggest you buy a half case of the blazer and the rest blazer brass just so you can compare the two.  but honestly for the $25 difference between the two i would get the brass just because it is better even though by just a little bit.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:55:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Great guys - I hadnt even considered Blazer. Since I moved 3 years ago I havnt even bothered to set up the Dillon (just dont have time). But I still pick up brass, thinking after the kids are older and business settles down I'll get back to it. For the money, you're right , skip the aluminum. Im betting the brass is relatively soft and thin - anyone actually reloaded it?

$180 a case is better than I thought I'd do. Thanks again guys - 300 pounds, my UPS guys already hates me

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Blazer brass reloads fine does not appear any thinner.
It does appear concave on the case head but works fine
Clean after being fired too.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks again guys - 300 pounds, my UPS guys already hates me

don't worry natchez seems to do a pretty good job of keeping their boxes down in the 20lb range.  so you will likely be getting a lot of boxes.  i could be completely wrong though as i haven't bought more than 1000 rounds at a time.  just tip the guy like $5 and that way after lugging all that ammo to your door he can buy himself lunch.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:44:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Have you looked at georgia-arms.com ??

They have canned heat, 1000 rounds for $200 (230 gr FMJ).

Great quality re-manufactured ammo.

Lex in NC

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:55:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I almost always order the AE 230gr. FMJ from Natchez. My cost for a 1000 round case delivered to Florida is about $200. WWB at Wal-Mart comes to about $220 after sales tax.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:58:16 AM EDT
[#10]
DILLON 550b  or 650 press
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:07:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Although not brass cased my 1911s have no problem digesting wolf.  It's not the most accurate load in the world and it stinks pretty bad but it does run and is cheap.   When I dont run my reloading press it's a decent alternative.   I have had a couple rounds out of the 2K case with dead primers so it's definitely plinking only ammo.  

I did run into a deal last year of WWB at $79/500 but like an idiot I only bought 500 rounds and it damned sure doesnt go for that now.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:54:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Have you looked at georgia-arms.com ??

They have canned heat, 1000 rounds for $200 (230 gr FMJ).

Great quality re-manufactured ammo.

Lex in NC

thats the same price as blazer brass so why pay the same price for remanufactured ammo?  i would definitely get new ammo.  but then again i am a 9mm guy so ammo is cheap enough as it is.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Have Dillon, dont have the time - guess you missed that above. If you have some extra time for sale cheap tho, Im in.

Gonna skip the Wolf and reloads, but thanks for the suggestions. I'll let ya'll know how shitty the Blazer is ;)

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Wally World has 100 rds of .45 230 grn. FMJ in the value packs for $17.?? in my city.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:11:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I just ordered the Blazer Brass from Natchez.  500 rounds of the 45 came to $79.99 and 500 of the 40S&W came to $74.99.  With shipping everything  came to $175 and was at my door in 2 days.  Only complaint I have is that UPS opened the box and I was missing one box of the 45.  Called Natchez and they said since UPS opened the box they have to pay for it, so I'm waiting on one box right now.  Not overly concerned about $8 but still would like to  get it.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I just ordered the Blazer Brass from Natchez.  500 rounds of the 45 came to $79.99 and 500 of the 40S&W came to $74.99.  With shipping everything  came to $175 and was at my door in 2 days.  Only complaint I have is that UPS opened the box and I was missing one box of the 45.  Called Natchez and they said since UPS opened the box they have to pay for it, so I'm waiting on one box right now.  Not overly concerned about $8 but still would like to  get it.  

that is quite odd about ups opening the box.  i have ordered ammo from a few places online over the past 2 years and never once had a box opened.  and to think that they removed part of your order from that box.  i would suggest you call ups about it.  if you still have the packaging then you have the tracking number.  they can pull up the records and see just about exactly what happened to that box from the time it left natchez in chattanooga iirc to when it landed at your door.  while they can't be entirely sure who touched it, other than the pick-up and delivery drivers, they can give you a lot of info.  and you might even get a nice little letter from the corporate office appologizing.  i worked briefly as a jumper for ups last winter and from what i experienced as an employee as well as a customer over the years i have to say they seem like a stand-up company and treat people right.

oh and i hope you enjoy the ammo.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Well Natchez seems to be taking care of it.  I have a feeling what happened was the box was dropped, it came open and somehow a box was lost.  I'll let you know how it works out.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that is quite odd about ups opening the box.  i have ordered ammo from a few places online over the past 2 years and never once had a box opened.  and to think that they removed part of your order from that box.  i would suggest you call ups about it.  if you still have the packaging then you have the tracking number.  they can pull up the records and see just about exactly what happened to that box from the time it left natchez in chattanooga iirc to when it landed at your door.  while they can't be entirely sure who touched it, other than the pick-up and delivery drivers, they can give you a lot of info.  and you might even get a nice little letter from the corporate office appologizing.  i worked briefly as a jumper for ups last winter and from what i experienced as an employee as well as a customer over the years i have to say they seem like a stand-up company and treat people right.

oh and i hope you enjoy the ammo.

Just got off the phone with Natchez, they sent the box out yesterday.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#19]
thats good of natchez.  are they getting ups to foot the bill?  i would suggest calling ups to complain anyways.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:00:16 PM EDT
[#20]
On this subject... my first 400 rounds of .45 were Magtech 230g FMJ @ $8.99/box from Cabelas (picked it up there).

So for 1000 rounds that equates to $179.8 w/o tax.

However, I recently went to a very local gunshop and purchased a case of Independence .45 230g FMJ for $180 w/ tax included.  So saved gas money, time, and tax was included in that price.

Now I will say that this ammo *looks* somewhat cheaper than the magtech.  The bullets aren't as smooth, the casings look a little wierd, and for some reason just don't look as good as the Magtech.

I'll be interested to see how they perform though.  I mean, this is just range ammo.  As long as it doesn't explode I'm happy lol
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#21]
independence is the red box right?  if it is what i think it is then yes it does have a goofy looking crimp.  i have never had any problems with it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#22]
I buy Fiocchi 230grn @ $170
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have Dillon, dont have the time - guess you missed that above. If you have some extra time for sale cheap tho, Im in.

Gonna skip the Wolf and reloads, but thanks for the suggestions. I'll let ya'll know how shitty the Blazer is ;)

Luck
Alac

1000 rounds  in an hour?  No time?  Sounds like you don't have time to shoot.....

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thx
Alac

Beyond that, I'd prefer brass cased, boxer primed.  S&Bs been pretty decent, but I have some concerns about it now. Maybe its fine - 3k and I havnt had issues. But the persistent kaboom threads tell me to spend the extra $30-40.  I bought it previous since Wilson had reccomended.

Looks like American Eagle (which Im not overly fond of), Winchester WB, UMS andSpeer Lawman all seee to go for @ $230 shipped. Just wondering if anyones aware of anyhting better - I always miss the deals.

Thx
Alac

I use AE 230gr. FMJ for almost all of my range shooting. Through my Wilsons, RRAs, Colts, Valtro, Kimbers, etc. It has never let me down. I order from Natchez at about $200/1000 delivered to Florida.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
independence is the red box right?  if it is what i think it is then yes it does have a goofy looking crimp.  i have never had any problems with it.

Blue and white box.  Some stores on the net are calling it CCI Independence although it does not say CCI on any of my boxes.

Anyway, no biggy.  The guy at the shop said he had used plenty of Independence himself on the range.  They just *look* cheap to me :P
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I gotta toss in another vote for the Fiocchi.  Inexpensive (relative to some of the others) and has always been 100% reliable in any of the guns I have shot, in any caliber.  Hell, in my P226, it was the most accurate ammo I ever found.

Woody
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blue and white box.  Some stores on the net are calling it CCI Independence although it does not say CCI on any of my boxes.

Anyway, no biggy.  The guy at the shop said he had used plenty of Independence himself on the range.  They just *look* cheap to me :P

hmm then what am i thinking of--oh american or something like that.  oh well.  hey it is range ammo so it doesn't need to look high speed.  thats what nickel cases are for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top