Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2002 7:21:30 PM EDT
How much can I build a 1911 if I buy a 80% frame, finish it, and assemble the parts from a kit ? I'm not at all interested in a race gun, I just want a plain jane 45 and I'd like to make it myself for the experience.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember I built a kit .45 that came from Fed Ord for $200 many years ago.  The frame was 100% complete (well really 97%).  It was alot of work and fitting, and it turned out great, though it was alot of work.  It was the cheapest of all parts imaginable.  It was alot of work with a frame that was already completed.  I would not recommend an 80% anything if you have to ask questions about it.  Not a flame, just that the 100% frame was more than enough work to get right.  An 80% frame may not be a good idea for a first time build.  

You can buy a complete parts kit for $250 from Sprotsmans Guide.  Then just go down to the gunshow and buy a frame.  Put the thing together.  I would think you could find a cheap frame for under $100.  You'll have to finnish it somehow as well, so add some money there for even a do-it-yourself finnish.  I would think you could have the complete gun done for under $350 easy.  

You can buy complete .45 autos for that kinda money, but the experience of building it is worth it.  I would think an 80% frame would be even cheaper, but would be alot more work and teh chances of screwing it up are dramacitaclly higher.

Ross
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 3:23:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:46:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Shoot, I'm going to build a pistol on the wide-body kit, just for grins.

Does the RIA wide-body take ParaOrd hi-caps?  Guess there wouldn't be much point to it otherwise.  The wide-body RIAs I've seen looked a little rougher than the others.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:52:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:How much can I build a 1911 if I buy a 80% frame, finish it, and assemble the parts from a kit ? I'm not at all interested in a race gun, I just want a plain jane 45 and I'd like to make it myself for the experience.

If you don't have or aren't comfortable using a milling machine you probably won't want to fool with it.  Also, if you don't have a lot of patience for cleaning up the metal on the 80% frame, you'd probably be better off buying a receiver.  Plus there are plenty of specialized (read: expensive) tools that it's hard to do without -- plunger tube staking tool, front sight staking tool, hammer & sear stoning jig, etc. You can build a 1911 without them but they save a lot of time and frustration.  If you are still interested despite these obstacles visit the following URL, it is extremely informative.

www.roderuscustom.tzo.com
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 3:57:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top