Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 4:30:09 AM EST
Last night I looked at my revolver to see if I should clean it or not and noticed flakey buildup for the first half inch of barrel in front of the cylnder. I was shooting my Rossi 68 the other day with some UMC leadround nose bullets. Is this lead deposits?
I also notice that the cylnder rotates a little when the gun is in "lockup". I made sure the gun was unloaded and looked down the barrel with the clynder closed and I could see about an 1/8 of an inch of the front of the cylnder when I jiggled it. Is this bad?

Sorry for the bad spelling. I'm in a hurry.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:51:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/30/2004 4:52:24 AM EST by Green_Canoe]
The flakey deposits are lead. It will take some elbow grease and a good solvent to get those out. There are also some products specificallyy made to remove lead. One looks like a copper or brass piece of window screen you use to scape it out.

I have leading problems with my revolvers, but its because I'm shooting a non-gaschecked bullet at 1350 fps. If you are shooting target loads (under 900 fps and more likely 750-850 fps) you should not get any significant leading.

Now on to your big problem: A little wiggle is normal on production revolvers. If you are actually seeing 1/8" you have serious problems. Do not shoot the gun until it is corrected. With that kind of misallignment it has the potential to be a lead spitter and will be a danger to those standing next to you as well as down range. Accuracy will only be by chance. This would also contribute to your leading problem. By a "little wiggle" I mean a few thousandths of movement on the circumference of the cylinder.

Kent
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:57:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/30/2004 5:03:03 AM EST by mr_wilson]
Suspect your correct about the barrel deposits being lead, clean that thang!

As to cylinder rotating in "lock-up"........., see 1 & 2 below:

1. Are you saying that when the hammer is cocked back and revolver is locked up in a "ready to fire" state, needing only a touch on the trigger to set it off, that the cylinder rotates abit??????

2. Or are you talking about cylinder closed, hammer in a resting state, the cylinder rotates abit??????

FWIW, 1 is NOT normal, 2 is normal.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:57:30 AM EST
I thought that the stuff was probably lead. The gun was fairly clean before I started shooting and I was hitting the target pretty good, but after 20 or so rounds the bullets woulndn't hit a man sized target at 15 yds.

As to mr_wilson my problem is #1. I recoken that when I was shooting that what I thought was smoke coming from my gun was lead dust from the bullet hitting the side of the barrel or something.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:43:15 AM EST
There are some cleaning brushes called "tornado" style which do a great job on lead. Unlike the standard bristle brushes, the tornado style will put some surface bearing on the lead & scrape it out.

Outers Foul-out also does a great job.
Top Top