Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2011 7:31:44 PM EDT
I'm picking up a novak/Action works custom 9mm BHP built on a Practical .40 frame. What can you guys tell me about this gun, will it hold up to alot of shooting, as i believe it has an alloy frame although is there any chance of wearing one of these out?
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Research shows it's normal frame with Chrome added.  Only lightweight frame was small production from the 50s done with earlier model.
Otherwise it's a heavier slide version of the third series.  I think I saw an article from Leroy Thompson a few years ago where he said the newest series was good for 50k rounds or so before you should look at carrying some replacement parts.  The parts that could break I don't recall.  I suggest talking to some of the smiths that work on these to ask theim.
One of the pages on Cylinser and Slide says this is "The hot setup" for warm 9mm rounds.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 5:06:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought the newer frames were the same and it was the slide that was different from 9MM to .40 S&W...is yours a converted .40 S&W pistol???...the slide will appear a bit different as it is heavier...should it be a conversion, you ought to be GTG on shooting any 9MM through it...
Bill
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 6:38:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I thought the newer frames were the same and it was the slide that was different from 9MM to .40 S&W...is yours a converted .40 S&W pistol???...the slide will appear a bit different as it is heavier...should it be a conversion, you ought to be GTG on shooting any 9MM through it...
Bill

The slide was from a FN high power 9mm and milled to accept the larger 40 Ejector on the gun.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 5:16:00 AM EDT
[#4]
but I believe the frames are the same whether they are 9MM or .40 S&W...and cast...the slides were different...the Practical frame should just be hard chromed (silver chrome) from FN (Browning)...

Bill
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 4:51:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
but I believe the frames are the same whether they are 9MM or .40 S&W...and cast...the slides were different...the Practical frame should just be hard chromed (silver chrome) from FN (Browning)...

Bill

The 9mm and 40S&W share the same exact frame. Browning switched to a cast frame (can't remember exact year) after they discovered the 40 S&W cartridge was shooting the pistols to pieces. This is why you hear cast frames are stronger than the steel. This is in Stephen Camp's informative book entitled, The Shooters Guide to the Browning Hi-Power (revised edition).

Slimjim: I never heard of anyone machining the extractor slot on a 9mm frame to accept a 40S&W extractor? So the 40 extractor will make positive engagement on the 9mm rim and extract it reliably?
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 5:19:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm picking up a novak/Action works custom 9mm BHP built on a Practical .40 frame. What can you guys tell me about this gun, will it hold up to alot of shooting, as i believe it has an alloy frame although is there any chance of wearing one of these out?

Who did the work- Novak or Don Williams at The Action Works?

Anyway the frame is cast (all .40s&w frames are).  That started about 1995 IIRC.  I have had two 9mm HP Practicals.  They both dated to 1995.  They used up the forged frames before they switched to all cast.  I had a forged as well as a cast frame Practical.

I still have the cast frame.

I wouldn't worry too much about the longevity of the beast.  

The only downside the Practical is you have to strip the finish if you are going to have a beavertail welded on.  That is one addition my BHPs could really use but I am a cheapo and I can't seem to justify it.

Link Posted: 12/14/2011 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who did the work- Novak or Don Williams at The Action Works?

Anyway the frame is cast (all .40s&w frames are).  That started about 1995 IIRC.  I have had two 9mm HP Practicals.  They both dated to 1995.  They used up the forged frames before they switched to all cast.  I had a forged as well as a cast frame Practical.

I still have the cast frame.

I wouldn't worry too much about the longevity of the beast.  

The only downside the Practical is you have to strip the finish if you are going to have a beavertail welded on.  That is one addition my BHPs could really use but I am a cheapo and I can't seem to justify it.

Slimjim: I never heard of anyone machining the extractor slot on a 9mm frame to accept a 40S&W extractor? So the 40 extractor will make positive engagement on the 9mm rim and extract it reliably?

Don williams did the work to the slide, heres the info i was sent on it. I was mistaken and mixed up ejector and extractor.
Started with a FN barrel and FN slide
Mill Ejector Channel in slide to fit the wider .40S&W ejector
Carry Bevel Package
Reliabilty package
Heinie rear site with serrations
Heinie front site with trijicon
Refinish in Birdsong Black T

Novak did the rest of the work to the frame:

Reliability Package
Trigger job
Stiple front and rear backstrap
Novak Extended Strong Side Safety
Removed magazine disconnect
Carry Bevel package
Beveled Mag well
Re-hardchromed frame
Spegal grips
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Understand the confusion on extractor vs ejector. Now, how about some pictures of this Practical? The two best in the land did the work and we'd like to see it. Thanks. And one more thing Slimjim, how did Novak's do a reliablitiy package on the frame?
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Understand the confusion on extractor vs ejector. Now, how about some pictures of this Practical? The two best in the land did the work and we'd like to see it. Thanks. And one more thing Slimjim, how did Novak's do a reliablitiy package on the frame?

Well, i think the frame reliability package thing just got copied by accident when i was trying to sort out what was done to the gun when it had a 40 slide on it, and what was done to the 9mm slide to fit the 40 frame. When i finally get the gun this weekend will post pics.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#10]
And?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:02:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry, havent had time to post pics, will do that sometime soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top