Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2002 6:01:26 AM EDT
I recently saw some guys who had the magazine safties removied from their Hi Powers. This meant that not only would it fire a round in the chamber with no magazine inserted but empty magazines drop free from the gun.

I want to do this to my gun.

How difficult is this? I can do a field strip ok but I'm not a master gunsmith. Can anyone talk me through it? Is their a step by step with photos on the net that I could be linked to?
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 11:51:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Did all mine, works great...Helps "let off" too. The trigger pin is retained by a groove at its center, after the pin is drifted out, R to L, move trigger forward and pivot down into the trigger guard for removal. The cross pin in the trigger is the one to remove the mag safety and spring. I put my safeties back in without the spring to retain (not lose) the part and fill the hole to keep dirt out...optional. Keep an eye on relationship of parts for reassembly. Doing so may have legal ramifications, like "modifying a gun to kill better" in court. If I'm not mistaken, the Nazis omitted this part to hasten production during Belgian occupation during WWII.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:45:28 AM EDT
[#2]
One of the few good things about the HP's ignition system design is that the trigger can be easily removed without disturbing the hammer, sear, etc.

Once the trigger is out, remove the pin that retains the spring and mag safety.  Then put the pin back in so you won't have an ugly hole in the trigger.

Some variations of the HP don't like having the mag safety removed, the sear lever won't be in the right spot without it.  This can often be remedied by purchasing an aftermarket trigger without the safety.  C&S sells a couple.  I have their "wide combat trigger" and don't recommend it.  Something about the way it's designed makes it painful to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#3]
My FM Argie doesn't have a mag safety anymore.  The previous owner had it removed.  The trigger isn't as mushy as any of the other ones I've owned/own.  The mag dropping free is nice as well.  I like it on that one, as it also has a C&S extended safety, and I've carried it in the past.  Really, if it wasn't for the poor, small sights on it, there wouldn't be any drawbacks.  Even with those, it's not a bad set-up at all.

Ross
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#4]
That was one of the first things I did to my Browning, and I have never regretted doing it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top