Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2005 5:03:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Two things:

When your handgun does not go to slide lock, check to see if your thumb or part of your weak hand might be bumping/riding the slide release.  I dont do it on xd's but sigs never slide lock for me when shooting two handed unless I think about it.  OK since i don't sigs anymore.

Spare mags.  I picked up 2 15 rounders at academy for $17 each.  They were springfield and I would have bought more but that is all they had left.  good luck
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Double check your grip.. if you are used to shooting 1911's with "high thumbs" you might have troubles with  intermittant slide lock.  99% of the time that'll fix it.

As far as the front sight goes,  it should not be pinned in any way, they are just normal dovatail sights, same dovetails as Sig pistols. I have no idea what the hole in the slide under the front sight is for, but nither of mine are pinned. They have had a batch of loose dovetails slip through QC, but usually they are "too tight", and very hard to adjust.  Springfield will fix the sights, if thats the problem; I'd call them.

The Subcompact magazines do rattle sometimes, particularly with the shorter OAL FMJ ammo. Longer quality JHP bullets usually dont. If they are in the gun, they dont rattle for me. FWIW, the fullsize 15 round mags do not rattle AT ALL. I usually tap the magazine on my palm to seat the rounds fully to the rear in the magazine.

I have two of the XD pistols and have been very happy with them. Both are carry guns. My only gripe is the finish does seem a bit fragile, but havnt had any rust issues, and holster wear is and was expected.

ETA: the sights need to be drifted from right to left (as seen from a shooters prospective), and not the other way around; the dovetails are tapered IIRC
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a similar sight issue with my Defender a few years ago.  My target was shotguned, and I couldn't figure it out 'cause the sight picture was good.  Then I looked at the rear sight's alightment to the slide and after each shot the little bastard was moving back and forth.  Needless to say the Defender got it's wagon fixed good, but I recieved no slack from my pals that afternoon.

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 5:42:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I have heard about the problems with the slide finish, if this pistol seems to be holding up after I get it back I may send it to Walter Birdsong, or somewhere similar.

I don't know this to be true but I have been told that if your finish tends to wear or you have rust problems you can contact megan@springfield-armory and you can send in your XD for a free finish upgrade.

They will do all the metal on your pistol in their new "armory kote" finish that they claim is much better than the origional finish.

You can get it in OD green, black or silver.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 6:36:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I just recently decided to get myself one of the polymer framed pistols. Most of what I've read on the XD from real time accounts has been somewhat negative. Because of that I ended leaning towards the Glock. Seeing R. Lee as the new Spokesman getting some with the new OD frame drove me over the edge. Other than the trigger which is definitely a lot rougher than I'm used to im very happy with the purchase. The pistol is very accurate, capacity is great with 16rds of .40 and I haven't had one hiccup with 300+ rounds down range so far.

Semper-Fi, DD out!!  

Link Posted: 3/8/2005 7:04:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I just recently decided to get myself one of the polymer framed pistols. Most of what I've read on the XD from real time accounts has been somewhat negative.

????  This is first post I've seen where a slight problem was encountered that wasn't related to finish.  You should really get yourself a SIG but the XD are not looked upon negatively at all, I'm not sure where you garnered that information from.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 7:28:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I've never had any problem with the slide release on my other pistols, including the similar Glocks, but with the shorter grip on the XD I might be doing something different.

I do, I catch myself hitting the slide release all the time on my XD. Something about the position of it, no problems with any other pistols I shoot.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Also the slide started to periodically fail to lock open on the last round.

I think you will find that is a problem with your grip.

I too am a long time Glock shooter and bought an XD last year just to try one out. I also feel like the XD has a really high bore center which makes it feel top heavy but I think that is just because we are so use to our Glocks.

Anyway, first time I took mine out I was having the same issue with the slide not always locking back (even though it would every time if I manually pulled it back) I posted something on the XD forum to find out if it was a common problem and it was suggested to me that I was letting my thumb ride the slide release. I first I thought they were crazy but then I took it out (The XD) and played with it (sounds kind of sick doesn't it? ) and found out  two things...

A. The slide release is very sensitive on XD when the action is cycling. Try this (obviously with an empty weapon) grip the XD with your right hand (as if you where going to fire) and purposely place you thumb on the slide release (You don't have to put any pressure on it, just rest it there) and then with an empty mag in it, rack the slide with your left hand. Do this a number of times and I think you will see that more times than not, the slide will not lock back.

B. As a Glock shooter, I am use to a much lower bore center so I tend to grip the XD very high up on the frame to compensate and found that when doing that, my thumb tended to rest on, or close to, the slide release.

I have shot this gun a number of times since then but now I always pay attention to where I place my right thumb. Since doing that, I have never had the slide fail to lock back.

(and I decided to stick with Glocks for my primary defensive pistol! )

Hope that helps
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You should really get yourself a SIG

Aimless, I agree with this 101%!!! And not just because I have  P239 for sale....OK, maybe that is it
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Could be that it's my grip, but I've shot most commonly available semi-automatic pistols and never had this problem with another one. Honestly I didn't even think of it until after the pistol was at the gunshop and I stopped to mention on my way back home from a metting. It wasn't something I was too worried about, I figured it was a bum magazine or something else that was no big deal.

g/f.

I shoot 1911's and picked up an xd for a knockaround gun.  I have no slidelock issues with it or glocks.  Sigs are a different matter.  Friend of mine has trouble with glocks and not sigs.  We all have different hands and different grips.  Shoot it with your left hand and I'll bet you don't have a prob.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I own an XD and something you should consider to reduce the finish wear is a product called Blue Wonder Armadillo. It works really well. Midway USA carries it as well as www.pistol-gear.com
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#15]
slide locking back is definately your grip. its takedown assembely is the same as a sigs.

the front site being loose... i have heard that only once out of the hundreds of XD owners i know.

also, SA is constantly changing minor things on the XD so certain problems very per year.  on top of that, there is very high demand for the XDs and that usually leads to lower QC.

the best part about it is SA knows it, and when they mean lifetime warranty, they mean lifetime warranty w/ no questions asked and all shipping paid.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Never had any issues with my XD and its going on 2,000 rounds now.

I haven't heard of any sight issue but the slide issue is pretty common.  At www.hs2000talk.com/ this comes up pretty regularly.  I never had the problem but a lot of people have.

Mine is dead nuts center and I even converted a Glock shooter whil in LA with my XD.  His Glock 34 was nice and he did pretty well with it but did even better with my XD9 sub compact.  I shot his Glock and had it stovepipe on my three times which convinced me that I had made the right choice with the XD.  Could have be my grip or some other reason but I have no luck with Glocks.

With regards to rust I've not seen it yet.  Maybe because I have the bi-tone I haven't run into it yet but I do take care of my gun.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#17]
The slide lock is easy check your grip most likely the thumb is touching it.

Put a little loctite in the dovetail (blue) and tap it back center you will be good to go.

The hole under the slide actually goes back to the HS95. The HS95 was manufactured during Croatias war and early versions were pined from underneith kind of like Glock sights are. Well to adjust/remove/fix the sights you had to take the slide off....This was decided as not a good thing becuase you may have to do it in the field. They updated the the slide and put a front dovetail in place. The hole is still there till today.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 5:56:44 AM EDT
[#18]
There was no danger of the sights coming off mine accidently. Monday we put night sights on mine and the origional sights were on tighter than any I have ever seen in my life.

The sight tool designed for removing and replacing sights would not even start to move these sights.

We had to use a punch and a heavy hammer to get them off.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
slide locking back is definately your grip. its takedown assembely is the same as a sigs.

the front site being loose... i have heard that only once out of the hundreds of XD owners i know.

also, SA is constantly changing minor things on the XD so certain problems very per year.  on top of that, there is very high demand for the XDs and that usually leads to lower QC.

the best part about it is SA knows it, and when they mean lifetime warranty, they mean lifetime warranty w/ no questions asked and all shipping paid.

Yea almost like a sig except you don't have to trigger a sig to put it together!

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top