Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2006 1:59:47 PM EDT
I know this is really a dumb question, but ya please just answer. I'm looking to get a sig 229 for my first pistol and was looking over images of the gun online. I'm not sure where the safety is.  Its the lever right above the grip correct?

Let me know if I've got it right
Thanks

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#1]
The DA/SA Sigs DO NOT have a Manual safety.

The Decocking lever lets you safely drop the hammer on a loaded round.
When the hammer is down , the first shot will be using the double action trigger pull ,
and the rest of the mag will be fired single action.

Unlike a 1911 or other SA pistols , the sig is Perfectly safe hammer down.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#2]
No manual safety required. The first DA pull will require ~ 10 lbs. pressure. With a properly functioning P229, the hammer cannot contact the firing pin unless you pull the trigger. There is a safe notch that keeps the hammer away from the firing pin.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#3]
No pull trigger, gun no fire.

The proper method of carrying a classic series (P2xx) or SigPro is to load a round into the chamber, depress the decocking lever, lowering the hammer, holster and go.  The long travel and high weight of the trigger pull is the 'safety'.  After the first shot is fired, the remaining shots will be fired from single action (the hammer is already cocked from the reciprocation of the slide), and the resulting trigger pull should be between 4 and 5lbs.  ALWAYS decock with the lever, DO NOT pull the trigger and thumb down the hammer, pulling the trigger disables the internal passive firing pin block.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I know this is really a dumb question, but ya please just answer. I'm looking to get a sig 229 for my first pistol and was looking over images of the gun online. I'm not sure where the safety is.  Its the lever right above the grip correct?

Let me know if I've got it right
Thanks

the guys above have stated it perfectly, I only have to add something they didnt. Congratulations on choosing a sig 229 is is a great first last and only ever needed pistol and will serve you well. weather you choose a 229 229R 229 Equinox or bitone. you should be very happy. lastly dont go cheap on a holster of you choose to carry it concealled (if avalible in your state) Peace!!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:55:05 PM EDT
[#5]
true about the safty. i have carried my P220 for about 2 years NO PROBLEMS the only bad thing about my P220ST is that ITS HEAVY AS F#$%, all stainless and a clip full of 235g HT is a little load............
you will enjoy it.
like getnlwr said dont go cheap on a holdster,
i have a fobus roto, and a bianchi that i rotate on
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#6]
.....but some Sigs do have safetys
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:52:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Liar.  Thats an HK in Sigs clothing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top