Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/10/2005 10:03:52 AM EDT
I just got a new custom made leather holster for my CCW and it's a really tight fit. So tight that I have trouble drawing the weapon. What is the best way to 'break in' the holster?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:30:59 AM EDT
I've always wrapped a plastic bag around my pistols then shoved it in the holster as far as I could and left it over night. On some holsters that are super tight it pays to do this a couple of times or more.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:38:26 PM EDT
You can do the plastic wrap thing. You can also sit and holster/unholster the EMPTY weapon while you watch tv or something. I've always done that and its worked for me. After a couple of hundred times it should be pretty smooth. Galco also makes a holster "lube" that you spray inside that makes for a smoother presentation but doesn't cause the holster to stretch.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:32:01 PM EDT
Wear it around the house for a couple of days and draw from it and put it back. In a couple of days you are in good shape.

Check the holster tension every week so you don't have a problem.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:27:30 PM EDT
soak the leather in warm water for 15 minutes then as it is drying holster and unholster the weapon(be sure to soak it in oil thoroughly and clean it afterwards)
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:13:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2005 9:16:16 AM EDT by AJohnston]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:24:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AJohnston:

I suppose it would be okay to do that to an over oiled and under molder holster, such as those from Galco or the like

I know you did'nt just say that.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:01:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
I've always wrapped a plastic bag around my pistols then shoved it in the holster as far as I could and left it over night. On some holsters that are super tight it pays to do this a couple of times or more.

+1 for overnight, or even a couple of days. Use as thin a plastic bag as you can find, or you may risk over stretching the holster. I've tried the holster/unholster method before, but the bag seems to work best. Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:58:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2005 3:04:23 PM EDT by AJohnston]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:34:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By newbe:

I suppose it would be okay to do that to an over oiled and under molder holster, such as those from Galco or the like, but this is one of the last things I would do to a nice holster.

I know you did'nt just say that.

Think a bit tongue in cheek... my point was to do that to a nice holster would be a crime.

Oops.
Top Top