Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/8/2006 5:43:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2006 5:51:21 PM EDT by CrotalusCo]
I am looking for the best quality low cost ammo for range use that i can save the brass for possible future reloading.

wwb?
american eagle?
pmc?
fiocchi?
other?

b­asicly I am looking for the one least likely to cause gun trouble but yet has good brass. I do not reload now so im clueless but im thinking i should start saving brass for future possibility.

PS I am looking at .40s&w

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:22:48 AM EDT
i have been told that wwb does not have good brass for reloading as the extractor groove and rim dimensions are not consistent.

as i don't reload i can't say what is best but i can say that i really like blazer brass. it seems to be good quality stuff as far as 9mm goes. i would suspect the .40sw variety would be good too.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:35:22 AM EDT
Winchester white box has always been good reloading brass in my book.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:17:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mr_wilson:

Mike

+1

Nary a problem with mine.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:44:42 AM EDT

I reload 45ACP. I've reloaded everything on your list plus Speer and something with the headstamp "TZZ". Its all worked good but the "TZZ". I'd say about 2% of the "TZZ" stuff has flashholes off center or the case splits on the second reload. I like Speer or Winchester brass with the large flashhole the best. No deburring necessary.

Shok
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:56:00 AM EDT
Blazer brass works nice in both .40 and .45ACP. Sometimes you'll get "Speer" marked brass and sometimes "CCI". In any case, they use nice clean powder. My Sig 220 loves Blazer brass. It's very accurate, almost as good as my handloads through that pistol. .40 runs great through my XD40, never had a problem with it. Good brass for reloading too. Believe it or not, Wolf works fine for me too, especially through the Sig. It's just a lot more dirty. MJD
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:59:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mr_wilson:

Mike

WWB Shoots well too!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:52:00 AM EDT
Couldn't tell you about the reloading side of it, but Georgia Arms had good "Canned Heat" range ammo. They offer a JHP round in several calibers as well.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:59:50 PM EDT
Best quality low cost ammo . Humph , me too .

it does exhist depending on your idea of " low cost "

I really like Federal American Eagle in just about al pistol calibers .
I also use PMC and some WWB . even some UMC in a pinch .
AM eagle is my favorite .

I believe that TZZ is the head stamp for IMI ammo . Isralie arms .
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:08:15 PM EDT
well low cost depends

today at walmart i picked up some 9mm WWB 100count for 11.83

thats an amazing price as i also got some WWB .40 that cost 9.87 per 50 which is by no means bad my max ill pay on handgun ammo for the range is $10 box 50 and really only like to pay that in a pinch "im going shooting now and dont want to drive around"

Carry ammo is another story i pay quite a bit more for that

I refuse to put wolf or blazer in my guns i dont care how cheap it gets

basicly i was looking for info like

american eagle uses dirty powder and once shot brass etc etc etc
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:36:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CrotalusCo:
I refuse to put wolf or blazer in my guns i dont care how cheap it gets

i don't use wolf either. or bear or whatever that junk is called. but i don't see the problem you have with blazer brass. personally i have found it to be cleaner than wwb and the same price. but i can understand why some people don't like blazer--they aren't comfortable with the aluminum case. i think it is a lot better to use than anything coming out of russia.

oh also take a look at the prices on sellier & bellot.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:48:33 PM EDT
hmm why i dont like blazer

let me say ive never tried their brass.

I have however shot a couple boxes of the alum. These were shot from my second gen glock. Not sure if you know but the glock ejector dings the casings. Assuming caused by ejector but some of the alum casings expelled had fractures in the casing. I am not an expert and if the fracture was caused by the extractor, no prob but it still freaked me out a little which was enough to put fear into me on the brand
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:52:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2006 3:54:31 PM EDT by FA-Gunner]
I've shot all four of the ones you have listed, not a problem with any of them. I'd say PMC was the cleanest and the most accurate out of my Kimber 45 but none of them would be considered dirty or inaccurate. They all have reloaded without any problems for me. Mainly shot 45 with some 9mm. Try a couple of boxes of each, figure out which one works the best with your gun and then buy a bunch of it. Should be able to pick all of these up for 18-22 cents/round for 45 and 12-16 cents/round for 9mm, delivered.

Also you have MFS that you can get in 45, which is also a good buy, clean, pretty accurate and reloadable.

Like you, I buy the FMJs for plinking, blasting and reload the brass.

That is a great deal on the WWB, go get more now, 12 cents/round cant be beat.

Never shot .40 but had a 10mm and the PMC was great in that too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:19:51 PM EDT
The cheapest quality ammo I have found is Sellior and Belliot even after one reload the brass seems pretty strong.
Top Top