Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2006 2:02:49 PM EDT
Im wondering what is the best load now available for a 45 out of a full size 1911?
Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Any brand huh?  I know some do better than others as far as expansion.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I like my 230gr @ 950 out of my springer GI
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#5]
How about for the CCO set up (Commander slide and officers grip).
Would you still stick with the 230 or?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Wiinchester Ranger RA45T
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#7]
The one that works in your gun!
Seriously though, I like 230 grain name brand hollowpoints.  I like the biggest bullet available.  

Currently I'm running Winchester white box hollowpoints, although I'm probably the only one on the board.  These run in all my 1911's so it has been convenient to stick with them.  I plan on switching to something better, just haven't gotten around to testing anything else.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm currently trying out Federal HST's 230 gr offering as they are much easier to get a hold of than my usual Rangers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm currently trying out Federal HST's 230 gr offering as they are much easier to get a hold of than my usual Rangers.

Where are you finding .45ACP HST's?  I've been trying to dig some of those up and can't get my hands on any.  Bought 500 9mm awhile back, but nobody has 45's.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where are you finding .45ACP HST's?  I've been trying to dig some of those up and can't get my hands on any.  Bought 500 9mm awhile back, but nobody has 45's.

Gunshop in Greenwood, IN called Elmore's.  He turned me on to them since he didn't have access to Ranger.  So far, he's had them everytime I've needed them.  I've got about 5 boxes so far in the last couple months.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That was a little gem of glittering logic that will get over looked in this thread for the most part as this thread spins down into another mindless discussion of "what works best" at getting the most unpredictable organism on earth to "stop."
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#12]
For match ie ipsc, etc I really like the 185 Berry bullets in the 230 grain profile loaded with 5.2 grains of Clays. Recoil is mild
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The one that works in your gun!hr

That was a little gem of glittering logic that will get over looked in this thread for the most part as this thread spins down into another mindless discussion of "what works best" at getting the most unpredictable organism on earth to "stop."

I like the idea of hardball.  It works better and overpenetration is not the issue that it is made out to be.  JHP's go through walls just as well as hardball anyway.  And they are cheaper, so you can buy lots more.  Last time I bought ammo I bought a couple months worth and spent more on the bill than I did on my last cutom 1911, and it was mostly WWB and factory reloads.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:12:48 PM EDT
[#14]
currently using TAP 230gr +P and BH redbox in same weight
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:27:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:11:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The one that works in your gun!hat
I hope Lumpy's point is not over looked.  Cuts through the BS to the bottom line.  JD

I like the idea of hardball.  It works better and overpenetration is not the issue that it is made out to be.  JHP's go through walls just as well as hardball anyway.  And they are cheaper, so you can buy lots more.  Last time I bought ammo I bought a couple months worth and spent more on the bill than I did on my last cutom 1911, and it was mostly WWB and factory reloads.

I have never felt uneasy carrying hardball.  IMHO if you can't get it done with HB you got a bigger problem on your hands.  I'd much rather have a reliable pistol/load and know how to shoot that worry about the latest and greatest marketing hype.  JD
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was a little gem of glittering logic that will get over looked in this thread for the most part as this thread spins down into another mindless discussion of "what works best" at getting the most unpredictable organism on earth to "stop".

I hope Lumpy's point is not over looked.  Cuts through the BS to the bottom line.  JD

I have never felt uneasy carrying hardball.  IMHO if you can't get it done with HB you got a bigger problem on your hands.  I'd much rather have a reliable pistol/load and know how to shoot that worry about the latest and greatest marketing hype.  JD

Quick anecdote that I've posted before:
I was in a local funshop having some work done on an original Series 70 Colt 1911 about 20 or so years ago. As a novice to the .45ACP I asked an "old timer" in the shop what the best round was. I'll never forget his reply: "I've always found hardball to the head to be effective"
A well placed hit with "crappy" ammo works a whole lot better than a miss with the best HP.
Practice, practice, practice, the ability to hit where you aim is way more important than the brand you're using, especially with .45ACP. If confronted with no other option I'd rather be able to put 2 FMJs to the head than the best available HPs anywhere else.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:26:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Just a quick reply to the suggested load of  5.2 grains of clays with a 230 gr. bullet. DO NOT load that. It is Way over the max load published in the Hodgdon manual. Always check your loads with a reputable manual.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any brand huh?  I know some do better than others as far as expansion.

ohhhhhhhhhhhh......... Winchester Ranger and Speer Gold dot are the top two.

+1

i like the Rangers better--100% feeding in all of my 1911s so far--had a few problems w/ certain mags w/ the Speer

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I use the Winchester SXTs. The bullet is an identical design to the vaunted "Black Talon"
minus the talons. As the talons were marketing fluff anyway, I think SXT is a fine bullet.
And loads reliably in my 1911

Barrel twist on a 45 typically is 1 in 16", so that means the bullet makes one revolution every 16", so being that your average human is typically around 16" thick, the bullet barely makes one revolution, this is assuming that it does not slow down.

I just like to spread this logic, as the Black Talon myth just kills me....

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Listen to this man. He knows a lot about hardballs penetration characteristics.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#23]
230gr hydro shok works well in both my RIA and the girlfriends springer champion.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I, too,  hate it when someone pisses in my Wheaties.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#26]
dont know about best load, but im happy with 230gr win fmj and titegroup.  1" ragged hole at 25ft in my hk tactical, 2" group in a sa micro.  no feeding or extraction issues.  i have used the copper plated rainiers for steel knockdown targets, to decrease chance of ricochet.  as far as shooting human targets, as long as you can hit where you want, and are confident in its destructive capabilities, shoot what you like.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Why re-invent the wheel.   The Army uses hardball for nearly 100 years and it worked just fine.  
Thats a 230 grn fmj bullet using 5 gr of SR7970 at 855 fps.  (TM 43-0001-27).  I think I would stick to this round, its been working a long time.  The pistol will last forever and it feeds good.

kraigWY
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top