Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 11:24:06 AM EDT
I have a friend that wants to get a Beretta handgun but I'm wondering if there are better quality handguns.

Like what are the top 5 quality handgun makers just for plinking?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#1]
for plinkng? any particular caliber--like is this .22lr restricted?

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Ah forgot to mention that, he only wants a 9mm
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#3]
H&K P7M8
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Take your Pick:

CZs are my personal favorite however
Sig
HK
Beretta
Ruger
Springfield
Glock
Babey Eagle ect.

They all make good pistols but how much you like each one is completely personal. There is no one pistol that far exceeds evey other one except for the one YOU spent your money on and like it so it must be the best. I would recomend the Beretta, Sig, CZ. XD, or Glock.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Have him try out different models at a Gun range most have several for rent.

Also you have to look at price, does he want to spend a lot or not a lot...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
My order would be

HK "but i cant afford"
Sig
Glock
Beretta
CZ

Hmm notice that none of these are american companies pityfull isnt it

My personal Fav GUN is my glock 19 but you asked about quality of makers and that is my opinion. I left 1911s out of this thought process due to "cost for plinking" That would be a completly different list
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#7]
For plinking 9mm only???

CZ or Glock
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]

As far as plinking, get something relatively cheap.  Check local gunstores for used CZs, Rugers, etc.  Spending $700 on an HK USP would be silly if it isn't going to be used for defense, competition, etc.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have a friend that wants to get a Beretta handgun but I'm wondering if there are better quality handguns.

Like what are the top 5 quality handgun makers just for plinking?

Ruger
Browning
Colt
S&W
Korth
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:04:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Alright thanks for the help, I will inform him about the information.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#11]
9mms:
HK
SIG
Beretta
Glock
BHP
CZ
ruger

thats the order of qulaity i would rate em

h/w, for a 9mm, i would only opt for a glock or a SIG
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Walther
Sig
HK
CZ
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#13]
My dad just bought a CZ 7 5B 9mm.  He wanted something for plinking, and something to carry on him in the woods when hunting.  I told him to get a CZ since I've never heard anything but good things about them.

Well he finally ordered one and all I can say is WOW!!.....it's once of the nicest guns I've shot.  And the finish on the thing is perfect.  The quality of the entire gun is top notch.  I think he got it for under $400 online.  Buy one, you will not be sorry.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#14]
In 9mm if you're only going to buy new my list would be in order of preference:

CZ
SigSauer
Glock
Springfield

If you're going to consider used 9mm's then I would rank as follows:

SigSauer
CZ
Glock
Beretta

CZ's are a GREAT value for the money.  I've had three roll through my safe over the years.  While all are no longer there, the reason is that I got trade offers on them that were equal to or exceeded what I paid for them.  They're accurate, reliable (the only one I ever had choke was on CCI aluminum case ammo), they point great and the triggers break in well.  Also I REALLY enjoyed the fact that you could get a bunch of different mags for them as there are lots of CZ knock offs.  This made finding high caps easy during the dark days of the Klinton Ban, but now you can get new high caps for just over $25.  

Also check around as CZ was blowing out CZ85's a while back that had them at the local shop for $369 for a CZ85B with 2 16rd mags and all the CZ extras which is a downright awesome deal.  

After the CZ I'd look for a used SigSauer.  One store by me has used 226's for $399 at the moment and I picked up a used 229 with 5 13rd mags for $467 a few weeks back.  Sigs are excellent firearms and you can't go wrong with them.  The only reason I'd put a CZ over a sig is that the new prices on CZ's are much lower than sigs and sometimes the used sig market can vary widely.  If you're friend is just looking for a plinker 9mm then getting the best possible firearm for the lowest price is probably his motivating factor and I think the CZ edges the Sig out in that department until you hit the used market.  

Again, thats my two cents, take it for what you want, but with a CZ or Sig your friend won't go wrong.  They're both excellent firearms that will provide YEARS of service.  Let us know what he gets...

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#15]
If he wants a Berretta let him get one;there's nothing wrong with them
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If he wants a Berretta let him get one;there's nothing wrong with them

Yea some reason he really likes berettas so I'm thinking he will get one of them but I'm starting to get the itch to buy a handgun
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:35:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Sig 226 or 229.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Tough to limit it to five.

Glock
Beretta
SIG
HK
SA in either the XD or 1911 format
CZ
S&W
BHP
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#19]
G19.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Best handgun=What he feels comfortable shooting.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Best handgun=What he feels comfortable shooting.

+1

All the manfacturers listed in this thread produce pretty damn nice guns.

The Beretta is a great firearm though, I have one with thousands of rounds through it without one stinkin failure to do anything.  It runs like champ.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Just make sure your friend fondles a bunch of guns in the shops.  Even if he likes something, not having handled it means that the something that he likes doesn't fit his hand well.  When I was looking for a 9mm for plinking/defense, i had Glock close to the top of my list.  Then I checked one out, and it was not comfortable to hold for me.  I eventually settled on a Springfield XD.It fit's my hand well, the trigger had broken in nicely and it's quite accurate and reliable.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Glock
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#24]
If he is interested in beretta, have him look at the PX4. I just picked up one myself and it is a very nice gun. I was never fond of the 9* series from beretta. The PX4 in 9mm holds 17/20 rds and later when you want the cx4 the mags will work in both guns. But in end he should get what feels best in his hand and points well
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#25]
If he really wants a Beretta why not get one?  My brother just got one because he has always wanted a Beretta 92f, even if it is just for plinking.  I got a CPO Sig P226 for $475 that looks new.  Tell him he can't go wrong as long as he gets what he wants.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#26]
The M9 is a great pistol, and if the grip seems too big there is a vertec* model with the slim grip, which I need to buy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I prefer Glock handguns. They are extremely reliable , easy to maintain , cheap mags are available and they will last forever. I once had a stainless steel Beretta 92 FS and the darn thing started rusting in just 2 weeks. I also love Glocks because every trigger pull is the same....... No SA/DA to learn. I would rather have a good used Glock with 10,000 rounds through it than a new Beretta or any other handgun.
A G19 would be a great one.for a beginner. Not too small but still concealable if needed.  Good Luck....Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top