Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2012 10:45:10 AM EDT
Is the 220 compact the smallest sig made in 45?  Got into a discussion regarding the best 45 cal sig for carry.  Any help is appreciated.  Also, whats a good CCW holster for one of these?
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 3:03:35 AM EDT
[#1]
the P245 preceded the P220 Compact but they are very nearly the same...the P245 will have wider spaced grasping grooves on the slide and be German made with a stamped steel folded and pinned to the breach block slide while the P220 Compact is milled stainless steel...

Bill
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Also the P245 does not have the Beavertail like the new 220 compact.
I think the lack of it would be better for CC.
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#3]
The P220 Carry utilizes the same slide and barrel as the Compact but it has a full size frame which helps with your grip and holds full size 8 round magazines rather than 6.

Link Posted: 5/17/2012 2:56:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Also the P245 does not have the Beavertail like the new 220 compact.
I think the lack of it would be better for CC.

not all P220 Compacts have the beavertail and the one I had was not a real hinderance to concealed carry but this is a good point CROWDLG...also, if you feel you need more ammo and have a P245/P220 Compact you can add the full sized 8 round (or 7 rounders) magazines and the plastic sleeve...the compromise in concealed carry gets you two more rounds...X-Grip makes 'em for SiG...

Bill
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 8:27:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I am brand new to sig. So you just get regular 220 8 round mags and put x grip extensions on them? Anyone know they best place to buy mags? Are the 245 sleeves the same? Will the mag seat and locate ok without the sleeve?
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am brand new to sig. So you just get regular 220 8 round mags and put x grip extensions on them? Anyone know they best place to buy mags? Are the 245 sleeves the same? Will the mag seat and locate ok without the sleeve?

Get mags from Topgunsupply.com
The sleeve for the P245 and 220 compact are the same.
Topgun also sells them.
8 and 10rd mags will both work in the P245/220 compact and can be used without the sleeve.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 5:35:49 AM EDT
[#7]
yup...just don't slam them into the mag well and you'll be good to go...

Bill
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 5:56:00 AM EDT
[#8]
If I were going to buy a single stack .45 specifically for carry, I'd have to seriously think about a Sig 1911 RCS or C3.

I'm a HUGE fan of the p-series, but they're not really ideal for carry (IMO).  I like a gun with a really thin profile for carry.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't like the 3 and 4in 1911.
They have never proved as reliable as the P245 to me.
I have shot a few and not one of them ran 100% like the 245 did.

Plus I like the lack of safety and double strike capability of the DA/SA trigger.
I would take the slight width increase to have those features.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't like the 3 and 4in 1911.
They have never proved as reliable as the P245 to me.
I have shot a few and not one of them ran 100% like the 245 did.

Plus I like the lack of safety and double strike capability of the DA/SA trigger.
I would take the slight width increase to have those features.

I didn't even think about reliability...good point.  I have a Sig Carry Scorpion (4.25" 1911) that runs like a top...but then again, carry guns tend to get dry (tough to remember to oil a gun when you haven't just cleaned it).

And I totally hear ya on the DA/SA trigger without a safety....that's what I'm most comfortable with too.  I have the 229 and I really like it, but I just can't stand packing a gun that thick...I have tried, but I always get tired of the bulk and end up grabbing something else (Glock 19).  I had a CZ-75 P-07 duty that had those features and a double stack mag (9mm), but I got tired of the damned beavertail digging into my skin.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#11]
My CCW is the Sig P245 for the reasons described above. It is a great pistol, easy to conceal and all the attributes of a 45 caliber to deter any hostile situation. No downside in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm pretty happy with my P220R compact. It's just slightly bigger than a G26 and I can carry a light. With a Kaluban Cloak holster and a vest it conceals well. Atleast on me. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#13]
i carry a full size p220 everytime i leave the house. im 6 foot 215 or so. i use an uncle mikes and iwb on my right side of belt buckle right under the ol" gut if i were a sports coat it goes to the 5 oclock... none of this is to say i wouldnt chop off some of my toes to have a compact or carry

anyone need any spare toes?
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
yup...just don't slam them into the mag well and you'll be good to go...

Bill

Worse is slamming in the spare 6-rounder.  Blood blister for sure.  

Skip the X-grip.  I carry a P220 Compact SAO with a 6-rounder in the gun, one in the chamber, and an 8-round spare.  The X-grip adds a lot of bulk to the bottom of the 8-round magazine and makes it print like crazy under a shirt and you don't really need it.  I bought them and took them off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top