Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 10:07:50 PM EDT
I run 4-5 miles three times a week very late at night, often at 1am or 2am.  I don't feel that safe while i'm running and I occasionally pass some undesireable characters to say the least while on my runs.  

I don't want some cheap POS handgun though just because it's very light, I definitely need something small but also something that is nice and of quality and that I would want to carry anytime, just not specifically for when i'm running, I was thinking a PPK/S.

What is the best gun for carrying while on long runs and what is the best way to carry the weapon so I can still run effectively while keeping it concealed?  I'm in Florida and always run in a regular t-shirt and athletic shorts.  

I won't be old enough for a CWP for a few more months, but it's never too early to start thinking about this.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, other than changing your running route, I would suggest a G26, G27, or something of that variety.  Small, light, good quality, and they'll go bang when you need them to.

Springer
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:16:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Well, other than changing your running route, I would suggest a G26, G27, or something of that variety.  Small, light, good quality, and they'll go bang when you need them to.

Springer

+1
eats sweat too

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I've run several times with a Keltec 3AT with pocket clip installed... It's not near the quality or power of  the Glock but it is considerably smaller and lighter... Look for the hard chrome upper to help with the moisture issue but ultimatlely you will probably have to give whatever you choose a good wipe down when you get home.

Another good option I've used is a S&W J-frame .38 in scandium... super light and higher quality than the Keltec.. IMO

Remember a good pocket knife with a clip on it is better than a mean look and a harsh word...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#4]
How about a Seacamp or a Makarov in one of them front of the crotch/belly band holsters?

Just my 2 cents - YMMV

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How about a Seacamp or a Makarov in one of them front of the crotch/belly band holsters?

Just my 2 cents - YMMV

Later,

Badredfish

Nice choice!
Also Kahr makes the smallest 9mm and .40 cal guns on Earth and they are extreemly high quality.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#6]
How bout a Glock 36? Slim, small,  light and 6+1 of .45 ACP
That would be my choice for middle of the night runs - if I could get
my fat ass off the couch
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:48:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Any pistol over 20 ounces will "flop" around on you when you run.  Someday you will leave it at home.  

If you like the PPK then check out the Sig 232 with the two tone finish.  The slide will be stainless and the frame aluminum.  That should keep the rust bunnies at bay for a while.  I have a .380 Sig 232, and it is a quality rig.  The .380 cartridge is pretty weenie, though.  I prefer the trigger and sights on the Sig to the Walther.

A small 9mm is an option.  Many people have had good luck with Kahrs, but I have not.  There is a rumor about Keltec making a small 9mm and introducing it at the SHOT show, but I don't know if that rumor is just smoke or not.

A .38 special J frame is also a consideration.  The .357 Magnum versions sound great- and they are-in theory.  I found the sensation of firing a scandium .357 J Frame(loaded with magnums) to be similar to being smacked in the hand by an iron pipe.  Five times.  Then reload...  

A fag bag is probably the best way to carry concealed while you are exercising.  I hate the things, but they work.  Choose carefully, as they are all a pain in the ass- literally.  The bag will move on you and cause heat rash, so you may have to do some customization with non-chafing materials.

A good can of pepper mace might be a good addition.  Dogs will definately ruin your day and it is nice to have options.

Speaking of options, have you considered hanging out on your couch with your AR-15 on your lap, speed eating pork rinds and watching the Shopping Channel?   How the hell you expect to become a full fledged internet commando if you are going to EXERCISE?  Yeesh.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Kel-tec P32 or P3AT in a belly band.  Or airweight 5 shot J frame with 38+p's.

Sweat will be an issue with either.  Clean, lubricate, and rotate ammo often.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Kel-tec P32 or P3AT in a belly band.  Or airweight 5 shot J frame with 38+p's.

Sweat will be an issue with either.  Clean, lubricate, and rotate ammo often.

+1 on that Kel-Tec P3-AT, I have one and it fits small in my pocket, I work with it in there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#10]
642 or similar lightweight revolver.  My G26 is barely too big and heavy for running
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well, other than changing your running route,
Springer

lollers :P
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Be proud and run with a chromed Desert Eagle in each hand.

I jest.  I'd stick with a slim & light profile, like a Glock 26 or 36.  Something that'll hold up to sweat and ass crack.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Be proud and run with a chromed Desert Eagle in each hand.

I jest.  I'd stick with a slim & light profile, like a Glock 26 or 36.  Something that'll hold up to sweat and ass crack.

If you live in Miami couldn't you just run with an Uzi in each hand (grand theft auto style)?

Just kidding.  Until you get a CCP, which I'd think the G26 or Kel-Tech would be good, consider getting a good knife.  I'd suggest the Kershaw Blackout.  ~$45 on Ebay, and has speed assist opening --> very cool and scares would-be attackers.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#14]
SiG P239 9mm, .40S&W, or .357SiG in a SmartCarry Holster
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#15]
What do you think of this "jogging holster"?

www.action-direct.com/257.htm
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#16]
The other thing about the "fag-bag" is that it stays dry. Running, in Florida (even at night), with a gun strapped to your waist and it will get salty and nasty. Not to mention the holster it goes in.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What do you think of this "jogging holster"?

www.action-direct.com/257.htm

I think the straps would be uncomfortable.
I had tee shirts I wouldn't wair running because they would rub, I imagine straps would be worse.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I use a 642ti .38 in a fag bag. Never know its there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#19]
S&W 642 in a fag bag, along with a speed strip of extra ammo, surefire 6 volt light, and a cell phone.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I carry my Kahr CW9 in an IWB holster with a nylon rigger belt to hold it on.  I've seen that chest harness holster before and am interested in it.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I run with a 380 Keltec all metal NP3'ed by Robar.No worries about sweat and rust...no worries about lubing it either. It runs on Speer Gold Dot hollow points
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

A .38 special J frame is also a consideration.  The .357 Magnum versions sound great- and they are-in theory.  I found the sensation of firing a scandium .357 J Frame(loaded with magnums) to be similar to being smacked in the hand by an iron pipe.  Five times.  Then reload...  

This is what I choose, but yer right, the recoil is tremendous!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#24]
The smith scandium J-frame sounds pretty ideal to me.  It is so light that it won't flop up and down as much and make you really notice it with each step. Plus, you can stoke it with .38 special or .357 magnums.  It is very lightweight, and will go bang when you pull the trigger, so a lightweight and reliable package in a decent caliber(s).  It also makes a good gun to carry around at other times, or even as a backup to a larger gun if you wish.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Sig 225, check out this thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=14&t=23703  it may be a little larger then you want but they are light, accurate and ultra reliable
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#27]
J-frame!!

You can use shooting gloves for practice and not complain about the recoil.  If you ever have to use it, you'll never even remember feeling the recoil.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Rats, I thought you meant a running target...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top