Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2005 6:03:27 PM EDT
I wanted to thank everyone for their fine responces regarding my other thread in the forum as to suggestions for the best pocket gun.

I went to the gun show this weekend and wanted to take a look at the Kal-Tek and Kahr Arms you all seemed to suggest. A also noted that they were featured in this month's NRA magazine 'The Rifleman' - not that it means much of anything. Ever seem to notice how that magazine come round just before the gun shows?

Anyway, I took a look at both pistols. As I thought, they did not have the all chrome or SS model of either at the show - they never have what you want when you want it and have the cash. But then something shiny caught my eye. (please don't call me a pimp)...

It is a Walther's PPKs - sold by Smith & Wesson. I like to support American Gun manufacturers, so I figured that this was pretty close.

I really like the shiny stuff. I started talking to another gentlemen next to me and he was looking at the same pistol. Told me he had one of them and the found it to be extremely reliable and accurate. Price was not horrible, so I do what I normally regert and impulse bought, not having done any research or knowing if the deal was decent or a rip off. Did not see any others at the show and figured that if I did not get it I probably would regret it.

Even though it is a little gauwdy, I have decided to make it a shooter rather than a safe queen.

I need a 12 step program to cure me of the gun showitise.

I see now on the Wahlter section of this forum that there are some reliability problem with this gun, so I plan on putting thru a couple hundred rounds before I pass judgment. I also throughly lubed the sucker up - it came bone dry. I just don't understand how / why S&W would do that - but they do.

A range report will follow next weekend.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#1]
WOW. that is a nice looking little pistol. Congrats.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#3]
  Springfield can out with a new subcompact 1911 in .45 GAP it looks really nice, weighs 23oz, and shot good i think it would make a good pocket gun that has more power then Kel-Tek and the Kahr.

just my .02
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Sweet looking pistol.

When I carry .380, it is with the 95 grain Cor-Bons.   They'll penetrate, but kind of heavy on the muzzle flash.   The low recoil Federal Hydra shocks are also very good and change the recoil to a push rather than slap.  

IMO, no .45 is ever going to come close to the conceal carry friendliness of a .380.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

IMO, no .45 is ever going to come close to the conceal carry friendliness of a .380.  

No, but most 9mm handguns will.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#6]
If you don't like the walther but like that platform check out the Bersa which is copy of this pistol. From personal experience and many other people I have never heard a bad review on the Bersa. I have never had any sort of problem after over 400 rounds. They can usually be had between $200-$250. I do like those grips on the walther. Good luck with it. Here is a pic of mine :

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but most 9mm handguns will.

The trade off is that you can't shoot a micro 9mm like you can a Walther PPK, Sig 232, or Bersa Thunder.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Very nice gun. I'm looking to get a PPK myself as soon as my CCW permit gets here. My brother had one and it was an excellent gun. Very reliable and accurate. Nice one-handed shooter too.

The Bersa is another nice one. I bought one for my wife recently. She loves it and it has never malfunctioned. Great gun for the money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top