Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 12:59:57 PM EDT
I am looking at purchasing a 9mm handgun and would like to know what you think would be the best for me to choose since there are so many out there.  I am not the best handgun shooter there ever was and I do not need a $2,000 gun for my range time.  I am however looking for something that is good quality and a good reputation. It would also be nice if it had a rail for a light.

Thank you for your input!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#1]
My first choice would be a Sig Sauer P226.
My second choice would be a Glock 17.
Third choice would be a CZ-75b.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#2]
CZ P-01
Sig 226
Glock 17/19

Any will will do the job just fine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My first choice would be a Sig Sauer P226.
My second choice would be a Glock 17.
Third choice would be a CZ-75b.

I'd like to add the XD9 to that list.

But the best pistol is one that 'FITS' YOUR hand. Different people have different shaped hands. Consequently, for me the best one would be either the Sig P226 or XD9 due to the grip angle; while there is an entire horde of fanatics that say that Glocks are the only pistol worth having on the planet. Glocks are great guns but the grip angle is all wrong for me.

Best advice is to goto a local gun shop, locate a spot on the wall, close your eyes, and raise the pistol up to a natural position that you feel is pointing at the spot. Now open your eyes and note how far off you are. Do this with several types and see the comparison. Now, goto the range that rents pistols and try that brand out. How does it feel in the hand?

That is the BEST 9mm for you.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 on looking at the XD. Everyone that has ever tried it, has done well within a 20 rounds or so.  It sounds like you may be new to shooting or at least handguns, Springfield has a lifetime warr. So if anything should go wrong you can ship it to them and have them fix it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Glock 19 that I absolutely LOVE!  One of the best guns I've ever purchased.  It fits my hand so well, is lightweight, hi-cap, really rugged, and incredibly accurate.  I *almost* love it more than my fancy 1911s that cost me 5 times as much.... seriously -- it's that great of a pistol (for me anyway).
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#6]
The 9mm Luger round seems to be a pretty popular choice for many people looking at a centerfire pistol range gun. Ammo is cheap and they are light kicking so you can easily do double taps and so forth. I don't think it is something that would be good for home defense, but heck thats an arguement thats been covered in the past.

As far as guns in 9mm I have fired a great deal of weapons in the caliber, from renting them, personal collection and other people letting me try them out. Here is what I have fired;

S&W Sigma
SIG P226
Beretta 92FS
XD 4'' Service Model
1915 WWI Service Luger
1917 Artillery Luger with and without stock
Glock 17
HK USP Compact 9x19
Ruger KP 89
Taurus PT-99
SIG P229

Of all those MY favorite would have to be the Luger. It is a really, really comfortable pistol to shoot. With the Luger I can close my eyes and come right down on the target. The feel of the gun is really awsome and allows for me to shoot some really surprising groups. For example, I freqeuntly shoot a .40 S&W HK USP and get about 8-10 inch groups at 25 feet. With the Luger it closes down to about 2 inches. The trigger has no slack to it at all and the grip lets you get right back on target really quick. The only drawback to the Luger is that it doesn't carry alot of rounds, which doesn't both me because I only load 5 rounds at a time. The other drawback is that I do not think that you can by "new" ones, only older ones used in previous wars. Shooter copies can be found for as low as $700 while collector pieces can easily exceed $2500. I can nearly guarantee that you would get some looks if you took a Luger to a range to shoot.

My other favourite gun is the HK USP. I have only fired the 9mm in the Compact version, but as I said before I currently have a .40 S&W version. I like the way the gun feels in my hand and it really has a secure grip. It has both a saftey and a decocker lever so that you can lower the hammer and carry the gun cocked and safley locked back, something you cannot do with a SIG or Glock, or even a Beretta. One drawback is that standard rails are not used so you would have to buy an accessory made for the Universal Rail system, or get an adapter. Magazines are also REALLY expensive.

SIG also makes a great gun and it would be pretty neat to own a Navy Seal gun. I do not like the way the 226 feels in my hand, but if you can get over the funky grip they are dead nuts realiable. The Beretta 92FS is another great gun that has some grip problems for me. They have a giant backstrap that pushes the palm of your hand backwards away from the controls making them hard to reach even for people with really large hands. Luckily they fixed this and came out with the Vertec model with does away with this and has a rail and other features like a  beveled mag well. XDs are said to be great guns but I do not have much experience with them. I have a friend who has an XD Tactical in .40 S&W and the thing is a jam o matic, with numerous fail to feeds and go into battery. Don't let that stop you though because Springfield does have an excellent customer service that will gladly repair any problems that you may encounter. The 9mm versions of the XD that I have fired worked great, but the projection on the trigger (trigger saftey) feels kinda weird at first. They are also really cheap which is a great plus. Glocks are perhaps the most well known and well backed firearm on this site other than 1911's or the AR-15. The reason is that they work well and are priced at a competitive price point. Glocks have no saftey but as long as you practice proper trigger control at all times you won't have any problems.

What I would ultimatly suggest is going to a range that could allow you to test fire all of the guns you are looking at. Trust me when you pick them up and point them you can easily make your choice at that point. The ones that feel weird will be immediatly out of the question, while the ones that feel good you can test fire and see  how you shoot with them. If you really want my opinion though, I would pick up a Luger and see how you like it, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how the gun feels and fires.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am looking at purchasing a 9mm handgun and would like to know what you think would be the best for me to choose since there are so many out there.  I am not the best handgun shooter there ever was and I do not need a $2,000 gun for my range time.  I am however looking for something that is good quality and a good reputation. It would also be nice if it had a rail for a light.

I find it odd that a user named Death_006 responded with such a wealth of personal experience.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I find it odd that a user named Death_006 responded with such a wealth of personal experience.

GOOD catch!  
ETA
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and he's also from Ohio...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I noticed that as well.

Death_005 started this thread with 15 posts.

Death_006 responded with 375 posts.

Both are from Ohio.

I'm not attacking anyone or calling anyone names but it is odd.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I noticed that as well.

Both are from Ohio.

That was the first thing I noticed after you pointed out the usernames------For this person I can ONLY recommend an  Artillery Luger with a snail drum, of course. Since they already have experience with it
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I noticed that as well.

Both are from Ohio.

Let’s just call it a coincidence?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have a Glock 19 that I absolutely LOVE!  One of the best guns I've ever purchased.  It fits my hand so well, is lightweight, hi-cap, really rugged, and incredibly accurate.  I *almost* love it more than my fancy 1911s that cost me 5 times as much.... seriously -- it's that great of a pistol (for me anyway).

+1
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Now that's a BIG 10-4!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry Jordan didn't realize this was you I was replying too.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Is he talking to himself in third person now?

i recomend the 226, and certified pre owned 226 will be your best bang for the buck, just my opinoin.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

i recomend the 226, and certified pre owned 226 will be your best bang for the buck, just my opinoin.

Lol yeah. I hear many voices.

Honestly, Death_005 is a totally different account than mine. On my first post I didn't realize that I was replying to one of his topics. Check our IPs if you wish and you'll find they are different. You guys jump to conclusions waaaaaaaay to fast. We both are friends in the outside world and when he joined this forum he chose a name similar to mine since we play video games together and use the same name online. There is also a 007 out there, lol, but I don't think we will joining this forum.
005 already has a Springfield XD Tactical in OD Green .40 S&W, so I don't think he wants a similar gun in 9mm. I don't think customer service is something he cares about since he is unwilling to take adavantage of it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#19]
+1 for the XD9 service model
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow!  I'm surprised at how many feel the same way about their Glock 19s as I do.  I thought I was just crazy loving this pistol as much as I do and thinking that it's just as good (maybe at times better) than my expensive 1911s.  There's just something about it.  Cool, so I'm not crazy .  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol yeah. I hear many voices.

Honestly, Death_005 is a totally different account than mine. On my first post I didn't realize that I was replying to one of his topics. Check our IPs if you wish and you'll find they are different. You guys jump to conclusions waaaaaaaay to fast. We both are friends in the outside world and when he joined this forum he chose a name similar to mine since we play video games together and use the same name online. There is also a 007 out there, lol, but I don't think we will joining this forum.
005 already has a Springfield XD Tactical in OD Green .40 S&W, so I don't think he wants a similar gun in 9mm. I don't think customer service is something he cares about since he is unwilling to take adavantage of it.

Yea, well ok. But i'm still sticking with the luger/snail drum recommendation until we see proof

actually--a Glock 19 is the "in the hills" carry piece, and a Glock 26 is the "around the city" carry piece. ( Along with a Kel-tec 32 for when its REAL hot out)
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I would also like to try to sway you toward a Glock 19.  

The 19 is a smaller sized, powerful, accurate handgun with a vast array of mag options.  

Two 15 round mags come with the Glock 19.  You can also use Glock 17 (17 round mags) and the Glock 18 (31 round mag).  You can put a +2 round mag extension to any of those mags.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#23]
If you are going to shoot at targets at a range, all the above choices are great, even the original Luger.

But if you are going to carry it as a concealed carry weapon, I'd recommend a Glock 19 or Glock 17.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#24]
WOW!
No mention of the Taurus 24/7.
17 rd factory mag.,
mine has over 200 rds without the slightest snag,
perfect balance,
and the grip is to die for!Not to mention NRA's handgun of the year!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#25]
SIG P-228/P-226

Glock 17/19

more likely the G19
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#26]
The perfect handgun for you is the one that fits you best!
Now that you have heard some good guns named get to a dealer and feel them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Ruger P95- New model with the rail for lights, lasers, etc.  You'll love it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm curious if any reputable testing facility has compiled longevity of many of the popular pistols using +p or +p+ ammo.  One talks about 50,000 or 100,00 rounds, but that's usually a relativily mild 9mm.  What about a long term diet of hot loads (or, is it long term)?  Many pistols claim to be designed for it, but what does that mean?  Does it mean they won't blow up with hot loads?  But, how many (or few) can they handle without bending something?

I do know that my favorite pistol, the Browning Hi-Power takes normal 9, but can be damaged after not too many of the hot loads.  A shame, because I like it and would love to just concentrate on that model.  But, if I want to use hi performance 9, I may have to go to SIG, as much as I hate some "feel" aspects.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'm curious if any reputable testing facility has compiled longevity of many of the popular pistols using +p or +p+ ammo.  One talks about 50,000 or 100,00 rounds, but that's usually a relativily mild 9mm.  What about a long term diet of hot loads (or, is it long term)?  Many pistols claim to be designed for it, but what does that mean?  Does it mean they won't blow up with hot loads?  But, how many (or few) can they handle without bending something?

I do know that my favorite pistol, the Browning Hi-Power takes normal 9, but can be damaged after not too many of the hot loads.  A shame, because I like it and would love to just concentrate on that model.  But, if I want to use hi performance 9, I may have to go to SIG, as much as I hate some "feel" aspects.

I would say if your going to be feeding your gun a constant diet of hot 9mm loadings, or even +P, or perhaps +P+, choose the HK USP. THE USP was designed around the .40 S&W from the start, not some 9mm modified to take the .40 S&W round such as Glock, SIG, Beretta and so forth. And as we all know the .40 S&W round is much harder on a weapon that the messly 9mm Luger by comparsion. Doesn't mean it won't kill you well, it just means that in the regular loading it is a little more easier on the gun than a similar .40 S&W loading. The USP includes a recoil reduction system that drastically reduces wear and tear on the parts of the gun.

The SIG doesn't have that, the Beretta doesn't, and the Glock, well quite honestly we all know how well those hold up .

Jordan, I seriously would say the Luger. How about you come over and see how it feels in your hand? Perhaps we can also arrange a test fire?  I think you will really like the way it feels.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:18:24 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

CZ75B or P01 or SP01
Glock 17 or 19
Springfield XD Stainless
EAA Witness

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#31]
I like the Glock 19 too.  It is more compact, lighter and has higher capacity than the competition.  It is more concealable IWB than the 17, and has significantly higher capacity than the 26.  It has a 4" barrel so you get good velocities.  It is reliable, reasonably priced, easy to use, fast on follow-up shots, quick to get into action, and durable.  It may not have the crispest trigger and some people do not like the Glock grips, but with some practice the Glock can be accurate enough and fast.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Yet another vote for the Glock 19.  

I carry my G19 as much or more than my customized Colt CCO .45.  They are similar in size, but I simply shoot the G19 better.

I wish I had bought a G19 10+ years ago.  It took me a good number of years to get over my prejudice against Glocks in general.    
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Glock 19 for me!  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Glock 19 all the way, best 9mm ive ever had.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Lorcin
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Sig P266
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Lorcin

I agree. You never know in a survival situation when you will want to use your pistol as a FISHING WEIGHT or when you need a handgun to put in the intruders hand after you shoot him. LOL
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:42:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top