Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2006 9:48:02 AM EDT
I've got some of the Colt stamped mags and they're crap.  Lots of failures to feed and the base plate fell off one.  I need to get some more 7 rounders.  What should I get?

For 8-rounders I love the 47Ds, but right now I want some flush-fitting 7 rounders.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Factory Colt 7 rounders....

You sure yours are real Colts not fakes stamped with the pony.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I think I saw on the want ads someone (11b4v) was selling 8 GI contract ones for $55.

You could try those.  I've never had problems with the old GI contract mags.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I find it interesting that Colt is selling their gunsite 1911 (and maybe other premiums with Wilson mags). They do contract their crap out so QC may have been an issue in your case. Also, it is true that some have cashed in on the colt name. I have the officer mags (with colt & pony IIRC), and I replaced all of these mags with Wilson spring/follower kits. The Colts never acted up with the kit (don't recalling them acting up prior to the kit ) and the mag bodies seem pretty solid.

Of the 2  Shooting Stars I have one is out of spec & the slide won't lock after the last round.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Get Wilson 7 round mags... I wouldn't own mags that didn't have a baseplate.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've got some of the Colt stamped mags and they're crap.  Lots of failures to feed and the base plate fell off one.  I need to get some more 7 rounders.  What should I get?

For 8-rounders I love the 47Ds, but right now I want some flush-fitting 7 rounders.

You can buy the steel baseplate for your 47's from Wilson.  They make the magazine just slightly longer than a standard 7-rounder.

ACT-MAG 7-rounders seem to be of good quality and they are fairly inexpensive.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:38:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Metalform!!!
The Metalform 7-rounders with the flat, dimpled follower and welded baseplate are the best factory available mags.
Second are using shooting star mag bodies with the Kobramag 7-round rebuild.
These are very nice.
Wolff makes avery good 7-round mag as well. For serious work in several different 1911s (I have four) use any of the above seven rounders (I have 36).
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:04:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Wolff's seven rounders are great mags.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a bunch of Mec-Gar 7 rounders.

All have fed, fit, and functioned fine.

I have Wilsons, USGI, and Kimbers...and I would NOT hesistate to buy Mec-Gars.

IMO, they are one of the best mags out there.

Simply my opinion, take it for what it's worth, which would be exactily what you paid for it...$0.00

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top