Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2003 10:21:55 PM EDT
I am thinking my first silencer is going to be a gemtech outback.  

I want to set up a NEW gun, not one I currently own.  Mine all have plenty of rounds through them.  I want to start fresh.  I have thought about it, and I know I will not be happy if the gun is not accurate.  It is going to have to have target sights on it, probably a bull barrel.  I own Ruger's so I already like them.

What I want to do is avoid buying the wrong gun. Assume the Outback is the can I buy, or similar threads etc...

No integral can.  I want flexibility.  I may try using this can on other guns later or maybe 10/22's?

Weight is not an issue because I am willing to carry extra weight for accuracy.

I have talked myself out of the Walther P22.  It would make a great training gun for my kid, but I think I would not like the overall performance of it.  I could be convinced if I hear the right feedback.

I think the Neo is just too damn ugly.

So my short list is Ruger MKII target, S&W 22A or 41, A Buckmark, maybe a Ciener conversion for a Glock or 1911?  My thought on the Glock is that makes a great combo for the field. 9mm with 22 stuff in the bag.  Same for 1911.

Or anything you guys may suggest.  I am trying to learn BEFORE I buy.  My concern is which gun is easiest to set up.  Which is most reliable.

Help me out here.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#1]
rofl@ your IM...

The bull-barreled Mark II is the best choice.  With anything other than a Mark II or 22/45, you're getting into some potentially irritating problems.  Everyone who does cans works on Rugers, and it's the same deal as with a precision rifle...you can get something other than a Remington 700, but it's the most used weapon for a reason.

Regardless of what others may tell you, the Ciener conversions are shit.  Don't even waste your time.  If you want a converted suppressed Glock, Gemtech has a setup (I can't recall the mfr, but they can help you with it) that does run and can be set up to take a suppressor.  It's about $450 instead of $200, but if you have to have it, you need to have this one.

The Outback is a decent can.  The only issue with it, as far as I'm concerned, is the fact that the threaded portion (the mount) is aluminum.  I got an AAC Pilot instead, since it weighs about the same and has a stainless steel mount.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks QS, you hit everything I asked, and a few things I left out too!  The Pilot does not cost much more.  I like the SS mount.

I may get the 22/45, I have yet to buy one.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks QS, you hit everything I asked, and a few things I left out too!  The Pilot does not cost much more.  I like the SS mount.

I may get the 22/45, I have yet to buy one.  

I got a 22/45 and been thinking a can would make a sweet setup. Saw the exact thing at the range once. How much would one be looking at to make it happen? You would be able to remove/attach the silencer at will right?
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I would suggest you upgrade beyond the Outback because of it's aluminum threads. AAC, and Tom Bowers is selling a can called the Paradigm under licened design of SWR Joe Gaddini.

Keep in mind as you pick a gun that with a screw on your gun will need to cycle subsonic ammo. Depending upon your gun target velocity ammo might or might not be subsonic.

Gun I know will cycle Remington Subsonic, Ruger MK2 and 22/45, Beretta 21, Walther P22, SW 622 and 622,  consider AACs internal threading of the barrel and the silencer that goes with it. Nice package.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for additional info DH

Quoted:
I got a 22/45 and been thinking a can would make a sweet setup. Saw the exact thing at the range once. How much would one be looking at to make it happen? You would be able to remove/attach the silencer at will right?

Tivoli, here is a link to AAC's barrel threading.  www.advanced-armament.com/barrels.html

They say their internal "Phantom thread" starts at $100.  From reading it, it seems they only do it on SS bull barrels, but as QS said lots of people wok on Rugers.  I want to talk to them before I buy.

Basically I would say in addition to the gun, you need about $600 to $700 to set up a 22lr.

$200 Tax
$300-350 for the can
$100-$150 for barrel threading

I may get another MKII because I have owned one for 20 years.  I have made custom grips etc  so I have plenty of parts ad accesories laying around for a MKII.  This time I may get the 6 7/8" barrel.  I will probably get the gun, and refinish it with Teflon/molly coat along with scope base too.

Then send it in for thread work.

Then save up and do the tax and can.  Actually I think I am going to sell a gun and few extras to fund this project, so I can do it all in the next 6 months.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info Zoub!

Anyone been around a supressed .22lr? How quiet are these things? Like a pellet gun? I've been thinking a nice silenced .22 would be nice incase I have to kill some animal in a neighborhood one day without drawing lots of attention. Makes me wonder about a 22 rifle. How quiet can one get a 9mm or other caliber?[/thread hijacking]
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#7]

How quiet are these things? Like a pellet gun?

But without all of the action noise.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I would suggest you upgrade beyond the Outback because of it's aluminum threads. AAC, and Tom Bowers is selling a can called the Paradigm under licened design of SWR Joe Gaddini.

Keep in mind as you pick a gun that with a screw on your gun will need to cycle subsonic ammo. Depending upon your gun target velocity ammo might or might not be subsonic.

Gun I know will cycle Remington Subsonic, Ruger MK2 and 22/45, Beretta 21, Walther P22, SW 622 and 622,  consider AACs internal threading of the barrel and the silencer that goes with it. Nice package.

Actually, that's not quite accurate.  Almost all .22 ammo is subsonic out of a pistol, including the el cheapo Remington HV they sell at Wally World.  Only the Stinger, Viper, and other hypervelocity rounds will break the sound barrier in a pistol barrel less than 6", in my experience.  I use the standard velocity Remington Target when I'm just screwing around, and either CCI's SGB (high velocity solid) or Rem HV when I'm actually trying to kill something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top