Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 9:00:34 AM EDT
Im looking for a .380 for a new CC. Ive done some research on the PK380 but,
I dont know much about the Bersa. Does ne one have expierence with both and
would choose one over the other.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have heard many people complain about the hammer bite on the Walther/S&W. Otherwise apparently reliable pistols.

I once looked heavily into the Bersa/Firestorm pistols and was relatively pleased with them, considering their low cost and materials. They were quite reliable, and only some needed a little TLC to be reliable. There is a dedicated Bersa forum that I'm sure wouldn't be hard to find through google.

I own a Beretta 84 (.380) that has some heft to it, compared my fathers lightweight Bersa Thunder. After firing three standard rounds out of his Bersa, I decided that was enough and was happy that I never bought one many years ago. The recoil on my Beretta is still snappy and not pleasant to shoot, but not as bad as his. If you do go with a .380 for the purpose of carrying, I would highly recommend a minimum of a 4-5" barrel length and a steel frame and slide... Which brings me to the question of:  Why not just get a 9mm? You will honestly be much happier in all aspects.

I know this is probably grinding a nerve, as it did mine when I was told the same thing. Trust me, I tend to learn the hard way.

I would term my Beretta 84 as adequate for defensive purposes. But it sure is purdy. I always wanted one in .22lr but none of the stores ever had one in stock. However there was always one of the .380 versions on the wall and an impulse made it mine. Nice pistol, but I don't care for the caliber.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The reason for the 380 is my dad has a browing DBA which is one smoth shooting gun.
I like the round but i dont want to spend the money for the DBA or the new Beretta cheeta.

As for the 9mm I havent been able to find a compact for the same price as either of those 380s,
im not a big fan of the LCPs or Kel tecks.

The reason for the smaller gun is i currently carry a S&W M&P 40 full seized, and i want something
smaller so i dont need to adjust my clothes as much.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Thunderer. Two of em still going strong.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe the Browning .380 BDA is made by Beretta.

And in all honesty, the .380 is barely adequate for self defense.  Even the big name JHPs have very little penetration, certainly not enough to do the job you need them to do if you have to use the weapon to save your life.

Just something to consider.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats a tough question... I would probably go with the Walther but they are both great guns. Don't worry about carrying .380, find some good ammo and you will be fine.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/380ACP%20ammunition%20performance%20in%20ballistic%20gelatin.pdf

I will however say a Kahr CW9 would be a much better gun and ammo combination for a low price.... The extra cost of the gun will be made up with 1000 rounds of ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top