Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 6:12:09 PM EDT
I'm looking for a pocket pistola.  Will have my CCW completed soon, and I have a cute little Glock 27, but I feel the need for a Pocket&Go pistol as well.  In this size/weight catagory it needs to be in .380 Im afraid(So wife will shoot & one day carry it).Update:  Can be 9mm IF it is a locked breech pistol, NOT blowback  I've been looking at the Bersa Thunder in .380, as well as some others. How is the DA trigger on the Bersa?  Is it overly heavy/distracting?  How reliability on these with JHP ammo?

BTW, I'm open to suggestions on other pistols.  Here's my requirements:

Must be less than $500, Under $400 would be even better.
-Light weight and Pocketable without a big outward print.
-Slim (single-stack) grip, With room/extension for ALL my fingers to grip.
-Must have Manual Safety (wife's won't carry it otherwise)
-Must not have an overly heavy/distracting trigger pull.

Thanks Yall!
Tex78
New QuestionWhat is the difference between Bersa and Firestorm .380?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a bersa .380. In my opinion, it is a great gun. I've never had any problems with mine. You can't beat the price on them either.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the bersa. Pretty accurate. Very reliable. Good price. ( if a .380 is ok with you.)
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a used walther ppk in .380. You will be happy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]
If it were not for the manual safety requirement, I would suggest a kahr PM9 or CW9(cheaper)or MK9(black slide version can be had for around $400). Sometimes you can still find the old Colt .380 single action. After that. I got nothing.

My wife insisted on a manual safety initially as well. She initially decided on a Kimber Ultra Carry in .45 because once the gun fit her hand, she could control any caliber (as long as you didn't ask her for a controlled pair). Now she carries the PM9. If you can get her to go, get her into a good 4 or 5 day pistol class with a glock or 1911. After that you will have better options. You can get certificates that allow you to take a 4 day class for $85 at Frontsite in Nevada at cheap-certificates.com. No, I don't have an interest in either company.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#5]
While I at was my local shop last week, the Kahr Arms Rep stopped in.
He was showing guns and handed a skeptical customer a PM9,
The skeptic carries a Kel-Tec .32, and wasnt buying into the size difference to get to a 9mm
level of power.

The Kahr rep was very patient with this individual, and remarked that Kahr will be coming out with
a .380 model later in the year.
He said it will be between the Kel-tec and the PM9 in size, and will have a 6 or 7 rd mag capicity, if I recall correctly. It will also use the same striker system as the rest of the Kahrs,
and I am definitely looking forward to handling one when the come out.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#6]
KEL TEC P3AT!!!!  It's small, it's light, it's relative inexpensive.  With the new extractor design it should be mucho reliable, too.

Don't sweat the manual safety (or lack thereof), just be sure to use a concealment /pocket holster that covers the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a Bersa .380 and I never had one bit of problem with it. Nice guns especialy for the money. If you do not mind the .380 caliber a Bersa would be a good choice.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:09:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I really like my Walther PPK.  

I bought it for under $500, very well made pistol, feels right in my hand.

Pretty accurate, and I have not once experienced a jam, in over 200 rounds.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:59:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
KEL TEC P3AT!!!!  It's small, it's light, it's relative inexpensive.  With the new extractor design it should be mucho reliable, too.

Don't sweat the manual safety (or lack thereof), just be sure to use a concealment /pocket holster that covers the trigger guard.

Also a Kel-tec P32 that I use as a pocket gun and about $225 out the door.  Here in Minnesota since it became a "shall issue" state again they can't keep the P32 or PA3T.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the Bersa, its been 100% through about 700 rounds now. The DA pull is light and very smooth. The quality and features of this pistol is what you'd expect of a handgun that costs a couple hundred dollars more.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#11]
A friend of mine has a Bersa .380, the magazine ejects everytime the slide closes. Bersa wants $90 to repair it. I won't be buying any Bersas, doesn't sound like good customer service to me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Doeas anyone know what the difference is between the Bersa and the Firestorm .380?

They look identical!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have a bersa .380. In my opinion, it is a great gun. I've never had any problems with mine. You can't beat the price on them either.

I own a Bersa too it is good but I also own a >>Makarov<< it is better.  Both are PPK style/copies.

Makarov has 1 more in capacity.
Slightly more formidable round.
Is made of metal not plastic.
Is equally concealabe.
Just as easy to handle.
Cheaper gun.  $165 with recieving fee for me
Cheaper ammo.  Especially in bulk 1000rds runs a little over $90
More accurate in my experience.
More and usually cheaper accessories.

Buy a MAKAROVget a Bersa later.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#14]
BTT Firestorm vs. Bersa
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
BTT Firestorm vs. Bersa

Buy a used walther ppk in .380. You will be happy
I would suggest a kahr PM9 or CW9(cheaper)or MK9
Kimber Ultra Carry in .45
Kel-Tec .32
KEL TEC P3AT

>>>>We are trying to tell you something.<<<<

Doeas anyone know what the difference is between the Bersa and the Firestorm .380?

They look identical!

Both S.American, both made in Argentina, possibly in the same factory.

>>>If these are the only 2 options you will consider, go Bersa<<<

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm looking for a pocket pistola.  Will have my CCW completed soon, and I have a cute little Glock 27, but I feel the need for a Pocket&Go pistol as well.  In this size/weight catagory it needs to be in .380 Im afraid(So wife will shoot & one day carry it).Update:  Can be 9mm IF it is a locked breech pistol, NOT blowback  I've been looking at the Bersa Thunder in .380, as well as some others. How is the DA trigger on the Bersa?  Is it overly heavy/distracting?  How reliability on these with JHP ammo?

I have a supprise for you.  Your glock 27 is smaller in all dimensions compared to the bersa or other ppk/s clones.  I have my bersa and glock 26 infront of me right now.  Slide on the glock is a little wider, but the grips on the bersa are wider than the glock.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a bersa 380 but the trigger reset kept breaking.  It wouldn't last more than 20 rounds and I would have to get it repaired.  After the third time I traded it in on the new Walther PPK/S.  Wish I would have just purchased the PPK earlier.  Just my .02.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top